180 w/ SDP -> 183

Jeff Pyle
Hello,

A small number of my PSTN carriers send 180 Ringing with SDP when inband
ringback is available.  This causes fits in some versions of Asterisk,
sending an SDPless 180 and immediately later a 183 with SDP.  Some UACs
render that very strangely.

How would one go about detecting a 180 with SDP in a reply_route of Opensips
and, in effect, flip it to a 183 with the same SDP?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: 180 w/ SDP -> 183

Thomas Gelf
Hi Jeff,

OpenSIPS itself does not allow you to rewrite status codes, but you can
find a perl script doing so on the OpenSIPS website (tutorials):

  http://www.opensips.org/index.php?n=Resources.DocsTutPerl183to180

However, this will not help you as I assume there is no SDP in your 180
replies. And "inventing" such an SDP would probably fool the client, but
you'll not hear anything, no RBT.

Regards,
Thomas Gelf

Jeff Pyle wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A small number of my PSTN carriers send 180 Ringing with SDP when inband
> ringback is available.  This causes fits in some versions of Asterisk,
> sending an SDPless 180 and immediately later a 183 with SDP.  Some UACs
> render that very strangely.
>
> How would one go about detecting a 180 with SDP in a reply_route of Opensips
> and, in effect, flip it to a 183 with the same SDP?
>

> Thanks,
> Jeff

Re: 180 w/ SDP -> 183

Jeff Pyle
Hi Thomas,

I did see your script.  It's very nice.  I have two problems with it.
First, I can't get my mind around how it works (my learning curve), and
second, it does the opposite of what I need.  Perhaps once I understand how
it works I'll be able to implement it in reverse.

- Jeff

On 4/14/09 8:51 AM, "Thomas Gelf" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> OpenSIPS itself does not allow you to rewrite status codes, but you can
> find a perl script doing so on the OpenSIPS website (tutorials):
>
>   http://www.opensips.org/index.php?n=Resources.DocsTutPerl183to180
>
> However, this will not help you as I assume there is no SDP in your 180
> replies. And "inventing" such an SDP would probably fool the client, but
> you'll not hear anything, no RBT.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas Gelf
>
> Jeff Pyle wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> A small number of my PSTN carriers send 180 Ringing with SDP when inband
>> ringback is available.  This causes fits in some versions of Asterisk,
>> sending an SDPless 180 and immediately later a 183 with SDP.  Some UACs
>> render that very strangely.
>>
>> How would one go about detecting a 180 with SDP in a reply_route of Opensips
>> and, in effect, flip it to a 183 with the same SDP?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Jeff

Re: 180 w/ SDP -> 183

Thomas Gelf
"How it works":
- OpenSIPS calls the perl function and hands over the current reply
- perl function removes body, adjusts headers, removes topmost via and
sends out the packet with new status line on raw socket

"Implement it in reverse":
Will not work, see previous answer.

Could it be that your problem lays somewhere else? I'm not aware of UACs
being in trouble when there is a 183 shortly after a 180.

Cheers,
Thomas

Jeff Pyle wrote:
> I did see your script.  It's very nice.  I have two problems with it.
> First, I can't get my mind around how it works (my learning curve), and
> second, it does the opposite of what I need.  Perhaps once I understand how
> it works I'll be able to implement it in reverse.

Re: 180 w/ SDP -> 183

Jeff Pyle
I'm sure the trouble does lie elsewhere.  But, rather than actually fix the
problem in Asterisk, if there were a few lines of reply_route script that
could change a 180 to a 183 when an SDP was present, that's much easier and
just as effective.  Although, granted, it doesn't actually fix the problem.

- Jeff

On 4/14/09 9:08 AM, "Thomas Gelf" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "How it works":
> - OpenSIPS calls the perl function and hands over the current reply
> - perl function removes body, adjusts headers, removes topmost via and
> sends out the packet with new status line on raw socket
>
> "Implement it in reverse":
> Will not work, see previous answer.
>
> Could it be that your problem lays somewhere else? I'm not aware of UACs
> being in trouble when there is a 183 shortly after a 180.
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas

Re: 180 w/ SDP -> 183

Thomas Gelf
Are you sure that your Asterisk is sending 180 replies with SDP?

Jeff Pyle wrote:
> I'm sure the trouble does lie elsewhere.  But, rather than actually fix the
> problem in Asterisk, if there were a few lines of reply_route script that
> could change a 180 to a 183 when an SDP was present, that's much easier and
> just as effective.  Although, granted, it doesn't actually fix the problem.

Re: 180 w/ SDP -> 183

Jeff Pyle
No.  Some of my outbound PSTN carriers' gateways are.  In this case, the UAC
(say, a Polycom handset) sends a call to Asterisk, who sends the call to
Opensips for least-cost routing, who decides on a carrier to send it to.
When the 180 with SDP makes it back to Asterisk, it gets sent first as an
180 and then a 183 with SDP.

It's not a big issue.  This was one of those things where if it were quick
to fix it in Opensips, then excellent.  If not, nothing lost.

- Jeff