Linksys SPA-942 BLF and OpenSIPS presence

Linksys SPA-942 BLF and OpenSIPS presence

James Lamanna
Hi,
Has anyone been able to get the BLF to work with a SPA-942 and the
OpenSIPS presence module?
There must be something different from the BLF responses from an
Asterisk server and from OpenSIPS,
because the BLF works great when the phone is monitoring the Asterisk
server directly.
I can see the SUBSCRIBE and the NOTIFY messages coming through, so
maybe the phone just doesn't
understand the NOTIFYs?

Thanks.

-- James

Re: Linksys SPA-942 BLF and OpenSIPS presence

Iñaki Baz Castillo
2009/5/27 James Lamanna <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
> Has anyone been able to get the BLF to work with a SPA-942 and the
> OpenSIPS presence module?

There are many types of "presence":

- Presence SIMPLE (user status: online, offline, away, on-meeting...)
=> "Event: presence"
- Presence BLF (RFC 4235): line status (calling, on-call, idle...) =>
"Event: dialog"

Asterisk supports **very poorly and wrongly** the BLF presence (but it
does it VERY VERY wrongly, in a propietary way instead of following
the RFC 4235. Linksys phones allos this painful "Asterisk BLF
presence".

OpenSIPS presence module is generic, it allows any kind of presence,
but "somebody" must send the PUBLISH with the user or line status.
Users implementing SIMPLE presence (X-Lite, Eyebeam, Twinkle,
Ekiga...) send PUBLISH ("Event: presence") by themself, they arrive to
the presence server (Opensips presence module) and it generates NOTIFY
for subscribers.

In case of BLF, "something" should send PUBLISH "Event: dialog" when a
call occurs (in progress, established...). A phone couuld do it, but
it's not very usual. However OpenSIPS has a module called
"pua_dialoginfo" which generates PUBLISH "Event: dialog" when an
INVITE occurs. I've tested it and didn't seem robust for me. Read the
documentation about it.

> There must be something different from the BLF responses from an
> Asterisk server and from OpenSIPS,
> because the BLF works great when the phone is monitoring the Asterisk
> server directly.
> I can see the SUBSCRIBE and the NOTIFY messages coming through, so
> maybe the phone just doesn't
> understand the NOTIFYs?

Presence is more complex that what you suggest. There are different
kinds of presence packages.

Regards.

<[hidden email]>

Re: Linksys SPA-942 BLF and OpenSIPS presence

Victor Pascual Avila
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/5/27 James Lamanna <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>> Has anyone been able to get the BLF to work with a SPA-942 and the
>> OpenSIPS presence module?
>
> There are many types of "presence":
>
> - Presence SIMPLE (user status: online, offline, away, on-meeting...)
> => "Event: presence"
> - Presence BLF (RFC 4235): line status (calling, on-call, idle...) =>
> "Event: dialog"
>
> Asterisk supports **very poorly and wrongly** the BLF presence (but it
> does it VERY VERY wrongly, in a propietary way instead of following
> the RFC 4235. Linksys phones allos this painful "Asterisk BLF
> presence".
>
> OpenSIPS presence module is generic, it allows any kind of presence,
> but "somebody" must send the PUBLISH with the user or line status.
> Users implementing SIMPLE presence (X-Lite, Eyebeam, Twinkle,
> Ekiga...) send PUBLISH ("Event: presence") by themself, they arrive to
> the presence server (Opensips presence module) and it generates NOTIFY
> for subscribers.
>
> In case of BLF, "something" should send PUBLISH "Event: dialog" when a
> call occurs (in progress, established...). A phone couuld do it, but
> it's not very usual. However OpenSIPS has a module called
> "pua_dialoginfo" which generates PUBLISH "Event: dialog" when an
> INVITE occurs. I've tested it and didn't seem robust for me. Read the
> documentation about it.

