Choosing the latest version

John Quick
Hi all,

I'm working on the design for a scalable and resilient Registrar/Proxy
solution based largely on the presentations, blogs and articles at
opensips.org covering this topic.
It will probably use an edge proxy as load balancer in front of an
unspecified number of Registrar/Proxy nodes, no doubt in front of
unspecified number of media servers (probably FreeSwitch). To get
scalability/resilience/fast switchover between nodes it will use the
clusterer module to replicate some selection of location and dialogue data.

Given that the clusterer module and many related areas are due for a big
upgrade in v2.4 due for release in May, I am wondering which version of
OpenSIPS to use for my project today. If I download and use the development
head version from git, v2.4-dev, will this be stable enough to work with or
is this too "bleeding edge"?
Might it even be useful to the OpenSIPS developers to have someone testing
this functionality?
Or should I stick with the stable v2.3 and risk having to do a lot of
upgrading after May so as to get the benefits of new features in the new
version?

Thanks in advance.

John Quick
Smartvox Limited
Web: www.smartvox.co.uk

Re: Choosing the latest version

Liviu Chircu
Hi John,

I would definitely recommend you wait until the 2.4 feature freeze /
start of beta, which will happen within 2 weeks (give or take one). The
dialog "hot backup" mechanism will receive an important update, covering
all sorts of edge cases which could lead to missing CDRs following a
failover to the hot backup box.

Moving on to scalable usrloc - the whole "clustering" concept will not
only be a lot better defined in 2.4 (no strange VIP requirements,
well-explained docs, new tutorials, etc.), but there will also be NoSQL
hooks for it - everything working seamlessly, with no scripting at all.
On top of this, we've considered the "edge" vs. "core" cluster placement
cases, in other words "to Path or not to Path internally" - again, all
of this will be tunable using just modparams.

I am pushing hard to get this finished - it's a lot of usrloc
refactoring, but there is also plenty of time left. Sorry if I didn't
make a lot of sense, more code and updates to come soon :)

Best regards,

Liviu Chircu
OpenSIPS Developer
http://www.opensips-solutions.com

On 07.03.2018 14:30, John Quick wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on the design for a scalable and resilient Registrar/Proxy
> solution based largely on the presentations, blogs and articles at
> opensips.org covering this topic.
> It will probably use an edge proxy as load balancer in front of an
> unspecified number of Registrar/Proxy nodes, no doubt in front of
> unspecified number of media servers (probably FreeSwitch). To get
> scalability/resilience/fast switchover between nodes it will use the
> clusterer module to replicate some selection of location and dialogue data.
>
> Given that the clusterer module and many related areas are due for a big
> upgrade in v2.4 due for release in May, I am wondering which version of
> OpenSIPS to use for my project today. If I download and use the development
> head version from git, v2.4-dev, will this be stable enough to work with or
> is this too "bleeding edge"?
> Might it even be useful to the OpenSIPS developers to have someone testing
> this functionality?
> Or should I stick with the stable v2.3 and risk having to do a lot of
> upgrading after May so as to get the benefits of new features in the new
> version?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> John Quick
> Smartvox Limited
> Web: www.smartvox.co.uk

Re: Choosing the latest version

John Quick
Thanks Liviu,

What you say makes sense. It looks like I should wait for v2.4 to reach a
more stable state. I hope my customer can wait.
Is the Clusterer module completely changed in v2.4 or just tweaked and
improved? I'm wondering if I can do some preliminary work now using v2.3

I've been using older versions (in fact v1.11) to build simple edge/core
test rig, then adding a Path header at the edge before relaying the REGISTER
request to the core Registrar.
It is challenging to know what Record-Route header to add when a call is
made to the registered device, especially if it is behind NAT. Replicating
the path field internally seems a good option for backup nodes, but have you
also solved the problem of NAT pings only coming from the home core server
and not from them all? If so, which version did that get into?

Please could you email me when v2.4 gets the big update and feature freeze.
Thanks.

John Quick
Smartvox Limited
Email: john.quick at smartvox.co.uk
Web: www.smartvox.co.uk

Re: Choosing the latest version

Giovanni Maruzzelli
You can use the 2.4 dev packages right now ( nightly build).

Only problem can be if the database schema change, this you will easily find and fix.

-giovanni

Sent via mobile, please forgive typos and brevity.

cell: +39 347 266 56 18
Giovanni Maruzzelli
OpenTelecom.IT

Email: john.quick at smartvox.co.uk
Web: www.smartvox.co.uk

Re: Choosing the latest version

Liviu Chircu
Hi John,

Yes, we have also solved the "extraneous pinging" problem, both with the
internal and NoSQL storage variants of the distributed usrloc. It is
only a matter of shipping the code now. I will definitely make sure to
update you as we push code and docs for the areas you're interested in.

On 07.03.2018 16:20, John Quick wrote:

> Thanks Liviu,
>
> What you say makes sense. It looks like I should wait for v2.4 to reach a
> more stable state. I hope my customer can wait.
> Is the Clusterer module completely changed in v2.4 or just tweaked and
> improved? I'm wondering if I can do some preliminary work now using v2.3
>
> I've been using older versions (in fact v1.11) to build simple edge/core
> test rig, then adding a Path header at the edge before relaying the REGISTER
> request to the core Registrar.
> It is challenging to know what Record-Route header to add when a call is
> made to the registered device, especially if it is behind NAT. Replicating
> the path field internally seems a good option for backup nodes, but have you
> also solved the problem of NAT pings only coming from the home core server
> and not from them all? If so, which version did that get into?
>
> Please could you email me when v2.4 gets the big update and feature freeze.
> Thanks.
>
> John Quick
> Smartvox Limited
> Email: john.quick at smartvox.co.uk
> Web: www.smartvox.co.uk

Re: Choosing the latest version

SamyGo
Hi Liviu,
So, this is great, you're saying that individual opensips servers(different Public IPs) can still synchronize the user-locations (or dialog ) states  using internal replication mode right !?

Regards,
Sammy

Email: john.quick at smartvox.co.uk
Web: www.smartvox.co.uk