Does Media_Relay component implies in impossible direct media?

Does Media_Relay component implies in impossible direct media?

Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho

Hi.

In my project, UACs should run direct media. RTP packets direct transmitted from each other.

However, due to NAT presence, I'm thinking about to use MediaProxy.

In this case, is it possible to get direct media after some UAC negotiations passing through the Media_Relay component, or is it impossible? That is, does the media will always pass through the Media_Relay host too?

Any hint will be very helpful!

Thanks alot.

RODRIGO PIMENTA CARVALHO
Inatel Competence Center
Software
Ph: +55 35 3471 9200 RAMAL 979

Re: Does Media_Relay component implies in impossible direct media?

Nabeel

Rodrigo,

It is the responsibility of ICE to determine in which situation it is best to establish a direct connection, versus use of STUN, versus use of a media relay.

We cannot manually decide which clients will connect directly and which will not.

On 17 Oct 2015 22:07, "Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi.

In my project, UACs should run direct media. RTP packets direct transmitted from each other.

However, due to NAT presence, I'm thinking about to use MediaProxy.

In this case, is it possible to get direct media after some UAC negotiations passing through the Media_Relay component, or is it impossible? That is, does the media will always pass through the Media_Relay host too?

Any hint will be very helpful!

Thanks alot.

RODRIGO PIMENTA CARVALHO
Inatel Competence Center
Software
Ph: <a href="tel:%2B55%2035%203471%209200" value="+553534719200" target="_blank">+55 35 3471 9200 RAMAL 979

Re: Does Media_Relay component implies in impossible direct media?

Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho

Hi Nabeel.

Thank you very much for your answer.

If I understood it well, while using MediaProxy, the clients may connect directly, but they may not too. ICE will decide it for me and I don't need to worry about it.

Tell me if I got it, please.

Best regards.

RODRIGO PIMENTA CARVALHO
Inatel Competence Center
Software
[...]

Ph: <a href="tel:%2B55%2035%203471%209200" value="&#43;553534719200" target="_blank"> +55 35 3471 9200 RAMAL 979

Re: Does Media_Relay component implies in impossible direct media?

Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho

Ok Nabeel.

In my environment, I intend to have MediaProxy and all clients supporting ICE.

However, in my environment/network doesn't exist a STUN server.

So, my last questions (before I start the MediaProxy installation procedures) about this subject are:

1 -  Does MediaProxy work as a STUN server, or just as a TURN server?

2 - Is it always necessary to provide a STUN server separately, even using the MediaProxy, if direct media is desired?

3 - Let's suppose I will not provide a separately STUN server, in this case will the media always pass through the media relay,?

Thank you again!

Best regards.

RODRIGO PIMENTA CARVALHO
Inatel Competence Center
Software

Re: Does Media_Relay component implies in impossible direct media?

Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho

Ok Adrian.

Thank you too!

But I am still trying to find the answer for the following question, before deciding to install MediaProxy:

Can MediaProxy, by itself, without a separated STUN server, provide all necessary functionalities to my system get direct media between UACs?

Best regards.

RODRIGO PIMENTA CARVALHO
Inatel Competence Center
Software

Re: Does Media_Relay component implies in impossible direct media? (Sorry)

Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho

Hi Adrian.

Sorry any inconvenience from my poor interpretation. I'm completely new to such NAT subjects.

I will consider:

If I don’t use STUN and when using ICE + MediaProxy, media will go directly between end-points behind the same NAT. The rest of the calls will go through media relay.

So, MediaProxy is not a substitute for a STUN server.

In this case, as I need direct media, I will give up of using MediaProxy and use just STUN technology.

Hopefully, now I got the point!

Regards.

RODRIGO PIMENTA CARVALHO
Inatel Competence Center
Software

On 20 Oct 2015, at 10:20, Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Adrian.

Sorry any inconvenience from my poor interpretation. I'm completely new to such NAT subjects.

I will consider:

If I don’t use STUN and when using ICE + MediaProxy, media will go directly between end-points behind the same NAT. The rest of the calls will go through media relay.

So, MediaProxy is not a substitute for a STUN server.

In this case, as I need direct media, I will give up of using MediaProxy and use just STUN technology.

STUN does not work, a large percentage of calls will fail by using it alone without a media relay. These things are complementary and you must use them all to cover 100% of the cases.

Hopefully, now I got the point!

Regards.

RODRIGO PIMENTA CARVALHO
Inatel Competence Center
Software

Re: Does Media_Relay component implies in impossible direct media? (Thanks!)

Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho

Hi Adrian.

Thank you very much!

So, my next step will be the MediaProxy Installation in my development machine.

Best regards.

RODRIGO PIMENTA CARVALHO
Inatel Competence Center
Software