Help on understanding the rating engine!

Help on understanding the rating engine!

bay2x1
I have manage to install cdrtool and its working. The accounting part is okay but the rating engine is not generating price per call. Looking at the details of the call I see free call from the rating information.  I understand that the rating engine determines the 1. billing part 2. destination of the call 3. cost computation.  I don't I understand why the rating engine treats each call as a free call? Any idea please? What do I have to set to make the rating engine works properly?