Module Question - Memory Lookup

Brett Nemeroff
Hi All,
Sorry for such simple question. I'm looking for a stable module that will allow me to lookup a dictionary value (ie: pass it $si, get a value back) kind of thing. But I need to do it from memory to maintain performance. I know I saw some mention about memcache in the future (I've been wanting this for a long time!) and I also saw kamailio is implementing a generic memory "hash table".

so is there anything stable today that I can use? My understanding is that all the AVP funcs are going to rely on the backend DB.

Thanks,
Brett

Re: Module Question - Memory Lookup

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Brett,

You can use the memcache module for 1.5 - but for 1.4 there is nothing
similar in there.....

Anyhow, the module, even new (memcache) should be quite stable as it was
well tested and the complexity is not too high.

Brett Nemeroff wrote:

> Hi All,
> Sorry for such simple question. I'm looking for a stable module that
> will allow me to lookup a dictionary value (ie: pass it $si, get a
> value back) kind of thing. But I need to do it from memory to maintain
> performance. I know I saw some mention about memcache in the future
> (I've been wanting this for a long time!) and I also saw kamailio is
> implementing a generic memory "hash table".
>
> so is there anything stable today that I can use? My understanding is
> that all the AVP funcs are going to rely on the backend DB.
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Re: Module Question - Memory Lookup

Brett Nemeroff
Ok, I hadn't seen the module for memcache in the docs. I did see localcache, but it doesn't export the caching functions. So I wasn't sure it was ready yet.

Is the localcache module just the standard memcache server daemon built into opensips?

And, if I'm using my own memcache server, how do I specify it's address(s)?

Thanks!
-brett

Brett Nemeroff wrote:
Hi All,
Sorry for such simple question. I'm looking for a stable module that will allow me to lookup a dictionary value (ie: pass it $si, get a value back) kind of thing. But I need to do it from memory to maintain performance. I know I saw some mention about memcache in the future (I've been wanting this for a long time!) and I also saw kamailio is implementing a generic memory "hash table".

so is there anything stable today that I can use? My understanding is that all the AVP funcs are going to rely on the backend DB.

Thanks,
Brett

Re: Module Question - Memory Lookup

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Brett,

sorry for not being more explicit :).

The "memcache" is a generic support provided by the core, so the
functions to use this functionality are in core. This support is
implemented by the localcache module and in the future by other modules.
See:
       http://www.opensips.org/index.php?n=Resources.DocsTutMemcache

Right note the "memcache" support in OpenSIPS has no implementation for
using a MemCache external server, but this is on the roadmap of the 1.6
release.