GSOC 2018 Introduction

Abhishek Kumar
Hello Everyone,
I am Abhishek Kumar final year Computer Science undergraduate student of National Institute of Technology Meghalaya. I am proficient in C/C++, Data Structures, Algorithms. I have appeared in ACM ICPC Asia Regionals 2018. I have taken Data Communication and Computer Networking courses.

I am highly interested in working on the Diameter support project. Diameter uses TCP, has scalablity, supports IpSec and thus migration from Radius to Diameter is the need of the hour. I am learning AAA, Radius, Diameter, TACACS+ concepts.

I have setup OpenSips and have subscribed to mailing lists. I am also exploring OpenSips, AAA and going through the OpenSips tutorials. I am also trying to get acquainted with the code base to eventually start fixing some bugs or issues. I have completed first two sessions of Devel course and I am getting an overview of OpenSips architecture and code base. I would like to get some reference or some suggestions to get started on this project.

Looking forward for a learning and GSOC summer ahead.

Thanks!!!
Abhishek Kumar

Re: GSOC 2018 Introduction

basitengr
Hi Abhishek,

Its really interesting that you are enthusiast and want to work with the tools required at this time.

As i read diameter support was removed from the module from OpenSIPS, may be due to lack of developers interest.

You can also look into Kamailio which has diameter integration libraries and IMS components for a telco requirements.
https://www.kamailio.org/w/2016/02/kamailio-ims-getting-started-box

For a billing engine you can look into CGRATES that also provide generic interface for diameter communication. This realtime billing engine has integration options with kamailio as well as opensips.

I hope these directions will help you expand further in open-source industry.

Welcome and Happy journey!!!

--
regards,

abdul basit

On 19 February 2018 at 11:07, Abhishek Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Răzvan Crainea-2
Hi, Abhishek!

I am very glad you are interested in this project :D. This is actually
my preferred project, because I believe it is going to bring a lot of
value to our community.

As Abdul already figured out, one of the main use cases of this new
module is to have an easier integration of OpenSIPS inside IMS systems.
The goal for this scenario is OpenSIPS to act as a CSCF[1], that will
discuss with a HSS (Diameter server) using the Diameter protocol.

To get more familiar with this project, I would suggest you to:
1. Familiarize with OpenSIPS and Radius - this will help you understand
the goal of your project
1.1. Configure OpenSIPS to do arbitrary Radius queries when a call starts
1.2. Setup OpenSIPS to authenticate users using a Radius Server
1.3. Make accounging for a call using Radius accounting

2. Do some reasearch on Diameter
2.1. What kind of tools are there available
2.2. Setup a Diameter server and find a way to "query" it
2.3. Find a library that allows you to query a Diameter server
programatically
2.4. Mock-up a _very_ simple Diameter client in C

3. Do some reasearch in IMS
3.1. What Diameter interfaces need to be implemented
3.2. Think of a generic way to make a Diameter query

I hope these advices will help you understand better the goal of this
project, and will give you a path to proceed. If you have any other
questions, or you get stuck, don't hesitate to ask (here or on IRC).

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Multimedia_Subsystem#Call_Session_Control_Function_(CSCF)

Best regards,
Răzvan