Access to statistics variables from within script

Access to statistics variables from within script

Urtho
Hi,

I can update and reset stats variable from within a script. But can I access it's value from the script itself?

Pawel,

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Access to statistics variables from within script

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Pawel,

for read, the stats vars are available only via the MI interface (the
get_statistics function).

do you want to read the stats from the statistics module only, or all of
them?

www.voice-system.ro

On 2010-03-03, at 19:20, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:

> Hi Pawel,
>
> for read, the stats vars are available only via the MI interface (the
> get_statistics function).
>
> do you want to read the stats from the statistics module only, or all of
> them?

Nah, only the ones defined in my script/statistics module and log/print them and reset them in a timer route.

Pawel,

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Access to statistics variables from within script

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Paweł,

this can be simpler done with an external script that runs on cron and
periodically fetch the stats you need (via opensipsctl fifo
get_statistics), dump the values somewhere and resets them (via
opensipsctl fifo reset_statistics -
http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsCoreMi16#toc11).

The idea is to keep non-sip processing outside opensips - let opensips
to its job with the SIP stuff and do other apps to take care of the side
jobs (like CDRs, stats, etc).

Do you think this will work for you ?

Paweł Pierścionek wrote:

> On 2010-03-03, at 19:20, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
>

>> Hi Pawel,
>>
>> for read, the stats vars are available only via the MI interface (the
>> get_statistics function).
>>
>> do you want to read the stats from the statistics module only, or all of
>> them?
>>

> Nah, only the ones defined in my script/statistics module and log/print them and reset them in a timer route.
>
> Pawel,

www.voice-system.ro

Re: Access to statistics variables from within script

Richard Revels
Most likely this is where Bogdan is headed but, if you only want to increment and reset some variables in the script there are global vars available to do that with.  cfgutils module.

#first a var that is shared across all processes
modparam("cfgutils", "shvset", "didtracker=i:0")

#now one that will be unique to each process thread
modparam("cfgutils", "varset", "threadtracker=s:00000")

Then in the script to, say, randomly select a from user:

                $avp(s:newfromheader) = $hdr(From);
                $avp(s:holder)=$shv(didtracker);
                $shv(didtracker)=$shv(didtracker) + 1;
                if( $shv(didtracker) == 50000 )
                        $shv(didtracker)=0;
                $avp(s:offset)= 5 - $(avp(s:holder){s.len});
                $var(matchup)=$(var(threadtracker){s.substr,0,$avp(s:offset)}) + $avp(s:holder);
                if( dp_translate("42", "$var(matchup)/$var(matchup)") )
                {
                        $avp(s:newfromheader) = "sip:" + $var(matchup) + "@" + $fd;  #this could change again for oli tag or something so
                        setflag(FLAG_CHANGED_FROMHEADER);   #use flag to insure we only change from header once in t_relay route
                }

Richard

On Mar 3, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Paweł Pierścionek wrote:

> On 2010-03-03, at 19:20, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
>
>> Hi Pawel,
>>
>> for read, the stats vars are available only via the MI interface (the
>> get_statistics function).
>>
>> do you want to read the stats from the statistics module only, or all of
>> them?
>
> Nah, only the ones defined in my script/statistics module and log/print them and reset them in a timer route.
>
> Pawel,_______________________________________________

Re: Access to statistics variables from within script

Richard Revels
Or you could do this too.  : >

On Mar 4, 2010, at 5:48 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:

> Paweł,
>
> this can be simpler done with an external script that runs on cron and
> periodically fetch the stats you need (via opensipsctl fifo
> get_statistics), dump the values somewhere and resets them (via
> opensipsctl fifo reset_statistics -
> http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsCoreMi16#toc11).
>
> The idea is to keep non-sip processing outside opensips - let opensips
> to its job with the SIP stuff and do other apps to take care of the side
> jobs (like CDRs, stats, etc).
>
> Do you think this will work for you ?
>
> Regards,
> Bogdan
>
> Paweł Pierścionek wrote:
>> On 2010-03-03, at 19:20, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Pawel,
>>>
>>> for read, the stats vars are available only via the MI interface (the
>>> get_statistics function).
>>>
>>> do you want to read the stats from the statistics module only, or all of
>>> them?
>>>

