Prioritised Load Balancing in OpenSIPS

Faisal Rehman
Hi Everyone,

I have been working on the Load Balancing project of OpenSIPS & I have been successful yet in case of normal balancing, but now I want to move towards prioritised load balancing. Let me explain this for you, for example if I am having few Asterisk or Free-switch servers & the servers have different resource & memory specifications from highest (let's say 48G RAM) to lowest (let's say 4G RAM), so I want the most powerful servers to be used first & then the load is gradually distributed to the least & least & least server depending upon its resource & memory power.

So is that something I can do & if it is possible then how can I achieve that?

Best Regards,

Faisal Rehman

Re: Prioritised Load Balancing in OpenSIPS

SamyGo
Hey,

So, it comes to weighted Load balancing !!
1- Intelligent use of resources column in DB can work for you. i.e define resources allocation per MediaServer specs.
2- Adding multiple same "dst_uri"s for hig-end servers i.e if you want 4:1 distribution then add 4 entries of same server and one of the second one.
Thats just my idea.

Regards,
-Sammy

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Faisal Rehman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have been working on the Load Balancing project of OpenSIPS & I have been successful yet in case of normal balancing, but now I want to move towards prioritised load balancing. Let me explain this for you, for example if I am having few Asterisk or Free-switch servers & the servers have different resource & memory specifications from highest (let's say 48G RAM) to lowest (let's say 4G RAM), so I want the most powerful servers to be used first & then the load is gradually distributed to the least & least & least server depending upon its resource & memory power.

So is that something I can do & if it is possible then how can I achieve that?

Best Regards,

Faisal Rehman

Re: Prioritised Load Balancing in OpenSIPS

Faisal Rehman
Hi Sam,

What do you say this link will work for me to fulfill the desired requirement:

Best Regards,

Faisal Rehman

Re: Prioritised Load Balancing in OpenSIPS

Gohar Ahmed

Hey Faisal,

I think OpenSIPs distributes the calls in round robin fashion from the Loadbalancer group. (If resource capacity allows) – So like you’re asking to get better servers more call volume and send less calls to low-end servers then you may also need to look at the sequence of the dst_uris defined in addition to what Sammmy suggested.

I guess using a combination of destination insertion sequence, resource limits (“callcap=20” for low-end “callcap=200” for higend), plus multiple declaration of same server can do the job for you.

Regards,

Gohar A.