Business around OpenSIPS

I guess the yesterday discussion touched a hot topic - how to get
business work around OpenSIPS. By just looking at the number of messages
in the thread
(http://lists.opensips.org/pipermail/users/2009-February/003086.html)
and a lot of passion in the debate.

So, I consider this topic must be addressed in a way that both give some
business help for people looking for OpenSIPS project and also to keep
the project business independent (like driven).

There are some "tool" available to solve the issue:

1) new "[hidden email]" mailing list - whatever business
related topic you have,use this list.

2) a web page for listing business entities that may help you in
whatever OpenSIPS related issue. Keep in mind, this page is just a
listing (per sections) and not a place for publicity or service/product
descriptions. The idea is simple: if you do business around OpenSIPS,
you may list yourself there for people to find you - nothing more. Page
is free to edit, so anybody can list himself:
          http://www.opensips.org/pmwiki.php?n=Resources.Business

Posting rules are available on the page.

Any feedback/comments on this topic is welcome.

Re: Business around OpenSIPS

Iñaki Baz Castillo
2009/2/12 Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]>:
> 2) a web page for listing business entities that may help you in
> whatever OpenSIPS related issue. Keep in mind, this page is just a
> listing (per sections) and not a place for publicity or service/product
> descriptions. The idea is simple: if you do business around OpenSIPS,
> you may list yourself there for people to find you - nothing more. Page
> is free to edit, so anybody can list himself:
>          http://www.opensips.org/pmwiki.php?n=Resources.Business

Can just "persons" appear in that list? (I mean withou a company).

<[hidden email]>

Re: Business around OpenSIPS

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Iñaki

Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:

> 2009/2/12 Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]>:
>
>> 2) a web page for listing business entities that may help you in
>> whatever OpenSIPS related issue. Keep in mind, this page is just a
>> listing (per sections) and not a place for publicity or service/product
>> descriptions. The idea is simple: if you do business around OpenSIPS,
>> you may list yourself there for people to find you - nothing more. Page
>> is free to edit, so anybody can list himself:
>>          http://www.opensips.org/pmwiki.php?n=Resources.Business
>>

> Can just "persons" appear in that list? (I mean withou a company).

no, whatever business entity is free to list - company, person, alien,
free-lancer , etc...

Re: Business around OpenSIPS

Iñaki Baz Castillo
2009/2/12 Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Iñaki
>
> Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
>>
>> 2009/2/12 Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]>:
>>

>>> 2) a web page for listing business entities that may help you in
>>> whatever OpenSIPS related issue. Keep in mind, this page is just a
>>> listing (per sections) and not a place for publicity or service/product
>>> descriptions. The idea is simple: if you do business around OpenSIPS,
>>> you may list yourself there for people to find you - nothing more. Page
>>> is free to edit, so anybody can list himself:
>>>         http://www.opensips.org/pmwiki.php?n=Resources.Business
>>>

>> Can just "persons" appear in that list? (I mean withou a company).
>>

> no, whatever business entity is free to list - company, person, alien,
> free-lancer , etc...

Sorry, does it mean "yes" to my question? I don't understand the "no"
in front of your reply.
Thanks.

<[hidden email]>

Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:

> 2009/2/12 Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi Iñaki
>>
>> Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:

>>> Can just "persons" appear in that list? (I mean withou a company).
>>>

>> no, whatever business entity is free to list - company, person, alien,
>> free-lancer , etc...
>>

> Sorry, does it mean "yes" to my question? I don't understand the "no"
> in front of your reply.
> Thanks.

let, me rephrase :

" yes, whatever business entity is free to list - company, person,
alien, free-lancer , etc..."

Re: Business around OpenSIPS

Brett Nemeroff
Bogdan,
Hey, great idea. However, I'm concerned that we can't list any information. I understand why you say this, it certainly it's supposed to be a free billboard. But how would a user know what to click on?

I think maybe we should allow a few bullet points to name some specialities. I know, once you open that door...