>> Nah, only the ones defined in my script/statistics module and log/print them and reset them in a timer route.
>>
>> Pawel,

> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> www.voice-system.ro

Re: Access to statistics variables from within script

Hi Richard,

1 important comment here - the global vars are something more powerful
than statistic vars. And of course, they come with more penalties.
Operating with the global vars requires internal locking (over the
variable) - this may lead to a general slowdown of opensips as all the
procs will keep syncronizing over the lock for the this vars. The stat
vars are using atomic ops (internally) and they do not require locking.

just my 2 cents on this,
Bogdan

www.voice-system.ro

Re: Access to statistics variables from within script

Richard Revels
Good to remember.  Thank you.  I normally spend tons of time thinking about how and why I'm accessing the database and file system and no time thinking about how I'm manipulating variables in script.

While we are on this subject, I've always wondered about something, but not enough to test it out.  I had to modify the snippet below quite a bit before sending it due to the fact that I use m4 and let it convert strings to integer named avp's.  One of the primary reasons I started using m4 was the warning in the docs about the speed difference of manipulating avp's with string names vs avp's with integer names and how using aliases on the avp's was a better idea.  Do you know if any comparisons were ever done to quantify that difference?  I'm wondering if the difference between reading, then modifying 1000 avp's using string vs integer would be like 10 milliseconds vs 1 second or 10 milliseconds vs 100 milliseconds.

Like I say, this was never a big enough concern to make me test it out but if you know then I would like to know.  : >

Richard

On Mar 4, 2010, at 6:45 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> 1 important comment here - the global vars are something more powerful
> than statistic vars. And of course, they come with more penalties.
> Operating with the global vars requires internal locking (over the
> variable) - this may lead to a general slowdown of opensips as all the
> procs will keep syncronizing over the lock for the this vars. The stat
> vars are using atomic ops (internally) and they do not require locking.
>
> just my 2 cents on this,
> Bogdan
>
> Richard Revels wrote:
>> Most likely this is where Bogdan is headed but, if you only want to increment and reset some variables in the script there are global vars available to do that with.  cfgutils module.
>>
>> #first a var that is shared across all processes
>> modparam("cfgutils", "shvset", "didtracker=i:0")
>>
>> #now one that will be unique to each process thread
>> modparam("cfgutils", "varset", "threadtracker=s:00000")
>>
>> Then in the script to, say, randomly select a from user:
>>
>>                $avp(s:newfromheader) = $hdr(From);
>>                $avp(s:holder)=$shv(didtracker);
>>                $shv(didtracker)=$shv(didtracker) + 1;
>>                if( $shv(didtracker) == 50000 )
>>                        $shv(didtracker)=0;
>>                $avp(s:offset)= 5 - $(avp(s:holder){s.len});
>>                $var(matchup)=$(var(threadtracker){s.substr,0,$avp(s:offset)}) + $avp(s:holder);
>>                if( dp_translate("42", "$var(matchup)/$var(matchup)") )
>>                {
>>                        $avp(s:newfromheader) = "sip:" + $var(matchup) + "@" + $fd;  #this could change again for oli tag or something so
>>                        setflag(FLAG_CHANGED_FROMHEADER);   #use flag to insure we only change from header once in t_relay route
>>                }
>>

>> Richard

>>> Nah, only the ones defined in my script/statistics module and log/print them and reset them in a timer route.
>>>
>>> Pawel,_______________________________________________
>>> Users mailing list
>>> [hidden email]

> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> www.voice-system.ro

Re: Access to statistics variables from within script

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Richard,

definitely there is a difference , but never tried to quantify it - of
course, we can make a simple script to loop 100000 times and search for
an AVP in a list of 100 AVPs.
But as searching for an AVP is pure CPU, the question is how relevant is
this difference relative to a DB query duration or DNS lookup ;)