Problem load-testing opensips with Auth

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problem load-testing opensips with Auth

Juan Backson
Hi,

I am running load testing on opensips using sipp.  When tested with pure registration without Auth ( opensips just store info in the location table), I get cps of >10K.  However, when I change the script to enable auth via database table, I get only cps of around 80.  Does anyone know why?  I am using mysql and I don't think mysql should perform that bad.  Can someone give me some pointers on where to look to identify the bottleneck?

The other problem I am having is that I am getting with the latest 1.4.2 svn:
Dec  6 11:09:53 localhost openser-1.2.0-ul[9514]: ERROR:auth:build_auth_hf: no more nonces can be generated
Dec  6 11:09:53 localhost openser-1.2.0-ul[9512]: ERROR:auth:challenge: failed to generate nonce

How can I fix it?

Another problem I am struggling with is that when testing with sipp with authentication turned on, sipp responses with:
2008-12-06      19:15:26:890    1228562126.890990: Aborting call on UDP retransmission timeout for Call-ID '[hidden email]'.  for some of the calls even though I also set the recv_timeout to 10s:
./sipp 192.168.1.105:5030 -sf tests/reg_with_auth/xmlregister.xml -inf tests/reg_with_auth/register.csv -r 20000 -m 100000 -trace_rtt -trace_screen -l 10  -trace_err -max_retrans 0 -recv_timeout 10s

With recv_timeout of 10s, I don't think sipp should even timeout at all.  Does anyone know what I may have done wrong?


Thank you in advance for all your kind help.

Best Regards,
JB















_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.opensips.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem load-testing opensips with Auth

Juan Backson
Hi,

I fixed the "nonce" error with the latest 1.4.2 svn release.  Previously, I got the latest release mixed up with old .so file.  Now it is working fine.  Thank you for the fix.

The only problem I have left is about the performance of opensips when Auth is involved. Without Authentication, Opensips can process >10K registration requests/s.  When Authentication is involved, it can only handle 80 registration requests/s.  The box in this case is a Pentinum dual core with 2G Ram.

After I moved the mysql DB to a qual-core Xeon 4G RAM box, cps of registration requests increased to 550/s.  Is this roughly that I should be expecting? 

I hope to see the kind of benchmarking number that other people are seeing.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
JB






On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Juan Backson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am running load testing on opensips using sipp.  When tested with pure registration without Auth ( opensips just store info in the location table), I get cps of >10K.  However, when I change the script to enable auth via database table, I get only cps of around 80.  Does anyone know why?  I am using mysql and I don't think mysql should perform that bad.  Can someone give me some pointers on where to look to identify the bottleneck?

The other problem I am having is that I am getting with the latest 1.4.2 svn:
Dec  6 11:09:53 localhost openser-1.2.0-ul[9514]: ERROR:auth:build_auth_hf: no more nonces can be generated
Dec  6 11:09:53 localhost openser-1.2.0-ul[9512]: ERROR:auth:challenge: failed to generate nonce

How can I fix it?

Another problem I am struggling with is that when testing with sipp with authentication turned on, sipp responses with:
2008-12-06      19:15:26:890    1228562126.890990: Aborting call on UDP retransmission timeout for Call-ID '[hidden email]'.  for some of the calls even though I also set the recv_timeout to 10s:
./sipp 192.168.1.105:5030 -sf tests/reg_with_auth/xmlregister.xml -inf tests/reg_with_auth/register.csv -r 20000 -m 100000 -trace_rtt -trace_screen -l 10  -trace_err -max_retrans 0 -recv_timeout 10s

With recv_timeout of 10s, I don't think sipp should even timeout at all.  Does anyone know what I may have done wrong?


Thank you in advance for all your kind help.

Best Regards,
JB
















_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.opensips.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem load-testing opensips with Auth

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Juan,

Juan Backson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I fixed the "nonce" error with the latest 1.4.2 svn release.  
> Previously, I got the latest release mixed up with old .so file.  Now
> it is working fine.  Thank you for the fix.

that was an ugly one and I glad that Anca provide a fast and reliable
fix for it.

>
> The only problem I have left is about the performance of opensips when
> Auth is involved. Without Authentication, Opensips can process >10K
> registration requests/s.  When Authentication is involved, it can only
> handle 80 registration requests/s.  The box in this case is a Pentinum
> dual core with 2G Ram.
>
> After I moved the mysql DB to a qual-core Xeon 4G RAM box, cps of
> registration requests increased to 550/s.  Is this roughly that I
> should be expecting?
once you enable the authentication, you actually start measuring the
performance of the DB server and not of opensips - opensips it much,
much faster than a DB server is able to response, so the db query for
the password becomes the bottleneck.
>
> I hope to see the kind of benchmarking number that other people are
> seeing.
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
what you can try to do is:
1) decouple authentication from DB - use a static password in the script
to push it directly in the auth module (instead ofDB query)
2) to a benchmark (from the server where opensips runs) against the DB
server, directly from mysql client - see how many queries per second you
can do; this will give you a fair idea about who's guilty for the delays.


Best regards,
Bogdan

>
> Regards,
> JB
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Juan Backson <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I am running load testing on opensips using sipp.  When tested
>     with pure registration without Auth ( opensips just store info in
>     the location table), I get cps of >10K.  However, when I change
>     the script to enable auth via database table, I get only cps of
>     around 80.  Does anyone know why?  I am using mysql and I don't
>     think mysql should perform that bad.  Can someone give me some
>     pointers on where to look to identify the bottleneck?
>
>     The other problem I am having is that I am getting with the latest
>     1.4.2 svn:
>     Dec  6 11:09:53 localhost openser-1.2.0-ul[9514]:
>     ERROR:auth:build_auth_hf: no more nonces can be generated
>     Dec  6 11:09:53 localhost openser-1.2.0-ul[9512]:
>     ERROR:auth:challenge: failed to generate nonce
>
>     How can I fix it?
>
>     Another problem I am struggling with is that when testing with
>     sipp with authentication turned on, sipp responses with:
>     2008-12-06      19:15:26:890    1228562126.890990: Aborting call
>     on UDP retransmission timeout for Call-ID '426-4172@127.0.0.1
>     <mailto:426-4172@127.0.0.1>'.  for some of the calls even though I
>     also set the recv_timeout to 10s:
>     ./sipp 192.168.1.105:5030 <http://192.168.1.105:5030> -sf
>     tests/reg_with_auth/xmlregister.xml -inf
>     tests/reg_with_auth/register.csv -r 20000 -m 100000 -trace_rtt
>     -trace_screen -l 10  -trace_err -max_retrans 0 -recv_timeout 10s
>
>     With recv_timeout of 10s, I don't think sipp should even timeout
>     at all.  Does anyone know what I may have done wrong?
>
>
>     Thank you in advance for all your kind help.
>
>     Best Regards,
>     JB
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.opensips.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
>  


_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.opensips.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users