[NEW] Load-balancing module + usage tutorial

[NEW] Load-balancing module + usage tutorial

Before the SVN freeze for 1.5, as per TODO list, I uploaded a
load-balancing module. I kept quite until now as I wanted to prepare a
good description and documentation about it.

The Load-Balancer module comes to provide traffic routing based on load.
Shortly, when OpenSIPS routes calls to a set of destinations, it is able
to keep the load status (as number of ongoing calls) of each destination
and to choose to route to the less loaded destination (at that moment).
OpenSIPS is aware of the capacity of each destination - it is
preconfigured with the maximum load accepted by the destinations. To be
more precise, when routing, OpenSIPS will consider the less loaded
destination not the destination with the smallest number of ongoing
calls, but the destination with the largest available slot.

The "load-balancing" functionality comes to enhance the "dispatcher"
one. The difference comes in having or not load information about the
destinations where you are routing to.

For more info, please refer to the tutorial I just uploaded on the web site:
       http://www.opensips.org/index.php?n=Resources.DocsTutLoadbalancing

Re: [NEW] Load-balancing module + usage tutorial

Iñaki Baz Castillo
El Miércoles, 4 de Marzo de 2009, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu escribió:
> The Load-Balancer module comes to provide traffic routing based on load.
> Shortly, when OpenSIPS routes calls to a set of destinations, it is able
> to keep the load status (as number of ongoing calls) of each destination
> and to choose to route to the less loaded destination (at that moment).
> OpenSIPS is aware of the capacity of each destination - it is
> preconfigured with the maximum load accepted by the destinations. To be
> more precise, when routing, OpenSIPS will consider the less loaded
> destination not the destination with the smallest number of ongoing
> calls, but the destination with the largest available slot.

Really great.
I hope that the maximum load of each server is modificable in runtime using a
MI command.

Congratulations.

Re: [NEW] Load-balancing module + usage tutorial

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Iñaki,

yes, it is :)

There is the lb_resize MI command for this:

http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/devel/load_balancer.html#id228165