Thanks for everything.. really.. :)
-Brett

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 5:58 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Brett,

The idea is to prevent that page is becoming a place for marketing
(where people do present and describe their products and services).

To help a bit, I created the "section" to be easier to see what a
company/person has to offer  - at least as area. If you want more info,
than you have to visit the provided link.

Of course, it time, we can get a better granularity with the "section"
to be more specific about services/products....this is only the start.

Brett Nemeroff wrote:

> Bogdan,
> Hey, great idea. However, I'm concerned that we can't list any
> information. I understand why you say this, it certainly it's supposed
> to be a free billboard. But how would a user know what to click on?
>
> I think maybe we should allow a few bullet points to name some
> specialities. I know, once you open that door...
>
> Thanks for everything.. really.. :)
> -Brett
>

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 5:58 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I guess the yesterday discussion touched a hot topic - how to get
>     business work around OpenSIPS. By just looking at the number of
>     messages
>     in the thread
>     (http://lists.opensips.org/pipermail/users/2009-February/003086.html)
>     and a lot of passion in the debate.
>
>     So, I consider this topic must be addressed in a way that both
>     give some
>     business help for people looking for OpenSIPS project and also to keep
>     the project business independent (like driven).
>
>     There are some "tool" available to solve the issue:
>
>     1) new "[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>" mailing list - whatever business
>     related topic you have,use this list.
>
>     2) a web page for listing business entities that may help you in
>     whatever OpenSIPS related issue. Keep in mind, this page is just a
>     listing (per sections) and not a place for publicity or
>     service/product
>     descriptions. The idea is simple: if you do business around OpenSIPS,
>     you may list yourself there for people to find you - nothing more.
>     Page
>     is free to edit, so anybody can list himself:
>              http://www.opensips.org/pmwiki.php?n=Resources.Business
>
>     Posting rules are available on the page.
>

>     Any feedback/comments on this topic is welcome.
>
>     Regards,
>     Bogdan

Re: Business around OpenSIPS

Brett Nemeroff
Fair enough.

Thanks for putting it together!
-Brett

Brett Nemeroff wrote:
Bogdan,
Hey, great idea. However, I'm concerned that we can't list any information. I understand why you say this, it certainly it's supposed to be a free billboard. But how would a user know what to click on?
I think maybe we should allow a few bullet points to name some specialities. I know, once you open that door...

Thanks for everything.. really.. :)
-Brett

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 5:58 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

   Hi,

[...]

Adrian Georgescu

I know that is a very hairy subject and we have precedents behind us that we can learn from.

An open Wiki page will likely yield, given enough time, on opensips.org the N-th directory listing of 'I am also here doing some xSER stuff'

I would rather make a page where relevant consultants /products are listed only based on recommandations. That is, only people and products recommended by other customers should be allowed. It would be great to find an innovative way to validate input based on some social networking criteria rather than a list me here button.

Adrian

On Feb 12, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:

2009/2/12 Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]>:
2) a web page for listing business entities that may help you in
whatever OpenSIPS related issue. Keep in mind, this page is just a
listing (per sections) and not a place for publicity or service/product
descriptions. The idea is simple: if you do business around OpenSIPS,
you may list yourself there for people to find you - nothing more. Page
is free to edit, so anybody can list himself:
        http://www.opensips.org/pmwiki.php?n=Resources.Business

Can just "persons" appear in that list? (I mean withou a company).

<[hidden email]>

Re: Business around OpenSIPS

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Adrian,

I agree that something like that will be good, but if you have an idea
about how to implement it..... I'm ready for suggestions :).

