How to ensure current IPV6 listening address

How to ensure current IPV6 listening address

Robert Dyck
Using 1.10.5
My ISP provides an IPV6 prefix which unfortunately is not static. My address
does not change spontaneously but if the host is down for a significant time
the address will change.

I thought it would be simply solved by specifying a listening interface in the
configuration file. Unfortunately that only picks up the IPV4 address.

I have a DDNS provider and I can specify a domain name in the configuration but
my concern is that the address bound to the domain name may be stale at the
moment that opensips comes up. Does opensips verify an address obtained
through DNS?

Re: How to ensure current IPV6 listening address

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu-2
Hi Robert,

I see here two aspects:

1) how to determine the IP at OpenSIPS startup - you need to perform the
IPv6 detection in a pre-start script and feed it to OpenSIPS. That is
the way it should be

2) if the IP changes during runtime, there is nothing you can do rather
then restarting - OpenSIPS cannot change listeners during runtime.

On 19.10.2016 19:14, Robert Dyck wrote:

> Using 1.10.5
> My ISP provides an IPV6 prefix which unfortunately is not static. My address
> does not change spontaneously but if the host is down for a significant time
> the address will change.
>
> I thought it would be simply solved by specifying a listening interface in the
> configuration file. Unfortunately that only picks up the IPV4 address.
>
> I have a DDNS provider and I can specify a domain name in the configuration but
> my concern is that the address bound to the domain name may be stale at the
> moment that opensips comes up. Does opensips verify an address obtained
> through DNS?

Re: How to ensure current IPV6 listening address

Robert Dyck
Thanks for your input. The second scenario doesn't appear to be an issue.

 If opensips can detect the IPV4 address on an interface should it be only a
minor enhancement to detect the IPV6 address?

On October 19, 2016 11:09:50 PM Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> I see here two aspects:
>
> 1) how to determine the IP at OpenSIPS startup - you need to perform the
> IPv6 detection in a pre-start script and feed it to OpenSIPS. That is
> the way it should be
>
> 2) if the IP changes during runtime, there is nothing you can do rather
> then restarting - OpenSIPS cannot change listeners during runtime.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> OpenSIPS Founder and Developer
> http://www.opensips-solutions.com
>
> On 19.10.2016 19:14, Robert Dyck wrote:
> > Using 1.10.5
> > My ISP provides an IPV6 prefix which unfortunately is not static. My
> > address does not change spontaneously but if the host is down for a
> > significant time the address will change.
> >
> > I thought it would be simply solved by specifying a listening interface in
> > the configuration file. Unfortunately that only picks up the IPV4
> > address.
> >
> > I have a DDNS provider and I can specify a domain name in the
> > configuration but my concern is that the address bound to the domain name
> > may be stale at the moment that opensips comes up. Does opensips verify
> > an address obtained through DNS?

Re: How to ensure current IPV6 listening address

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu-2
Hi Robert,

If you use in the listener definition the name of an interface, it
should detect IPV6 too. Is this working ?

On 20.10.2016 00:35, Robert Dyck wrote:

> Thanks for your input. The second scenario doesn't appear to be an issue.
>
>   If opensips can detect the IPV4 address on an interface should it be only a
> minor enhancement to detect the IPV6 address?
>
> On October 19, 2016 11:09:50 PM Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> I see here two aspects:
>>
>> 1) how to determine the IP at OpenSIPS startup - you need to perform the
>> IPv6 detection in a pre-start script and feed it to OpenSIPS. That is
>> the way it should be
>>
>> 2) if the IP changes during runtime, there is nothing you can do rather
>> then restarting - OpenSIPS cannot change listeners during runtime.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
>> OpenSIPS Founder and Developer
>> http://www.opensips-solutions.com
>>
>> On 19.10.2016 19:14, Robert Dyck wrote:
>>> Using 1.10.5
>>> My ISP provides an IPV6 prefix which unfortunately is not static. My
>>> address does not change spontaneously but if the host is down for a
>>> significant time the address will change.
>>>
>>> I thought it would be simply solved by specifying a listening interface in
>>> the configuration file. Unfortunately that only picks up the IPV4
>>> address.
>>>
>>> I have a DDNS provider and I can specify a domain name in the
>>> configuration but my concern is that the address bound to the domain name
>>> may be stale at the moment that opensips comes up. Does opensips verify
>>> an address obtained through DNS?

Re: How to ensure current IPV6 listening address

Răzvan Crainea-2
Hi, Robert!

After further documenting, it seems that linux can only provide IPv4
interfaces (for more info, see [1], check for SIOCGIFCONF). In order to
support IPv6, we need to find a different way to get the addresses.
Please open a feature request on our tracker[2], and we will check how
to support this.

