Calls are not properly distributed using Load Balancer

Calls are not properly distributed using Load Balancer

Faisal Rehman
Hi Guys,

I was testing my OpenSIPS loadbalancer in live production environment where I was having 5 destination servers which should be getting equal calls load but I was surprised to see that there were two servers where there was no call but rest of the three servers were having equal traffic, so what can be the possible reasons for that issue?

Regards,

Faisal Rehman

Re: Calls are not properly distributed using Load Balancer

Vlad Paiu
Hello,

If using the load_balancer module, do the two servers that get no traffic at all have the same assigned resources as the other 3 server that get even distribution of calls ?

Regards,
Vlad Paiu
OpenSIPS Developer

On 01/04/2012 11:18 AM, Faisal Rehman wrote:
Hi Guys,

I was testing my OpenSIPS loadbalancer in live production environment where I was having 5 destination servers which should be getting equal calls load but I was surprised to see that there were two servers where there was no call but rest of the three servers were having equal traffic, so what can be the possible reasons for that issue?

Regards,

Faisal Rehman

Re: Calls are not properly distributed using Load Balancer

SamyGo
Hi Faisal,

Please share the contents of load_balancer table. I doubt that the group defined (or as Vlad doubt resource assigned)for the servers are different thats why they are not receiving the traffic.

Regards,
Sammy.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Vlad Paiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The issue is fixed & it was due to my mistake because I was using some different values in the dispatcher table. By the way I have got one more question which is that how can I check the total packet loss in OpenSISP for the whole traffic?

Regards,

Faisal Rehman

Re: Calls are not properly distributed using Load Balancer

SamyGo
Hi,

Really nice to see your issue is resolved, mind sharing the mistake you had in table !?

 About the packet loss, try using some traffic monitoring tool for this like ntop, or some snmp based interface monitoring utility to find packet loss. If you are talking about call Media packet losses then you can get the stats if you're using RTPproxy. Rtpproxy publishes media stats at the end of the call.

Regards,
Sammy.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Faisal Rehman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guys,

The issue is fixed & it was due to my mistake because I was using some different values in the dispatcher table. By the way I have got one more question which is that how can I check the total packet loss in OpenSISP for the whole traffic?

Regards,

Faisal Rehman

Re: Calls are not properly distributed using Load Balancer

Faisal Rehman
Hi Sammy,

The mistake was very minor as in the load_balancer table I was giving group id as 1 to all the destination servers while in dispatcher table the group id was same for the three servers as 1 but different for the two servers as 0 & 2, so that was the reason there were no calls on these two servers & was fixed assigning the same group id as 1 to all the servers & the calls were distributed equally after the second load test :)

Ntop is I think for network monitoring & I installed it on one of my servers but don't know the exact mechanism of its monitoring for SIP especially. I am only dealing here with SIP yet so there isn't any built in tool or command in OpenSIPS for packet loss info.

Regards,

Faisal Rehman

Re: Calls are not properly distributed using Load Balancer

SamyGo
Feels good to know that it wasnt really a big issue at all.

Regarding packet losses monitoring in opensips !! I wonder if you can use siptrace module for that !! and guess I found this

on main page of opensips.org !!

Now I'm thinking if you can use this module, enable siptrace for all incoming call and store+fwd that siptrace of the call to analyze, maybe you'll be able to tell the packet losses in SIP communication.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Faisal Rehman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I will definitely explore it and will share the conclusions with you :)

Regards,

Faisal Rehman

Re: Calls are not properly distributed using Load Balancer

Faisal Rehman
Hi Everyone,

Today I felt a strange problem with my OpenSIPS load balancer that it started giving me 503 Service Unavailable error and rejecting all the calls, & I couldn't see anything in logs. I have not restarted it yet but just want to know the actual reason of it if anybody has faced the same problem before.

One more thing that in the MySQL load_balancer table, I have given resource pstn=100 for each destination server but the calls are more than this so would that be effecting the load balancer & in a result failing all the calls. Should I have to increase the resources for each server in load_balancer table??

Regards,

Faisal Rehman