Adrian Georgescu wrote:

> Bogdan
>
> I know that is a very hairy subject and we have precedents behind us
> that we can learn from.
>
> An open Wiki page will likely yield, given enough time, on
> opensips.org the N-th directory listing of 'I am also here doing some
> xSER stuff'
>
> I would rather make a page where relevant consultants /products are
> listed only based on recommandations. That is, only people and
> products recommended by other customers should be allowed. It would be
> great to find an innovative way to validate input based on some social
> networking criteria rather than a list me here button.
>

> Adrian
>

> On Feb 12, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
>
>> 2009/2/12 Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>> 2) a web page for listing business entities that may help you in
>>> whatever OpenSIPS related issue. Keep in mind, this page is just a
>>> listing (per sections) and not a place for publicity or service/product
>>> descriptions. The idea is simple: if you do business around OpenSIPS,
>>> you may list yourself there for people to find you - nothing more. Page
>>> is free to edit, so anybody can list himself:
>>>         http://www.opensips.org/pmwiki.php?n=Resources.Business
>>
>> Can just "persons" appear in that list? (I mean withou a company).
>>
>> --
>> Iñaki Baz Castillo
>> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

Re: Business around OpenSIPS

Alex Balashov

It can, in some cases, create some interesting catch-22 issues, though.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:33:58 +0200, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Adrian,
>
> I agree that something like that will be good, but if you have an idea
> about how to implement it..... I'm ready for suggestions :).
>
> Regards,
> Bogdan
>
> Adrian Georgescu wrote:
>> Bogdan
>>
>> I know that is a very hairy subject and we have precedents behind us
>> that we can learn from.
>>
>> An open Wiki page will likely yield, given enough time, on
>> opensips.org the N-th directory listing of 'I am also here doing some
>> xSER stuff'
>>
>> I would rather make a page where relevant consultants /products are
>> listed only based on recommandations. That is, only people and
>> products recommended by other customers should be allowed. It would be
>> great to find an innovative way to validate input based on some social
>> networking criteria rather than a list me here button.
>>

>> Adrian
>>

>> On Feb 12, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:

> service/product
> Page
>>>
>>> Can just "persons" appear in that list? (I mean withou a company).

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems
Web    : http://www.evaristesys.com/
Tel    : (+1) (678) 954-0670
Direct : (+1) (678) 954-0671
Mobile : (+1) (678) 237-1775

Re: Business around OpenSIPS

Adrian Georgescu
What I have noticed is that open wiki pages, polling and voting mechanisms tend to be easily polluted or misused. What can be faked with much more effort are:

1. Links to customer PR sites
2. Software that advertises that it uses or complements OpenSIPS
3. Third party blogs

Practically anything that indirectly point to a resource seem to be the way Google calculates relevance to a web resource. Maybe we can re-use this same logic google does?

This way we can still have the  open wiki page (easy entry) while adding a column with confirmations/recommendation from third parties (confirmation). Those with zero references are easily  spotted and can be demoted after a grace period of time.

Can this work in your opinion?

On Feb 12, 2009, at 7:33 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:

Hi Adrian,

I agree that something like that will be good, but if you have an idea about how to implement it..... I'm ready for suggestions :).

Bogdan

2009/2/12 Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>>:
2) a web page for listing business entities that may help you in
whatever OpenSIPS related issue. Keep in mind, this page is just a
listing (per sections) and not a place for publicity or service/product
descriptions. The idea is simple: if you do business around OpenSIPS,
you may list yourself there for people to find you - nothing more. Page
is free to edit, so anybody can list himself:
       http://www.opensips.org/pmwiki.php?n=Resources.Business

Can just "persons" appear in that list? (I mean withou a company).

<[hidden email] <[hidden email]>>

Re: Business around OpenSIPS

Tavis P.
Would it be acceptable to post a link to a company that uses OpenSIPS at the core of its architecture?
The concern is that our services focus on the delivery of VoIP rather than OpenSER related software or support and i'm not sure if your intentions include companies in this category

Adrian Georgescu wrote:
[...]

Adrian Georgescu wrote:
Bogdan

[...]

Guys,
Sure posing spam is a problem. That's a wiki's life. Do we really need a voting system for posting information about developers?

I mean, it sounds neat and all, but that almost seems like it requires a forum of it's own.. Which I think is a great idea.

-Brett

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Adrian Georgescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Bogdan