Multiple rtpproxy on same server, same network interfaces

Multiple rtpproxy on same server, same network interfaces

William Simon
I am using multi-core processors (who isn't) and want to get the most out of opensips + rtpproxy running on the same server.

According to opensips docs I can tell opensips to load balance between two instances of rtpproxy on the same machine, controlled through different UDP sockets:

# multiple rtproxies for LB
modparam("rtpproxy", "rtpproxy_sock",
"udp:localhost:12221 udp:localhost:12222")

Using rtpproxy 2.0 it looks like I should have two cores per rtpproxy. Is it enough then to set up (CORES / 2) instances of rtpproxy, each with the same parameters on the server but different control sockets, and then tell opensips about them using the rtpproxy load balance syntax shown above?

Do they need to be assigned different RTP ranges, IP addresses or anything like that? I have set up a test box as I just described but cannot tell whether I will have resource conflicts under load.

“The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain proprietary, business-confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use, review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, reproduction or any action taken in reliance upon this message is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.”

Re: Multiple rtpproxy on same server, same network interfaces

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu-2
Hello William,

In 2.0 there are indeed multiple threads, but as worker (doing the RTP relay) is still one. The rest of the treads are light processing ones. So I would keep a one to one mapping, IMHO.

If multiple rtpproxies are using the IP for RTP relay, then you have to partition the port rage to avoid overlapping between them. If there are different IPs, you do not need to do this.

OpenSIPS Bootcamp 2017, Houston, US
  http://opensips.org/training/OpenSIPS_Bootcamp_2017.html
On 07/28/2017 03:14 AM, William Simon wrote:
[...]

Thanks for this advice. I didn't see any clear instructions on the web about how to do this.

My intent is to use multiple rtpproxies on the same IPs, so I will partition the RTP port range as suggested.