Media Proxy: Suggested CentOS/RHEL version?

Media Proxy: Suggested CentOS/RHEL version?

JimDoesVoip
Hi All,
  I was wondering what version of CentOS / RHEL people are using when installing media proxy.  I started with RHEL5.5, but quickly can see that most packages that come with this release are too old according to the documentation in the INSTALL file for Media Proxy.  I started upgrading some things, but then it really becomes not worthwhile when your manually upgrading so many things / dealing with dependancies.  I was thinking of 6.0 as it seems to meet most of the requirements (doing a quick scan).

Thanks,

Jim O

Jim O'Brien

Director of Customer Engineering

CounterPath Corporation

IM      jimdoesvoip

Re: Media Proxy: Suggested CentOS/RHEL version?

Advantia VoIP Systems
Jim,
If you are using RHEL5.5 or 6 on a 64 bit CPU, I have found that the
easiest way to install/run/administer MediaProxy is to use libvirt
load up one or more instances of Debian with the APT repositories from
AG Projects http://ag-projects.com

Cheers,

Mario
http://advantia.ca

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Jim O'Brien <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>   I was wondering what version of CentOS / RHEL people are using when
> installing media proxy.  I started with RHEL5.5, but quickly can see that
> most packages that come with this release are too old according to the
> documentation in the INSTALL file for Media Proxy.  I started upgrading some
> things, but then it really becomes not worthwhile when your manually
> upgrading so many things / dealing with dependancies.  I was thinking of 6.0
> as it seems to meet most of the requirements (doing a quick scan).
> Thanks,
> Jim O
>

> Jim O'Brien
>
> Director of Customer Engineering
>
> CounterPath Corporation
>

> IM      jimdoesvoip
>
> Email [hidden email]

Re: Media Proxy: Suggested CentOS/RHEL version?

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé

On Sep 2, 2011, at 5:05 PM, Jim O'Brien wrote:

> Hi All,
>   I was wondering what version of CentOS / RHEL people are using when installing media proxy.  I started with RHEL5.5, but quickly can see that most packages that come with this release are too old according to the documentation in the INSTALL file for Media Proxy.  I started upgrading some things, but then it really becomes not worthwhile when your manually upgrading so many things / dealing with dependancies.  I was thinking of 6.0 as it seems to meet most of the requirements (doing a quick scan).

Can't say about RHEL, but I did try MediaProxy myself on CentOS 5 and 6. Latest MediaProxy just doesn't run on CentOS 5. It's too old. You can run MediaProxy 2.4.4 on CentOS 5, but you'll have to install many things manually.

CentOS 6 is up to date enough, so installation was very straight forward for me, and I'm not a CentOS user...

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects

Re: Media Proxy: Suggested CentOS/RHEL version?

JimDoesVoip
Hi Mario, Saul,
  Thanks for the insights, they are much appreciated.  I installed CentOS 6 on a few blades over the weekend and I'll push forward installing OpenSIPS and Media Proxy.

Thanks,

Jim O

Jim O'Brien

Director of Customer Engineering

[...]

[...]