Load Balancing Using OpenSIPS

Faisal Rehman
Dear All,

I am going to do load balancing using OpenSIPS with and without involvement of database, I have gone through some material available to do load balancing for several servers ahead but I want some help and clues in the regards of doing load balancing without any database. So how can it be done easily?

Thanks & Regards,

Faisal Rehman

Re: Load Balancing Using OpenSIPS

thomcr
Faisal,

All configurations I have seen regarding the lb module, use the load_balancer table from the database. Not sure if you could setup a load balancer without a database.

This database is only used upon bootup, or to save dialogs to the database if you want it to be that way.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Faisal Rehman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear All,

I am going to do load balancing using OpenSIPS with and without involvement of database, I have gone through some material available to do load balancing for several servers ahead but I want some help and clues in the regards of doing load balancing without any database. So how can it be done easily?

Thanks & Regards,

Faisal Rehman

Robert

Re: Load Balancing Using OpenSIPS

Faisal Rehman
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your prompt response, yeah I have seen that table specified only for the load balancing work in opensips database, but I got a task to do load balancing without any database involvement, so is that something I can do?

Thanks

Faisal Rehman

Re: Load Balancing Using OpenSIPS

Andrew Pogrebennyk
On 09/13/2011 10:05 AM, Faisal Rehman wrote:

> Thanks for your prompt response, yeah I have seen that table specified
> only for the load balancing work in opensips database, but I got a task
> to do load balancing without any database involvement, so is that
> something I can do?

In that case you would have to hardcode the IP addresses in the config
file which is not very nice. Alternatively, you could use a simple
file-based dbtext database like:

id(int,auto) setid(int) destination(str) priority(int) flags(int)
description(str)
1:1:sip\:10.0.0.1\:5060:1:0:box1
2:2:sip\:10.0.0.2\:5060:1:0:box2

OpenSIPS works with that just like with a normal SQL DB.
Regards,
Andrew

Re: Load Balancing Using OpenSIPS

Faisal Rehman
Hi Andrew,

Okay thanks I hope it will help me, by the way did you implement standard load balancing (with Database), I am just asking because I may need your help in the coming days. I am working on load balancing involving PSTN.

Regards,

Faisal Rehman

On 09/13/2011 10:05 AM, Faisal Rehman wrote:

> Thanks for your prompt response, yeah I have seen that table specified
> only for the load balancing work in opensips database, but I got a task
> to do load balancing without any database involvement, so is that
> something I can do?

In that case you would have to hardcode the IP addresses in the config file which is not very nice. Alternatively, you could use a simple file-based dbtext database like:

id(int,auto) setid(int) destination(str) priority(int) flags(int) description(str)
1:1:sip\:10.0.0.1\:5060:1:0:box1
2:2:sip\:10.0.0.2\:5060:1:0:box2

OpenSIPS works with that just like with a normal SQL DB.
Regards,
Andrew

Re: Load Balancing Using OpenSIPS

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu-2
Hi Faisal,

as Andrew said, use the LB module as load balancing engine (see the tutorial on http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsTutLoadbalancing). But instead of using a standard DB to configure the LB module, you can use the dbtext module as a text file oriented DB engine.

On 09/13/2011 12:11 PM, Faisal Rehman wrote:
Hi Andrew,

Okay thanks I hope it will help me, by the way did you implement standard load balancing (with Database), I am just asking because I may need your help in the coming days. I am working on load balancing involving PSTN.

Regards,

Faisal Rehman

On 09/13/2011 10:05 AM, Faisal Rehman wrote:

> Thanks for your prompt response, yeah I have seen that table specified
> only for the load balancing work in opensips database, but I got a task
> to do load balancing without any database involvement, so is that
> something I can do?

In that case you would have to hardcode the IP addresses in the config file which is not very nice. Alternatively, you could use a simple file-based dbtext database like:

id(int,auto) setid(int) destination(str) priority(int) flags(int) description(str)
1:1:sip\:10.0.0.1\:5060:1:0:box1
2:2:sip\:10.0.0.2\:5060:1:0:box2

OpenSIPS works with that just like with a normal SQL DB.
Regards,
Andrew

OpenSIPS eBootcamp - 19th of September 2011
OpenSIPS solutions and "know-how"