Opensips+Multiple backup servers

sajumurali
Hi all....
I am new in OPENSIPS, having some doubts....
1.  Can the Opnesips handle multiple backup servers?? if yes, how many?

Thanks for all for replying me ASAP
Saju Murali

Re: Opensips+Multiple backup servers

Brett Nemeroff
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:14 AM, sajumurali <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all....
I am new in OPENSIPS, having some doubts....
1.  Can the Opnesips handle multiple backup servers?? if yes, how many?

There are many architectures you can build with opensips. It is very possible to build in redundancy. The level of redundancy is entirely dependent on how you design it.
-Brett

Re: Opensips+Multiple backup servers

osiris123d
I believe it will also depend on whether or not your phone clients are behind a firewall or not.  If they are then you will have to worry about the fact that if the OpenSIPS proxy that the client first registered with goes down then the backup OpenSIPS proxy will not be able to send the client messages since the NAT Firewall doesn't have a pinhole opened up for that backup OpenSIPS router (this assumes that the backup OpenSIPS router has a different IP address from the primary).  A way around this would be HA.  Another option would be if the NAT Firewall/WAN Router has some kind of SIP functions like the Edgewater Network EdgeMarc devices.

Another option is the fact that most IP phones can be configured with a failover Registration Server IP.

Re: Opensips+Multiple backup servers

when design a backup server you need to consider:
    1) routing to new server - you need a mechanism for IP migration or
DNS switching (SIP is more friendly with IP migration)
    2) replicating registration data to backups - see the t_replicate()
function in TM module - you can replicated to as many backup servers you
want

http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.6.x/tm.html#treplicate

sajumurali wrote:
> Hi all....
> I am new in OPENSIPS, having some doubts....
> 1.  Can the Opnesips handle multiple backup servers?? if yes, how many?
>
> Thanks for all for replying me ASAP
> Saju Murali

OpenSIPS Bootcamp
20 - 24 September 2010, Frankfurt, Germany
www.voice-system.ro