Obsolete Modules

Razvan Crainea-3
Hello!

For the trunk version and the new 2.1 we would like to obsolete some of
the old modules that are no longer widely used anymore. The reason we
are doing this is that it will decrease the compile time for OpenSIPS
and will keep the modules/ directory cleaner.
Note that these modules will not be deleted, but rather moved to a new
directory, called modules_obsolete/. If you really need to use one of
them, you can simply move them in the modules/ directory.

We were first thinking about the following modules:
- mi_xmlrpc - A lighter version called mi_xmlrpc_ng[1] has been
developed, which does not uses the heavy abyss library. For more
information check this thread[2].
- closeddial - The same functionality can be achieved using the more
powerful and efficient dialplan module[3].
- diameter[4] - This module is no longer maintained because the library
it is built on is no longer maintained.

What do you think about this? Are there any reasons why we should keep
any of these modules? What other modules do you think we should move there?

[1] http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/2.1.x/mi_xmlrpc_ng.html
[2] http://lists.opensips.org/pipermail/users/2014-March/028137.html
[3] http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/2.1.x/dialplan.html
[4] http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/2.1.x/auth_diameter.html

Răzvan Crainea
OpenSIPS Solutions
www.opensips-solutions.com

Re: Obsolete Modules

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu-2
OK, let's do this, First modules to become obsolete are "mi_xmlrpc",
"closeddial" and "aaa_diameter".

On 07.11.2014 14:29, Răzvan Crainea wrote:

> Hello!
>
> For the trunk version and the new 2.1 we would like to obsolete some
> of the old modules that are no longer widely used anymore. The reason
> we are doing this is that it will decrease the compile time for
> OpenSIPS and will keep the modules/ directory cleaner.
> Note that these modules will not be deleted, but rather moved to a new
> directory, called modules_obsolete/. If you really need to use one of
> them, you can simply move them in the modules/ directory.
>
> We were first thinking about the following modules:
> - mi_xmlrpc - A lighter version called mi_xmlrpc_ng[1] has been
> developed, which does not uses the heavy abyss library. For more
> information check this thread[2].
> - closeddial - The same functionality can be achieved using the more
> powerful and efficient dialplan module[3].
> - diameter[4] - This module is no longer maintained because the
> library it is built on is no longer maintained.
>
> What do you think about this? Are there any reasons why we should keep
> any of these modules? What other modules do you think we should move
> there?
>
> [1] http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/2.1.x/mi_xmlrpc_ng.html
> [2] http://lists.opensips.org/pipermail/users/2014-March/028137.html
> [3] http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/2.1.x/dialplan.html
> [4] http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/2.1.x/auth_diameter.html
>
> Best regards,

Re: Obsolete Modules

Razvan Crainea-3
Hi, all!

The three modules have been moved to the modules_obsolete/ directory.
I've written two tutorials that contains the steps to migrate from the
old mi_xmlrpc to the new mi_xmlrpc_ng module[1] and from closeddial to
the new dialplan module[2].
Also the documentation page[3] has been updated.

[1] http://www.opensips.org/Documentation/TipsFAQ#toc9
[2] http://www.opensips.org/Documentation/TipsFAQ#toc10
[3] http://www.opensips.org/Documentation/Modules-2-1

Best regards,

Răzvan Crainea
OpenSIPS Solutions
www.opensips-solutions.com

On 11/25/2014 01:59 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:

> OK, let's do this, First modules to become obsolete are "mi_xmlrpc",
> "closeddial" and "aaa_diameter".
>
> Regards,
>
> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> OpenSIPS Founder and Developer
> http://www.opensips-solutions.com
>
> On 07.11.2014 14:29, Răzvan Crainea wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> For the trunk version and the new 2.1 we would like to obsolete some
>> of the old modules that are no longer widely used anymore. The reason
>> we are doing this is that it will decrease the compile time for
>> OpenSIPS and will keep the modules/ directory cleaner.
>> Note that these modules will not be deleted, but rather moved to a
>> new directory, called modules_obsolete/. If you really need to use
>> one of them, you can simply move them in the modules/ directory.
>>
>> We were first thinking about the following modules:
>> - mi_xmlrpc - A lighter version called mi_xmlrpc_ng[1] has been
>> developed, which does not uses the heavy abyss library. For more
>> information check this thread[2].
>> - closeddial - The same functionality can be achieved using the more
>> powerful and efficient dialplan module[3].
>> - diameter[4] - This module is no longer maintained because the
>> library it is built on is no longer maintained.
>>
>> What do you think about this? Are there any reasons why we should
>> keep any of these modules? What other modules do you think we should
>> move there?
>>
>> [1] http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/2.1.x/mi_xmlrpc_ng.html
>> [2] http://lists.opensips.org/pipermail/users/2014-March/028137.html
>> [3] http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/2.1.x/dialplan.html
>> [4] http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/2.1.x/auth_diameter.html
>>
>> Best regards,

Re: Obsolete Modules

fabio4prez
Greetings,

Has the response format been changed to match the same content of the original mi_xmlrpc module?  This was one of my biggest complaints with migrating, because the new module (since all return content is in a single XML node instead of the preferred actual XML content response) used a slightly different, "::" delimited format.  This was problematic because it would cause the rewrite of literally hundreds of nagios remote execution scripts.

Thanks,

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Răzvan Crainea <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ovidiu Sas
All the known issues were addressed.
Please re-test the latest version and let us know.

Regards,
Ovidiu Sas

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Bobby Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

VoIP Embedded, Inc.
http://www.voipembedded.com