Drop call if mediaproxy does not work (using engage_mediaproxy())

Drop call if mediaproxy does not work (using engage_mediaproxy())

Giuseppe Roberti-3
Hi.

How can we drop a call (an INVITE) if we are using engage_media_proxy()
but dispatcher does not work (like when not started ;) ?
With use_media_proxy() we can check the return code (i hope) but if we
use engage_media_proxy() this is not possible.

Regards.

--
Giuseppe Roberti
<[hidden email]>

Re: Drop call if mediaproxy does not work (using engage_mediaproxy())

Dan Pascu
On Thursday 13 November 2008, Giuseppe Roberti wrote:
> Hi.
>
> How can we drop a call (an INVITE) if we are using engage_media_proxy()

You can't. engage_media_proxy() does nothing when called except to set an
internal flag, so it can't return an error code because nothing can fail
in that operation. It is only a contract that mediaproxy will be used
automatically as soon as the dialog is started.

--
Dan

Dan Pascu wrote:

> On Thursday 13 November 2008, Giuseppe Roberti wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> How can we drop a call (an INVITE) if we are using engage_media_proxy()
>
> You can't. engage_media_proxy() does nothing when called except to set an
> internal flag, so it can't return an error code because nothing can fail
> in that operation. It is only a contract that mediaproxy will be used
> automatically as soon as the dialog is started.

Ok, thanks.

So, can we add a parameter like "exit_on_error" that tell mediaproxy
module to drop request when it gets error ?

--
Giuseppe Roberti
<[hidden email]>

Re: Drop call if mediaproxy does not work (using engage_mediaproxy())

Dan Pascu
On Thursday 13 November 2008, Giuseppe Roberti wrote:

> Dan Pascu wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 November 2008, Giuseppe Roberti wrote:
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> How can we drop a call (an INVITE) if we are using
> >> engage_media_proxy()
> >
> > You can't. engage_media_proxy() does nothing when called except to
> > set an internal flag, so it can't return an error code because
> > nothing can fail in that operation. It is only a contract that
> > mediaproxy will be used automatically as soon as the dialog is
> > started.
>
> Ok, thanks.
>
> So, can we add a parameter like "exit_on_error" that tell mediaproxy
> module to drop request when it gets error ?

I would rather not. This approach is cheesy. You can still use the
use_media_proxy/end_media_session function pair.

--
Dan

Dan Pascu wrote:

> On Thursday 13 November 2008, Giuseppe Roberti wrote:
>> Dan Pascu wrote:

>>> You can't. engage_media_proxy() does nothing when called except to
>>> set an internal flag, so it can't return an error code because
>>> nothing can fail in that operation. It is only a contract that
>>> mediaproxy will be used automatically as soon as the dialog is
>>> started.
>> Ok, thanks.
>>
>> So, can we add a parameter like "exit_on_error" that tell mediaproxy
>> module to drop request when it gets error ?
>
> I would rather not. This approach is cheesy. You can still use the
> use_media_proxy/end_media_session function pair.

I know, but if we use use_media_proxy/end_media_session we will lost
dialog end on media-relay timeout, isnt it ?

On Friday 14 November 2008, Giuseppe Roberti wrote:

> Dan Pascu wrote:

> >> Ok, thanks.
> >>
> >> So, can we add a parameter like "exit_on_error" that tell mediaproxy
> >> module to drop request when it gets error ?
> >
> > I would rather not. This approach is cheesy. You can still use the
> > use_media_proxy/end_media_session function pair.
>
> I know, but if we use use_media_proxy/end_media_session we will lost
> dialog end on media-relay timeout, isnt it ?

Indeed. But then make sure you start the dispatcher. Once running it won't
crash, so the only reason it won't be there is if you forget to start it.

--
Dan

Dan Pascu wrote:

> On Friday 14 November 2008, Giuseppe Roberti wrote:
>> Dan Pascu wrote:

>>> I would rather not. This approach is cheesy. You can still use the
>>> use_media_proxy/end_media_session function pair.
>> I know, but if we use use_media_proxy/end_media_session we will lost
>> dialog end on media-relay timeout, isnt it ?
>
> Indeed. But then make sure you start the dispatcher. Once running it won't
> crash, so the only reason it won't be there is if you forget to start it.

I hope so. Thank you.

Dan Pascu wrote:

> On Friday 14 November 2008, Giuseppe Roberti wrote:
>> Dan Pascu wrote:

>>> I would rather not. This approach is cheesy. You can still use the
>>> use_media_proxy/end_media_session function pair.
>> I know, but if we use use_media_proxy/end_media_session we will lost
>> dialog end on media-relay timeout, isnt it ?
>
> Indeed. But then make sure you start the dispatcher. Once running it won't
> crash, so the only reason it won't be there is if you forget to start it.

Even if the dispatcher is indestructible, i need more control over
mediaproxy in engage mode because when dispatcher does not found a relay
(connection problem, relay server crashed, server farm on fire) i need
to drop new INVITE transaction.
So i think that ill try to write my first patch.

Ragards.
--
Giuseppe Roberti
<[hidden email]>