A quick and (maybe) naive question on it: is it possible (with
OpenSIPS) to trigger a NOTIFY by means of requests other than PUBLISH?
An example would be the event package for registrations (rfc3680)

Cheers,
--
Victor Pascual Ávila

2009/5/27 Victor Pascual Ávila <[hidden email]>:
> A quick and (maybe) naive question on it: is it possible (with
> OpenSIPS) to trigger a NOTIFY by means of requests other than PUBLISH?
> An example would be the event package for registrations (rfc3680)

I don't hink so, but this RFC would be easy to implement. Just copy
the pua_usrloc (which reacts on recepit of a REGISTER and generates a
presence PUBLISH) and modify it to generate a PUBLISH according to RFC
3680 (Event: reigstration?).

<[hidden email]>

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 1:52 AM, Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/5/27 James Lamanna <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>> Has anyone been able to get the BLF to work with a SPA-942 and the
>> OpenSIPS presence module?
>
> There are many types of "presence":
>
> - Presence SIMPLE (user status: online, offline, away, on-meeting...)
> => "Event: presence"
> - Presence BLF (RFC 4235): line status (calling, on-call, idle...) =>
> "Event: dialog"
>
> Asterisk supports **very poorly and wrongly** the BLF presence (but it
> does it VERY VERY wrongly, in a propietary way instead of following
> the RFC 4235. Linksys phones allos this painful "Asterisk BLF
> presence".
>
> OpenSIPS presence module is generic, it allows any kind of presence,
> but "somebody" must send the PUBLISH with the user or line status.
> Users implementing SIMPLE presence (X-Lite, Eyebeam, Twinkle,
> Ekiga...) send PUBLISH ("Event: presence") by themself, they arrive to
> the presence server (Opensips presence module) and it generates NOTIFY
> for subscribers.
>
> In case of BLF, "something" should send PUBLISH "Event: dialog" when a
> call occurs (in progress, established...). A phone couuld do it, but
> it's not very usual. However OpenSIPS has a module called
> "pua_dialoginfo" which generates PUBLISH "Event: dialog" when an
> INVITE occurs. I've tested it and didn't seem robust for me. Read the
> documentation about it.
>

>> There must be something different from the BLF responses from an
>> Asterisk server and from OpenSIPS,
>> because the BLF works great when the phone is monitoring the Asterisk
>> server directly.
>> I can see the SUBSCRIBE and the NOTIFY messages coming through, so
>> maybe the phone just doesn't
>> understand the NOTIFYs?
>
> Presence is more complex that what you suggest. There are different
> kinds of presence packages.

Thanks for the clarification! I'll play around with this more today to
see what I can get working.
The other thing that complicates this is that I would like to have the
presence BLF from the Asterisk
parking lot to work. Currently I can get this to work by forwarding
the SUBSCRIBE packets for the
parking lot extensions to Asterisk, however if I have to change the
"server type" on the phone to
something other than Asterisk, to get the presence BLF for extensions
registered with OpenSIPS
to work, this will most definitely break. Though in that case I could
probably do some transformations
to the NOTIFY reply from Asterisk to make it conform to RFC 4235?

> Regards.
>

> --
> Iñaki Baz Castillo
> <[hidden email]>

Thanks.

-- James

Re: Linksys SPA-942 BLF and OpenSIPS presence

Iñaki Baz Castillo
2009/5/27 James Lamanna <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks for the clarification! I'll play around with this more today to
> see what I can get working.
> The other thing that complicates this is that I would like to have the
> presence BLF from the Asterisk
> parking lot to work. Currently I can get this to work by forwarding
> the SUBSCRIBE packets for the
> parking lot extensions to Asterisk, however if I have to change the
> "server type" on the phone to
> something other than Asterisk, to get the presence BLF for extensions
> registered with OpenSIPS
> to work, this will most definitely break.

Why? perhaps because the phone cannot send PUBLISH (asterisk type) and
PUBLISH (RFC4235)? is it the case?

> Though in that case I could
> probably do some transformations
> to the NOTIFY reply from Asterisk to make it conform to RFC 4235?

Impossible. It's completely different :(

<[hidden email]>