Paid Consultation Request

123

Paid Consultation Request

Geoffrey Mina
Hello,
I am looking for anyone who would consider themselves an 'expert' in
the field of OpenSIPS.  My company is launching an OpenSIPS deployment
to front-end all the SIP traffic entering our network.  I would like
to have someone experienced look over my config to give it the
proverbial 'blessing'.

We run a very high profile network and I can't afford to have any
minor misconfigurations or problems cause issues down the road.

I would be willing to pay $150/hr (USD) via PayPal.  I am guessing I
will need 2(ish) hours, and IM/MSN/Skype chat would be the best.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.
Thanks,
Geoff

p.s. we are primarily using the dispatcher module, so any interested
party should know that one inside and out!

Re: Paid Consultation Request

Adrian Georgescu
Geoffrey,

In my experience nobody on this mailing list with enough knowledge in this matter will be able to help fix all your possible miss-configurations as it can span fixing the whole universe depending on an infinit matrix of possibilities.

A 2 hour 'blessing' is most likely exactly what you are going to get for 300$. If you are the one responsable for 'a very high profile network'  and hope that by a 2 hour quick check you will be out of trouble, think that this has a very low probability to happen.

So nobody good enough for the job will take your request seriously.

Adrian

On Feb 11, 2009, at 5:46 PM, Geoffrey Mina wrote:

Hello,
I am looking for anyone who would consider themselves an 'expert' in
the field of OpenSIPS.  My company is launching an OpenSIPS deployment
to front-end all the SIP traffic entering our network.  I would like
to have someone experienced look over my config to give it the
proverbial 'blessing'.

We run a very high profile network and I can't afford to have any
minor misconfigurations or problems cause issues down the road.

I would be willing to pay $150/hr (USD) via PayPal.  I am guessing I
will need 2(ish) hours, and IM/MSN/Skype chat would be the best.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.
Thanks,
Geoff

p.s. we are primarily using the dispatcher module, so any interested
party should know that one inside and out!

Re: Paid Consultation Request

Iñaki Baz Castillo
2009/2/11 Adrian Georgescu <[hidden email]>:

> Geoffrey,
> In my experience nobody on this mailing list with enough knowledge in this
> matter will be able to help fix all your possible miss-configurations as it
> can span fixing the whole universe depending on an infinit matrix
> of possibilities.
> A 2 hour 'blessing' is most likely exactly what you are going to get for
> 300$. If you are the one responsable for 'a very high profile network'  and
> hope that by a 2 hour quick check you will be out of trouble, think that
> this has a very low probability to happen.
> So nobody good enough for the job will take your request seriously.

I fully agree. Nobody, including the most expert people, can "fix" or
check a proxy configuration for a high profile network in 2 hours
(neither in 8 hours).
Such kind of miracle doesn't exist.

<[hidden email]>

Re: Paid Consultation Request

Alex Balashov
Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:

> 2009/2/11 Adrian Georgescu <[hidden email]>:
>> Geoffrey,
>> In my experience nobody on this mailing list with enough knowledge in this
>> matter will be able to help fix all your possible miss-configurations as it
>> can span fixing the whole universe depending on an infinit matrix
>> of possibilities.
>> A 2 hour 'blessing' is most likely exactly what you are going to get for
>> 300$. If you are the one responsable for 'a very high profile network'  and
>> hope that by a 2 hour quick check you will be out of trouble, think that
>> this has a very low probability to happen.
>> So nobody good enough for the job will take your request seriously.
>
> I fully agree. Nobody, including the most expert people, can "fix" or
> check a proxy configuration for a high profile network in 2 hours
> (neither in 8 hours).
> Such kind of miracle doesn't exist.

Then there's the financial issue.  People with solid knowledge are
usually quite busy;  there is no way it is worth anyone's time to drop
what they're doing and get involved in anything for 2 hours.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems

Re: Paid Consultation Request

Geoffrey Mina
Thanks for your reply, but I tend to disagree.  I have spent many
hours programming my OpenSIPs deployment as well as processing test
calls.  It is a VERY simple deployment, which is why I think that 2
hours will be more than enough.  The factors are:

1 - We have one SIP provider
2 - We are ONLY handling INVITE requests for the purpose of load
balancing IVR systems
3 - We are using dispatcher in round-robin mode

With the scope of functionality being so narrow, I see no reason why
someone with some good experience wouldn't be able to simply
double-check my work.  This is my first fore into OpenSIPs, but
certainly not my first into SIP.

Looking forward to some other responses.

