ICE

John Quick
Does OpenSIPS or Mediaproxy supports ICE. Is that even a reasonable question to ask?

Can anyone provide a quick explanation of ICE, whether it is primarily a client end-point technology
or a Proxy Server technology or both?

I have no practical application for this - my interest is academic and was triggered by seeing a
question in a VoIP related forum elsewhere. Thanks.

John Quick
Smartvox Limited
Web: www.smartvox.co.uk

Smartvox is a limited company, registered in England and Wales, number 5005263.
Registered office: Spectrum House, Dunstable Road, Redbourn, St.Albans, Herts AL3 7PR

Re: ICE

Iñaki Baz Castillo
2009/9/16 John Quick <[hidden email]>:
> Does OpenSIPS or Mediaproxy supports ICE. Is that even a reasonable question to ask?

ICE is a client mechanism. However, when it requires TURN then a TURN
server must exist but it has nothing to do with the proxy (and
rtpproxy/mediaproxy are not a TURN server).

> Can anyone provide a quick explanation of ICE, whether it is primarily a client end-point technology
> or a Proxy Server technology or both?

At this point you should look for documents in Google about ICE.

<[hidden email]>

Re: ICE

Dan Pascu
On 16 Sep 2009, at 10:15, John Quick wrote:

> Does OpenSIPS or Mediaproxy supports ICE. Is that even a reasonable
> question to ask?

The question is valid, because if mediaproxy is not aware of ICE it
can break a call setup that uses ICE. We plan to add support for
dealing properly with clients that use ICE in mediaproxy pretty soon.

--
Dan