Managing Opensipsctl for different instances on same server

Managing Opensipsctl for different instances on same server

jay1017
Hello All,
I am using three intances of Opensips on a single server using same binaries and libraries. Meaning, I have configured and intalled opensips once and I have three init files each which starts opensips looking at different configuration files viz. lcr.cfg, b2b.cfg, proxy.cfg. Although this runs good, I have a problem in managing them. The "opensipsctl" utility only monitors any one instance of opensips. How is it possible to manage all instances of opensips using this method.
I give different fifo paths in each configuration file but I dont understand how to manage them differently. For example, I need to know how many transactions are running on my LCR instance and at the same time I need to know how many users are registered on my proxy instance. I wanted to understand if this approach is even recommended or does it have any drawbacks that I might be missing.

Thanks for any suggestions in this regards,

--- Jayesh

Re: Managing Opensipsctl for different instances on same server

Razvan Crainea-3
Hello, Jayesh!

Opensipsctl uses the opensipsctlrc configuration file in order to detect which FIFO file it should use. If the
OSIPS_FIFO parameter is not set in opensipsctlrc, it uses the default value of /tmp/opensips_fifo.
In order to run different instances of opensipsctl, you first have to make sure that the opensipsctlrc file doesn't have the OSIPS_FIFO parameter set. If it does, you can't overwrite it and the following solution won't work. Then if you want to send for examnple the 'ps' MI command to an OpenSIPS instance that has the /tmp/opensips_fifo_1 file set, you should use the following code:

OSIPS_FIFO=/tmp/opensips_fifo_1 /path/to/opensipsctl fifo ps

In this way you specify opensipsctl to use a different FIFO than the default one.

Răzvan Crainea
OpenSIPS Developer
http://www.opensips-solutions.com

On 05/28/2012 02:09 PM, Jayesh Nambiar wrote:
[...]

Hi Razvan,
Thank you very much. This was exactly what I was looking for.
Just recollecting the other part; will this method affect the performance of opensips in any ways. Since all these three instances uses the same opensips installation !!

--- Jayesh

Hello, Jayesh!

Opensipsctl uses the opensipsctlrc configuration file in order to detect
which FIFO file it should use. If the OSIPS_FIFO parameter is not set in
opensipsctlrc, it uses the default value of /tmp/opensips_fifo.
In order to run different instances of opensipsctl, you first have to
make sure that the opensipsctlrc file doesn't have the OSIPS_FIFO
parameter set. If it does, you can't overwrite it and the following
solution won't work. Then if you want to send for examnple the 'ps' MI
command to an OpenSIPS instance that has the /tmp/opensips_fifo_1 file
set, you should use the following code:

OSIPS_FIFO=/tmp/opensips_fifo_1 /path/to/opensipsctl fifo ps

In this way you specify opensipsctl to use a different FIFO than the
default one.

Ra(zvan Crainea
OpenSIPS Developer
http://www.opensips-solutions.com

On 05/28/2012 02:09 PM, Jayesh Nambiar wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am using three intances of Opensips on a single server using same
> binaries and libraries. Meaning, I have configured and intalled
> opensips once and I have three init files each which starts opensips
> looking at different configuration files viz. lcr.cfg, b2b.cfg,
> proxy.cfg. Although this runs good, I have a problem in managing them.
> The "opensipsctl" utility only monitors any one instance of opensips.
> How is it possible to manage all instances of opensips using this method.
> I give different fifo paths in each configuration file but I dont
> understand how to manage them differently. For example, I need to know
> how many transactions are running on my LCR instance and at the same
> time I need to know how many users are registered on my proxy
> instance. I wanted to understand if this approach is even recommended
> or does it have any drawbacks that I might be missing.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions in this regards,
>
> --- Jayesh

Re: Managing Opensipsctl for different instances on same server

Razvan Crainea-3
Hi, Jayesh!

No, it won't affect performance in any way, as each opensipsctl tool is a simple script that will communicate with different OpenSIPS instances.