[1] https://linux.die.net/man/7/netdevice
[2] https://github.com/OpenSIPS/opensips/issues

Best regards,

Răzvan Crainea
OpenSIPS Solutions
www.opensips-solutions.com

On 10/20/2016 02:21 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> If you use in the listener definition the name of an interface, it
> should detect IPV6 too. Is this working ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> OpenSIPS Founder and Developer
> http://www.opensips-solutions.com
>
> On 20.10.2016 00:35, Robert Dyck wrote:
>> Thanks for your input. The second scenario doesn't appear to be an
>> issue.
>>
>>   If opensips can detect the IPV4 address on an interface should it
>> be only a
>> minor enhancement to detect the IPV6 address?
>>
>> On October 19, 2016 11:09:50 PM Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
>>> Hi Robert,
>>>
>>> I see here two aspects:
>>>
>>> 1) how to determine the IP at OpenSIPS startup - you need to perform
>>> the
>>> IPv6 detection in a pre-start script and feed it to OpenSIPS. That is
>>> the way it should be
>>>
>>> 2) if the IP changes during runtime, there is nothing you can do rather
>>> then restarting - OpenSIPS cannot change listeners during runtime.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
>>> OpenSIPS Founder and Developer
>>> http://www.opensips-solutions.com

Re: How to ensure current IPV6 listening address

Robert Dyck
Thank you for investigating this.

To improve the chance of Opensips getting the current IP address from the FQDN
I employed the NetworkManager dispatcher to send an immediate update to the
name server. I am sure that one could parse the output of
'ip addr" and somehow update opensips.cfg but bash scripts are a mystery to
me.

On October 26, 2016 04:20:23 PM Răzvan Crainea wrote:

> Hi, Robert!
>
> After further documenting, it seems that linux can only provide IPv4
> interfaces (for more info, see [1], check for SIOCGIFCONF). In order to
> support IPv6, we need to find a different way to get the addresses.
> Please open a feature request on our tracker[2], and we will check how
> to support this.
>
> [1] https://linux.die.net/man/7/netdevice
> [2] https://github.com/OpenSIPS/opensips/issues
>
> Best regards,
>
> Răzvan Crainea
> OpenSIPS Solutions
> www.opensips-solutions.com
>
> On 10/20/2016 02:21 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > If you use in the listener definition the name of an interface, it
> > should detect IPV6 too. Is this working ?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> > OpenSIPS Founder and Developer
> > http://www.opensips-solutions.com
> >
> > On 20.10.2016 00:35, Robert Dyck wrote:
> >> Thanks for your input. The second scenario doesn't appear to be an
> >> issue.
> >>
> >>   If opensips can detect the IPV4 address on an interface should it
> >>
> >> be only a
> >> minor enhancement to detect the IPV6 address?

Re: How to ensure current IPV6 listening address

Robert Dyck
I am reluctant to take out a github membership to simply request a feature.
Perhaps someone with an existing membership could request the feature.

Opensips currently is unable to detect the IPV6 address of an interface when
given the interface name in the configuration. This is a request to implement
that capability.

On October 26, 2016 04:20:23 PM Răzvan Crainea wrote:

> Hi, Robert!
>
> After further documenting, it seems that linux can only provide IPv4
> interfaces (for more info, see [1], check for SIOCGIFCONF). In order to
> support IPv6, we need to find a different way to get the addresses.
> Please open a feature request on our tracker[2], and we will check how
> to support this.
>
> [1] https://linux.die.net/man/7/netdevice
> [2] https://github.com/OpenSIPS/opensips/issues
>
> Best regards,
>
> Răzvan Crainea
> OpenSIPS Solutions
> www.opensips-solutions.com
>
> On 10/20/2016 02:21 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > If you use in the listener definition the name of an interface, it
> > should detect IPV6 too. Is this working ?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> > OpenSIPS Founder and Developer
> > http://www.opensips-solutions.com
> >
> > On 20.10.2016 00:35, Robert Dyck wrote:
> >> Thanks for your input. The second scenario doesn't appear to be an
> >> issue.
> >>
> >>   If opensips can detect the IPV4 address on an interface should it
> >>
> >> be only a
> >> minor enhancement to detect the IPV6 address?

Re: How to ensure current IPV6 listening address

Răzvan Crainea-2
Done[1]. Getting an account is not that hard, and will help you to
follow the request easier, as well as show to the community your
contribution :).

[1] https://github.com/OpenSIPS/opensips/issues/976

BR

Răzvan Crainea