Problem using a shared usrloc table with NAT Ping (OPTIONS) on both opensips instances

Problem using a shared usrloc table with NAT Ping (OPTIONS) on both opensips instances

Max Mühlbronner
Hi,

I experienced something weird: I got two servers sharing the same
location table. (usrloc module)

My problem is: both servers got nathelper ping (OPTIONS) enabled. The
Opensips instance A has it's own clients and instance B also...

Now as the location database/table is being shared by both servers the
NAT Pings from Instance B are also sent for clients which are registered
on instance A.

I did not find any solution to tell Opensips A/B to only ping "their"
registered clients. The force_socket option of nathelper will not solve
my issue as both servers got their own socket/IP.

Is there any workaround for my situation? (Nat ping does not take the
socket/IP of the registered client into account?)

Best Regards

--
Max Mühlbronner
42com Telecommunication GmbH

Firmenangaben/Company information:
Handelsregister/Commercial register: Amtsgericht Berlin HRB 99071 B
Umsatzsteuer-ID/VAT-ID: DE223812306
Geschäftsführer/CEO: Thomas Reinig, Alexander Reinig

Diese E-Mail enthält Informationen von 42com Telecommunication GmbH.
Diese sind möglicherweise vertraulich und ausschließlich für den
Adressaten bestimmt.
Sollten Sie diese elektronische Nachricht irrtümlicherweise erhalten
haben, so informieren Sie uns bitte unverzüglich telefonisch oder per
E-Mail.
which it is addressed.
If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us immediately.

Re: Problem using a shared usrloc table with NAT Ping (OPTIONS) on both opensips instances

Max Mühlbronner
I just found this bug which turned into a feature request (from 2012)
someone else had exactly the same problem:

https://sourceforge.net/p/opensips/feature-requests/99/

@Bogdan, if for whatever reason the table is being shared by two
Opensips instances (In my case it's not for balancing/failover at all
but just for having the registrations for two servers in one central
place for checking with external scripts/other optimizations...)

Shouldn't each instance check whether it's his client or not before
sending the keepalive/OPTIONS pings? This would fix the problems in
scenarios like mine and i would guess there are a lot of people with the
same problem: but they probably never noticed it, or never will.

Best Regards

Max M.

On 07.04.2016 13:00, Max Mühlbronner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I experienced something weird: I got two servers sharing the same
> location table. (usrloc module)
>
> My problem is: both servers got nathelper ping (OPTIONS) enabled. The
> Opensips instance A has it's own clients and instance B also...
>
> Now as the location database/table is being shared by both servers the
> NAT Pings from Instance B are also sent for clients which are
> registered on instance A.
>
> I did not find any solution to tell Opensips A/B to only ping "their"
> registered clients. The force_socket option of nathelper will not
> solve my issue as both servers got their own socket/IP.
>
> Is there any workaround for my situation? (Nat ping does not take the
> socket/IP of the registered client into account?)
>

> Best Regards

Re: Problem using a shared usrloc table with NAT Ping (OPTIONS) on both opensips instances

Max Mühlbronner
Great, this could be the solution to my problem. I had no idea, i will look into it.

Thanks very much.

Best Regards

Max M.

On 18.04.2016 12:21, Benjamin Cropley wrote:
[...]

Hi Max,

Instead of merging the registration into the same table for the sake of
reading it, maybe it would be simpler to have one table per opensips
instance and use mysql view with a union to merge the two tables - and
your external scripts will look into that view which will hold records
from both tables.