[RELEASE] OpenSIPS 1.11 beta major release is out

[RELEASE] OpenSIPS 1.11 beta major release is out

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu-2
Hello everyone!

The OpenSIPS Project is proud to announce the release of OpenSIPS
version 1.11 (beta)!

We would like to thank the OpenSIPS community for all of their hard and
diligent work in making this release possible. We could never have done
it without you!

Special thanks go out to Ovidiu Sas, Walter Doekes, Damien Sandrs, Nick
Altmann, Brett Nemeroff, Ryan Bullock (and many others) for your amazing
contribution on this release. We truly appreciate you!

Building on our industry ready platform, we're excited to introduce many
new features and updates. But also we've continued to make inroads in
developing an easier to use OpenSIPS.

Version 1.11 brings with it enhancements to the core, script handling,
and many important modules.

The OpenSIPS core has received a new memory allocator to increase
performance. It's tunable and provides fine-grained locking!

We've also heard your requests on improving scripting capabilities. Say
hello to the SCRIPT_HELPER module and to the “for-each” statement! The
learning curve will not be so steep again!

We've also introduced 4 new modules in this release...

- B2B_SCA module providing new shared call appearance features
- CALL_CENTER module that introduces call queue features
- MI_JSON module to encode data in JSON format over HTTP for the MI
Interface commands
- SCRIPT_HELPER module to simplify the script/configuration for beginners

In all, too many features to list. However you can view them all by
visiting the version page at:
http://www.opensips.org/About/Version-1-11-0

Again, we are excited about all the new changes version 1.11 delivers.
We continue to appreciate all the feedback and help from the community.

We still have many things to be done to get to the stable release (in ~1
month), like improving the documentation, keep working on fixing bugs,
excessive testing and others.

We're always listening to your requests, so never be shy in making one!

Many thanks,
The OpenSIPS Project Team

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RELEASE] OpenSIPS 1.11 beta major release is out

Brett Nemeroff
Awesome news!!

I can't wait to test out the new high performance stuffs :)  Great work guys!
-Brett

[...]

Re: [RELEASE] OpenSIPS 1.11 beta major release is out

Ryan Bullock
This is an exciting release! The new memory allocator looks really interesting. Are there any numbers showing how its performance compares to the current?

Great work!

~Ryan Bullock

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Liviu Chircu
Hello Ryan,

The limitation of the classic OpenSIPS allocators is that they scale poorly both with the scripting logic (more logic -> more mallocs -> more contention), with hardware (the allocation is completely serial), and with incoming traffic (again, they are serial!).

When discussing CPU performance, the scripting logic itself has a big impact. Just write a dummy route, and you're likely to be able to handle 10k cps with the existing code.

In the scenario we've optimized, the gains were almost 5x on a 40-core machine (went up to 20k cps), compared to the F_MALLOC allocator. The effective gain would have probably been even bigger, had the logic been more complex.

However, the new allocator has no defragmentation support - it needs to be reworked. So if you don't estimate the load on your server well enough... you'll get core dumps as a reward!

NB: as you might have expected, the processes did not have to handle any blocking operations.

Best regards,
Liviu Chircu
OpenSIPS Developer
http://www.opensips-solutions.com
On 03/24/2014 06:46 PM, Ryan Bullock wrote:
[...]

Liviu,

That is an impressive improvement. I would be interested in some details on how to properly size for use with HP_MALLOC (I assume this would be the amount of shared memory for opensips?). Can this be gauged from the shmem statistics running under f_malloc?

Regards,

Ryan Bullock