OpenSIPS Billing Discrepancy

sguptaau
Hi,
I'm relatively new to OpenSIPS but have been able to deploy a few OpenSIPS installations at our organisation with the assistance of some experts.

Our environment is of terminating short-duration calls for call-centers predominantly.  In such a case, we haven't been receiving accurate billing CDRs as the CDRs being generated by the platform have durations that are inflated by 40-60%.

It was suggested by someone to enable in-call pings and proxy media which have also implemented and whilst this has improved the discrepancies it hasn't fully resolved them.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sahil

Re: OpenSIPS Billing Discrepancy

Ryan Mitchell
Accurate billing is always difficult, surprisingly so.  It's quite common from my experiences to have billing disputes because some stupid BYE message was never recorded.  Few thoughts:

1. despite the transaction handshaking of SIP, hangup messages can and do get lost (or were never sent).

2. lost not always by Opensips or your network, but *somewhere* in the chain from caller to callee.  I often make it a point to capture & save *all* SIP packets in & out of my switches, so I can audit and cover my butt later as needed.

3. SIP timers (and if handling media, rtp timeouts) can be vital.  TCP helps if you can use it.

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 6:49 AM, sguptaau <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I'm relatively new to OpenSIPS but have been able to deploy a few OpenSIPS
installations at our organisation with the assistance of some experts.

Our environment is of terminating short-duration calls for call-centers
predominantly.  In such a case, we haven't been receiving accurate billing
CDRs as the CDRs being generated by the platform have durations that are
inflated by 40-60%.

It was suggested by someone to enable in-call pings and proxy media which
have also implemented and whilst this has improved the discrepancies it
hasn't fully resolved them.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sahil

Ryan Mitchell <[hidden email]>
Telecom Logic, LLC

Re: OpenSIPS Billing Discrepancy

Flavio Goncalves-2
Hi Sahil,

There are many cases were discrepancies are found on billing.

1. Missing BYE messages (fix with RTP Timeout notification or in dialog pings or SIP session timers)
2. 200Ok in provider, but no 200Ok in customer (Network or processing Issues)
3. Time drift in virtualized environments (VMware/Linux environment)
4. Gateways in the middle (We have 2/3s once caused by a slow BYE processing in a gateway/sbc)
5. Rounding (In short duration calls, customers tend to consider 3.1 seconds as 3 seconds while providers tend to consider 4 seconds (have a pre-agreement with the customer, use microseconds timestamps to decide).

My 2 cents

Flavio E. Goncalves