Thanks,
Geoff

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Adrian Georgescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Geoffrey,
> In my experience nobody on this mailing list with enough knowledge in this
> matter will be able to help fix all your possible miss-configurations as it
> can span fixing the whole universe depending on an infinit matrix
> of possibilities.
> A 2 hour 'blessing' is most likely exactly what you are going to get for
> 300$. If you are the one responsable for 'a very high profile network'  and
> hope that by a 2 hour quick check you will be out of trouble, think that
> this has a very low probability to happen.
> So nobody good enough for the job will take your request seriously.
> Adrian
> On Feb 11, 2009, at 5:46 PM, Geoffrey Mina wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I am looking for anyone who would consider themselves an 'expert' in
> the field of OpenSIPS.  My company is launching an OpenSIPS deployment
> to front-end all the SIP traffic entering our network.  I would like
> to have someone experienced look over my config to give it the
> proverbial 'blessing'.
>
> We run a very high profile network and I can't afford to have any
> minor misconfigurations or problems cause issues down the road.
>
> I would be willing to pay $150/hr (USD) via PayPal.  I am guessing I
> will need 2(ish) hours, and IM/MSN/Skype chat would be the best.
>
> If anyone is interested, please let me know.
> Thanks,
> Geoff
>
> p.s. we are primarily using the dispatcher module, so any interested
> party should know that one inside and out!

Re: Paid Consultation Request

Geoffrey Mina
If it is simply a matter of financials, I would be willing to discuss
that matter with any interested party off-line.

thanks.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Alex Balashov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
>> 2009/2/11 Adrian Georgescu <[hidden email]>:
>>> Geoffrey,
>>> In my experience nobody on this mailing list with enough knowledge in this
>>> matter will be able to help fix all your possible miss-configurations as it
>>> can span fixing the whole universe depending on an infinit matrix
>>> of possibilities.
>>> A 2 hour 'blessing' is most likely exactly what you are going to get for
>>> 300$. If you are the one responsable for 'a very high profile network'  and
>>> hope that by a 2 hour quick check you will be out of trouble, think that
>>> this has a very low probability to happen.
>>> So nobody good enough for the job will take your request seriously.
>>
>> I fully agree. Nobody, including the most expert people, can "fix" or
>> check a proxy configuration for a high profile network in 2 hours
>> (neither in 8 hours).
>> Such kind of miracle doesn't exist.
>
> Then there's the financial issue.  People with solid knowledge are
> usually quite busy;  there is no way it is worth anyone's time to drop
> what they're doing and get involved in anything for 2 hours.
>
> --
> Alex Balashov
> Evariste Systems
> Web    : http://www.evaristesys.com/
> Tel    : (+1) (678) 954-0670
> Direct : (+1) (678) 954-0671
> Mobile : (+1) (678) 237-1775

Re: Paid Consultation Request

Adrian Georgescu
Geoffrey,

I am trying to help you fine tune your expectations. Anyone can briefly tell you what is wrong as they spot some issue. But a good consultant would tell you what you have missed too and how to solve problems you did not foresee yet. So by asking the wrong question and setting up the expectation so low you will get the same kind of answer and quality back.

Adrian

2009/2/11 Geoffrey Mina <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks for your reply, but I tend to disagree.  I have spent many
> hours programming my OpenSIPs deployment as well as processing test
> calls.  It is a VERY simple deployment, which is why I think that 2
> hours will be more than enough.  The factors are:
>
> 1 - We have one SIP provider
> 2 - We are ONLY handling INVITE requests for the purpose of load
> balancing IVR systems
> 3 - We are using dispatcher in round-robin mode
>
> With the scope of functionality being so narrow, I see no reason why
> someone with some good experience wouldn't be able to simply
> double-check my work.  This is my first fore into OpenSIPs, but
> certainly not my first into SIP.

Note that there is no an *unique* way of configuring OpenSIPs.
Probably each user has his own style.
Personally I get frightened when I see opensips.cfg files written by
others XDD (because I've my own way of writting it and I'm not used to
the style of others). I can't work over a opensips.cfg written by
other.

Sincerelly I think this matter is more complex than your assumption.

Best regards.

<[hidden email]>

Re: Paid Consultation Request

Geoffrey Mina
Well, I wouldn't really be looking for solutions to any problems
found.  I would simply be looking for someone to identify possible
problems in my config.  Once an 'issue' has been identified, I will
work to address it myself.  My config works great in a bubble, so I
can't be that far off.

Basically what this comes down to is a scenario of "I don't know what
I don't know"... if that makes any sense.

