How to overcome SIP ALG on Wi-Fi routers

12

How to overcome SIP ALG on Wi-Fi routers

Nabeel

Hi,

Other than using rtpproxy/NAThelper modules, is there any way to bypass/workaround SIP ALG enabled on many WiFi routers? Although SIP ALG was designed to help with NAT, in most cases it does the opposite and breaks SIP.

Nabeel

Re: How to overcome SIP ALG on Wi-Fi routers

Patrick Wakano
Using TLS!
Also configuring your systems/devices to use other port than 5060 may do the trick...

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Nabeel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Other than using rtpproxy/NAThelper modules, is there any way to bypass/workaround SIP ALG enabled on many WiFi routers? Although SIP ALG was designed to help with NAT, in most cases it does the opposite and breaks SIP.

Nabeel

Re: How to overcome SIP ALG on Wi-Fi routers

Nabeel
Thanks for the suggestions of using TLS or changing the port. I changed the port, but some routers are still able to mess with the SIP headers. I would have used TLS, if not for two reasons:

1. ICE protocol was originally designed for UDP according to RFC5245, and it seems to work better with UDP.

2. The SIP servers I have used (OpenSIPS and Repro) seem to be more stable with UDP compared to TLS (they do not randomly drop connections, throw unusual errors in the logs, etc.)

I may try TLS again, but it would be better if there is an alternative workaround for UDP.

On 2 May 2016 at 13:33, Patrick Wakano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Using TLS!
Also configuring your systems/devices to use other port than 5060 may do the trick...

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Nabeel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Other than using rtpproxy/NAThelper modules, is there any way to bypass/workaround SIP ALG enabled on many WiFi routers? Although SIP ALG was designed to help with NAT, in most cases it does the opposite and breaks SIP.

Nabeel

Re: How to overcome SIP ALG on Wi-Fi routers

Nabeel
A possible solution to this seems to be a 'SIP tunnel' server. The server would tunnel the SIP and UDP packets over a common TCP port such as 80 or 443, which are more likely to be open and unblocked on Wi-Fi routers for browsing, Email, etc. The tunnel server would then send this data to OpenSIPS over UDP. There is a SIP tunnel server for Windows here: http://siptunnel.sourceforge.net/, however I was not able to find a similar tunnel server for Linux? Does OpenSIPS have any functions relating to this?

Re: How to overcome SIP ALG on Wi-Fi routers

Alex Balashov
On 05/03/2016 08:03 PM, Nabeel wrote:

> A possible solution to this seems to be a 'SIP tunnel' server. The
> server would tunnel the SIP and UDP packets over a common TCP port
> such as 80 or 443, which are more likely to be open and unblocked on
> Wi-Fi routers for browsing, Email, etc. The tunnel server would then
> send this data to OpenSIPS over UDP.

This sounds substantially similar to a VPN, except without the benefit
of encryption.

1447 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 700
Atlanta, GA 30309
United States

Tel: +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free) / +1-678-954-0671 (direct)

Re: How to overcome SIP ALG on Wi-Fi routers

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu-2
And in this case, instead of re-inventing the wheel, just use TLS :)

On 04.05.2016 03:05, Alex Balashov wrote:

> On 05/03/2016 08:03 PM, Nabeel wrote:
>
>> A possible solution to this seems to be a 'SIP tunnel' server. The
>> server would tunnel the SIP and UDP packets over a common TCP port
>> such as 80 or 443, which are more likely to be open and unblocked on
>> Wi-Fi routers for browsing, Email, etc. The tunnel server would then
>> send this data to OpenSIPS over UDP.
>
> This sounds substantially similar to a VPN, except without the benefit
> of encryption.

Re: How to overcome SIP ALG on Wi-Fi routers

Nabeel

Please check the following SIP trace taken within a WiFi network. The call fails to connect despite the INVITE request and using a non-standard port. Could this be caused by SIP ALG, or some unopened RTP port on the router?

Re: How to overcome SIP ALG on Wi-Fi routers

Tito Cumpen
Adding to Bogdan's point I am successfully using sip tls on port 443 without any issues as of yet. It's bypassing some  isp enforced algs as well as those enforced by local routers. :-).

Please read why UDP is better for VoIP: https://www.onsip.com/blog/udp-versus-tcp-for-voip

Re: How to overcome SIP ALG on Wi-Fi routers

Tito Cumpen
Nabeel,

This article points at UDP in terms of media. Which uses very ephemeral sample rates therefore we do not notice packet loss . I would argue that TCP is better when dealing with larger SIP msg packets due to the ability to notify the far end of pending fragments.

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Nabeel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please read why UDP is better for VoIP: https://www.onsip.com/blog/udp-versus-tcp-for-voip

Re: How to overcome SIP ALG on Wi-Fi routers

Tito Cumpen
Nabeel,

Did you verify that your opensips server is listening on this non Standard port ?

run

netstat -lnp | grep opensips

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Nabeel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, it is definitely listening on the non-standard port:

# netstat -lnp | grep opensips
udp        0      0 162.xxx.x.110:12341     0.0.0.0:*     1750/opensips

In fact, it even seems to register correctly, but the INVITE does not get through.

I have OpenSIPS set on debug level 4 but did not see anything in the log.

On 5 May 2016 at 21:14, Tito Cumpen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It seems you are facing packet fragmentation, and the second part of the fragment isn't reaching opensips...
maybe your wifi router (if it is the only element between your endpoint and opensips) is not correct handling this situation....
I would sugest a change to TCP as your next step for debugging this problem!

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 5:23 PM, Nabeel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Haven't follow if it is or not a fragmentation issue, but if it is, instead of switching to TCP, you can use the compression module to reduce the size of the SIP packet. See the mc_compact() function:
    http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/2.1.x/compression.html#id293508

If running an older version (than 2.1), you may simply consider removing (via remove_hf()) some optional headers (like User-Agent, Date, Time, etc)

On 05.05.2016 23:28, Patrick Wakano wrote:
[...]

Hard to analyze a call based on the INVITE packet only :). Still the SIP signaling does not show any ALG interference (also not sure if the capture was done before or after the ALG). Also, what you mean by "call fails" ?no reply, negative reply , no audio ?

On 05.05.2016 22:35, Nabeel wrote:

Please check the following SIP trace taken within a WiFi network. The call fails to connect despite the INVITE request and using a non-standard port. Could this be caused by SIP ALG, or some unopened RTP port on the router?

Re: How to overcome SIP ALG on Wi-Fi routers

Nabeel

Hi,

Thanks for the idea about packet compression. By 'call fails to connect', I meant the call does not connect to the callee, ie. the callee's phone does not ring after the INVITE (despite using TURN server).

This was a public WiFi network and that was all I could get at the time. I am using OpenSIPS version 2.1.

Nabeel

Hi,