Load Balance for OpenSIPS Proxies

osiris123d
Can the Load Balancer module be used to make OpenSIPs Proxies redundant?  I am trying to do the following

Have two servers using Linux Heartbeat and have OpenSIPS Load Balancer running on it.  The load balancer will balance between two OpenSIPS proxy servers.  This way I have 100% redundancy.

Currently with the load balancer tutorial config if I start up a softphone the load balancer will send it to one of the OpenSIPS proxy servers, but the proxy server sends the "Authentication Required" reply to the Load Balancer instead of the softphone.

Am I trying to use the load balancer module for something it wasn't intended for or do I need to tweek the config for the Load Balancer or Proxy server?

Is there any other way to make your SIP Proxies redundant?  DNS SRV doesn't seem to failover quick enough.

Re: Load Balance for OpenSIPS Proxies

osiris123d
Just doing some more research and it sounds like the best "open source" way to accomplish this is to use Ultra Monkey(LVS, Linux-HA, Ldirectord).  Guess I will get this up and running and test it out.  If anyone had any issue using Ultra Monkey or LVS please let me know.  Hopefully this solves my needs.

Re: Load Balance for OpenSIPS Proxies

Stanisław Pitucha
On 08.03.2010 05:05, osiris123d wrote:
> Have two servers using Linux Heartbeat and have OpenSIPS Load Balancer
> running on it.  The load balancer will balance between two OpenSIPS proxy
> servers.  This way I have 100% redundancy.

Complicated.
Why not simply 2 proxies running with Heartbeat / Carp / vrrp /
whatever? If one fails, you get the ip address on the other host and
work as normal.

Re: Load Balance for OpenSIPS Proxies

osiris123d
That would work if all I ever needed was one proxy to handle everything.  Heartbeat/Carp/VRRP doesn't scale well if the one box is being overloaded.  Active/Active is better than Active/Standby.  And from the sounds of UltraMonkey you can keep adding more servers.

osiris123d wrote:
> Can the Load Balancer module be used to make OpenSIPs Proxies redundant?
not really - LB module is distributing load over some back servers, not
for implementing redundancy

> am trying to do the following
>
> Have two servers using Linux Heartbeat and have OpenSIPS Load Balancer
> running on it.  The load balancer will balance between two OpenSIPS proxy
> servers.  This way I have 100% redundancy.
>
> Currently with the load balancer tutorial config if I start up a softphone
> the load balancer will send it to one of the OpenSIPS proxy servers, but the
> proxy server sends the "Authentication Required" reply to the Load Balancer
> instead of the softphone.

yes, and the LB will forward the reply to the softphone

www.voice-system.ro