Thanks,
Geoff

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/2/11 Geoffrey Mina <[hidden email]>:
>> Thanks for your reply, but I tend to disagree.  I have spent many
>> hours programming my OpenSIPs deployment as well as processing test
>> calls.  It is a VERY simple deployment, which is why I think that 2
>> hours will be more than enough.  The factors are:
>>
>> 1 - We have one SIP provider
>> 2 - We are ONLY handling INVITE requests for the purpose of load
>> balancing IVR systems
>> 3 - We are using dispatcher in round-robin mode
>>
>> With the scope of functionality being so narrow, I see no reason why
>> someone with some good experience wouldn't be able to simply
>> double-check my work.  This is my first fore into OpenSIPs, but
>> certainly not my first into SIP.
>
> Note that there is no an *unique* way of configuring OpenSIPs.
> Probably each user has his own style.
> Personally I get frightened when I see opensips.cfg files written by
> others XDD (because I've my own way of writting it and I'm not used to
> the style of others). I can't work over a opensips.cfg written by
> other.
>
> Sincerelly I think this matter is more complex than your assumption.
>
> Best regards.
>

> --
> Iñaki Baz Castillo
> <[hidden email]>

Re: Paid Consultation Request

John Rose
Often people and companies underestimate the complexities of a SIP proxy
installation. There are many variables particularly ones with carriers,
phones, NAT's, firewalls...  Many assume it is just configuration. A lot of
it is but unless you have worked it in depth you won't know.

Here is a free "blessing" - Seek and you shall find my dear OpenSIPS N00B.
Let the light guide you through the valley of SIP and networking
complexities :)

John

There is no NAT
There is no Firewall (running local IPTables)
There are no 'users'
There are no 'phones'
There is a single upstream Carrier
There ARE a plurality of asterisk based IVR systems which are
processing the media.  All configured identically, all on the same
network.

I have been doing SIP for years, just not using OpenSIPS as my
Loadbalancer/Gateway of choice.
I have been writing networked applications for 5 times the length of
my SIP experience... an OpenSIPS N00B perhaps, but a network/SIP N00B
I think not.

I know enough to know that my configuration is NOT complex.  I am
shocked to hear that so many people on this list think this type of
OpenSIPS configuration is complicated to the point that an experienced
user couldn't take a look at a simple 150 line configuration file and
point out any glaring issues and identify some best practice
scenarios.

Hopefully there are some experienced users out there who are
interested in contributing something useful instead of this dribble
about how smart you are and how complex your OpenSIPS configuration
is.

-Geoff

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM, John Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Often people and companies underestimate the complexities of a SIP proxy
> installation. There are many variables particularly ones with carriers,
> phones, NAT's, firewalls...  Many assume it is just configuration. A lot of
> it is but unless you have worked it in depth you won't know.
>
> Here is a free "blessing" - Seek and you shall find my dear OpenSIPS N00B.
> Let the light guide you through the valley of SIP and networking
> complexities :)
>
> John

You will likely obtain more help from this mailing lists if you narrow down the scope of your questions and ask for help about the specific problems you encounter. For example locate your problem, describe it, provide a useful trace.

You will be surprised how effective this can be. Just a different angle of approach will yield more results. Or don't name that price ;-)

Adrian

On Feb 11, 2009, at 9:48 PM, Geoffrey Mina wrote:

[...]

Mark Sayer
I'm afraid I have to echo Geoff's response to this. It's fascinating
to see so many people telling him that this community isn't going to
help him. It would seem that if you can't or are unwilling to help
for whatever reason, then just press delete. His request, while
perhaps a bit naive, was honest.

Mark

Re: Paid Consultation Request

Norman Brandinger
Geoff,

The old OpenSER/Kamailio site has a "business" mailing list that is
dedicated to this type of topic.  Seems like a good idea to create a
similar mailing list for the OpenSIPS folks.

I have to agree with Adrian's recent comments in regard to narrowing
down the scope of your problem/request.

There are no doubt people out there that will take your money and not
provide the value you're looking for.  You may not be happy with some of
the responses to your request, but those that made the responses are
really trying to help you look out for your own interests.

Since you're a network engineer, you should know that; 1) trying to load
balance SIP traffic, and 2) using Asterisk to process the media of the
load balanced traffic; isn't necessarily trivial.

If you've got something up and running in a lab environment error free,
I congratulate you as you probably don't need any outside help.
However, if you're throwing errors in your lab environment, as Adrian
suggested, you might want to consider detailing the problem and asking
for some help.

