OpenSIPS and Virtual IP implementation

rajib deka
Hi List,

I have implemented Virtual IP based failover for our OpenSIPS linux cluster. The logic is our two OpenSIPS server will share a same Virtual IP, initially master server will be up with the virtual IP and once the master is down the back up OpenSIPS will take over the Virtual IP. The issue I am facing here is after uping and arping the Virtul IP with eth0 interface (irrespective of master or backup), when I restart OpenSIPS to bind the TCP/UDP ports to Virtual IP OpenSIPS  takes more than expected time to start again (restarting). What may be the cause for this? Is there any solution for this? But once OpenSIPS is up it works fine with Virtual IP, also if I restart OpenSIPS only with the physical IP it restarts quickly.

--
Rajib Deka
Software Engineer

Mobile No: + 91 80157 09130

Re: OpenSIPS and Virtual IP implementation

Max Mühlbronner
Hi,

we are running a very similar setup, failover via virtual ips. There is
an option which allows you to bind opensips to this ip.

*|echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_nonlocal_bind

|*

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_nonlocal_bind

    Set this if you want your applications to be able to bind to an
    address which doesn't belong to a device on your system. This can be
    useful when your machine is on a non-permanent (or even dynamic)
    link, so your services are able to start up and bind to a specific
    address when your link is down.

*|Next, you would just need to add the listen lines in Opensips to bind to this virtual ip, opensips will bind to this virtual ip even if it is not yet
available on the system. Should be working great. Hope this helps.

Max M.

rajib deka schrieb:

> Hi List,
>
> I have implemented Virtual IP based failover for our OpenSIPS linux
> cluster. The logic is our two OpenSIPS server will share a same
> Virtual IP, initially master server will be up with the virtual IP and
> once the master is down the back up OpenSIPS will take over the
> Virtual IP. The issue I am facing here is after uping and arping the
> Virtul IP with eth0 interface (irrespective of master or backup), when
> I restart OpenSIPS to bind the TCP/UDP ports to Virtual IP OpenSIPS
> takes more than expected time to start again (restarting). What may be
> the cause for this? Is there any solution for this? But once OpenSIPS
> is up it works fine with Virtual IP, also if I restart OpenSIPS only
> with the physical IP it restarts quickly.
>
> --
> Rajib Deka
> Software Engineer
> Servion Global Solution
> Chennai, India
>
> Mobile No: + 91 80157 09130

Re: OpenSIPS and Virtual IP implementation

rajib deka
Thank you very much Max. Its working now.
Cheers
Rajib

rajib deka schrieb:
> Hi List,
>
> I have implemented Virtual IP based failover for our OpenSIPS linux
> cluster. The logic is our two OpenSIPS server will share a same
> Virtual IP, initially master server will be up with the virtual IP and
> once the master is down the back up OpenSIPS will take over the
> Virtual IP. The issue I am facing here is after uping and arping the
> Virtul IP with eth0 interface (irrespective of master or backup), when
> I restart OpenSIPS to bind the TCP/UDP ports to Virtual IP OpenSIPS
> takes more than expected time to start again (restarting). What may be
> the cause for this? Is there any solution for this? But once OpenSIPS
> is up it works fine with Virtual IP, also if I restart OpenSIPS only
> with the physical IP it restarts quickly.
>
> --
> Rajib Deka
> Software Engineer
> Servion Global Solution