Regards,
Norm

Geoffrey Mina wrote:

> There is no NAT
> There is no Firewall (running local IPTables)
> There are no 'users'
> There are no 'phones'
> There is a single upstream Carrier
> There ARE a plurality of asterisk based IVR systems which are
> processing the media.  All configured identically, all on the same
> network.
>
> I have been doing SIP for years, just not using OpenSIPS as my
> Loadbalancer/Gateway of choice.
> I have been writing networked applications for 5 times the length of
> my SIP experience... an OpenSIPS N00B perhaps, but a network/SIP N00B
> I think not.
>
> I know enough to know that my configuration is NOT complex.  I am
> shocked to hear that so many people on this list think this type of
> OpenSIPS configuration is complicated to the point that an experienced
> user couldn't take a look at a simple 150 line configuration file and
> point out any glaring issues and identify some best practice
> scenarios.
>
> Hopefully there are some experienced users out there who are
> interested in contributing something useful instead of this dribble
> about how smart you are and how complex your OpenSIPS configuration
> is.
>
> -Geoff
>

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM, John Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Often people and companies underestimate the complexities of a SIP proxy
>> installation. There are many variables particularly ones with carriers,
>> phones, NAT's, firewalls...  Many assume it is just configuration. A lot of
>> it is but unless you have worked it in depth you won't know.
>>
>> Here is a free "blessing" - Seek and you shall find my dear OpenSIPS N00B.
>> Let the light guide you through the valley of SIP and networking
>> complexities :)
>>
>> John

It's nice to see there are actually some folks out there who can
(almost) see where I am coming from.  The general response of the
community is quite surprising.  I was expecting much different
when submitted.

My system is working 100% error free in the 'lab' environment, so
hopefully you are correct in your assumption that I have achieved
success.

I have heard everyone LOUD and CLEAR.  Unless it's broken or not
working as expected... don't come here looking for advice and
mentoring!

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Norman Brandinger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> scenarios.
>>
>> Hopefully there are some experienced users out there who are
>> interested in contributing something useful instead of this dribble
>> about how smart you are and how complex your OpenSIPS configuration
>> is.
>>
>> -Geoff
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM, John Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Often people and companies underestimate the complexities of a SIP proxy
>>> installation. There are many variables particularly ones with carriers,
>>> phones, NAT's, firewalls...  Many assume it is just configuration. A lot
>>> of
>>> it is but unless you have worked it in depth you won't know.
>>>
>>> Here is a free "blessing" - Seek and you shall find my dear OpenSIPS
>>> N00B.
>>> Let the light guide you through the valley of SIP and networking

If those items are not involved it is definitely less complicated.

Maybe you should post your script and seek comments? What's the big deal
it's only 150 lines...

John

El Miércoles, 11 de Febrero de 2009, Mark Sayer escribió:
> I'm afraid I have to echo Geoff's response to this. It's fascinating
> to see so many people telling him that this community isn't going to
> help him. It would seem that if you can't or are unwilling to help
> for whatever reason, then just press delete. His request, while
> perhaps a bit naive, was honest.

Nobody says that his request wasn't honest, in fact I'm very happy when I read
people looking for professional help in those maillists, and I thank Geoffrey
for that.

But under my experience configuring an OpenSIPS (even in the most simple
scenario) is not trivial, and checking an OpenSIPS configuration made by
other for running in an unknown environment is very far from being easy and
feasible in a few hours.

I'm trying to be sincere by giving my opinion, no more.

Best regards.

Re: Paid Consultation Request

Geoffrey Mina
John,
Attached is my config file.  I generally don't like to presume that
individuals want to help me Pro Bono, which is why I offered the
bounty.

Thanks,
Geoff

opensips.cfg (6K) Download Attachment

El Miércoles, 11 de Febrero de 2009, Geoffrey Mina escribió:

> It's nice to see there are actually some folks out there who can
> (almost) see where I am coming from.  The general response of the
> community is quite surprising.  I was expecting much different
> when submitted.
>
> My system is working 100% error free in the 'lab' environment, so
> hopefully you are correct in your assumption that I have achieved
> success.
>
> I have heard everyone LOUD and CLEAR.  Unless it's broken or not
> working as expected... don't come here looking for advice and
> mentoring!

Please paste your configuration (better if you attach it as text file) and
make a description of what it's supposed to do. Detail also in which points
you could have some doubt.

You didn't understand us (better if I speak just about me). I'm ready to help
if I read a good and detailed description. What I don't like is the way you
initiated your request, very honest, but unfeasible in fact (IMHO).

So please, let's help you in a more feasible way :)

123