[RELEASES] Planing OpenSIPS 1.9.0 major release

12

[RELEASES] Planing OpenSIPS 1.9.0 major release

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu-2
Hi all,

I would like to start a discussion about the next OpenSIPS major release
- and in this discussion anyone is welcomed with options, ideas, critics
and other. Your feedback is important to drive the project into a
direction that reflects the user's needs!.

So, I will here the starting points, for both release planing and
release content.

Content
-------
What was done:
         http://www.opensips.org/Main/Ver190#toc2
What is planned:
         http://www.opensips.org/Main/Ver190#toc9
Planned items have priorities (for being addressed); it is a must to
have all items done for the next release, as we need to fit into a time
frame. Whatever is not done, will be left for the next release (1.10)

Planing
-------
Release candidate:
     second half of January 2012, depending on the progress with the
items to be done.
Testing phase:
     1 month allocated (it may be extended if critical problems show up)
Stable release:
     second half of February (after the testing phase is done).

Once again, your feedback on these matters is important to us.

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RELEASES] Planing OpenSIPS 1.9.0 major release

Ovidiu Sas
Locks for config could be integrated in cfgutils (instead of creating
a new module).

-ovidiu

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to start a discussion about the next OpenSIPS major release -
> and in this discussion anyone is welcomed with options, ideas, critics and
> other. Your feedback is important to drive the project into a direction that
> reflects the user's needs!.
>
> So, I will here the starting points, for both release planing and release
> content.
>

> Content
> -------
> What was done:
>         http://www.opensips.org/Main/Ver190#toc2
> What is planned:
>         http://www.opensips.org/Main/Ver190#toc9
> Planned items have priorities (for being addressed); it is a must to have
> all items done for the next release, as we need to fit into a time frame.
> Whatever is not done, will be left for the next release (1.10)
>

> Planing
> -------
> Release candidate:
>     second half of January 2012, depending on the progress with the items to
> be done.
> Testing phase:
>     1 month allocated (it may be extended if critical problems show up)
> Stable release:
>     second half of February (after the testing phase is done).
>

> Once again, your feedback on these matters is important to us.
>

> Best regards,
>
> --
> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> OpenSIPS Founder and Developer
> http://www.opensips-solutions.com

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RELEASES] Planing OpenSIPS 1.9.0 major release

osiris123d
Is there any roadmap for "SIP over Websocket"?  I know there is now OverSIP but wasn't sure if OpenSIPS had any plans to implement a module.  Just asking since WebRTC is still evolving.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to start a discussion about the next OpenSIPS major release -
> and in this discussion anyone is welcomed with options, ideas, critics and
> other. Your feedback is important to drive the project into a direction that
> reflects the user's needs!.
>
> So, I will here the starting points, for both release planing and release
> content.
>

> Content
> -------
> What was done:
>         http://www.opensips.org/Main/Ver190#toc2
> What is planned:
>         http://www.opensips.org/Main/Ver190#toc9
> Planned items have priorities (for being addressed); it is a must to have
> all items done for the next release, as we need to fit into a time frame.
> Whatever is not done, will be left for the next release (1.10)
>

> Planing
> -------
> Release candidate:
>     second half of January 2012, depending on the progress with the items to
> be done.
> Testing phase:
>     1 month allocated (it may be extended if critical problems show up)
> Stable release:
>     second half of February (after the testing phase is done).
>

> Once again, your feedback on these matters is important to us.
>

> Best regards,
>
> --
> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> OpenSIPS Founder and Developer
> http://www.opensips-solutions.com

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RELEASES] Planing OpenSIPS 1.9.0 major release

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé

On Oct 26, 2012, at 5:20 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to start a discussion about the next OpenSIPS major release - and in this discussion anyone is welcomed with options, ideas, critics and other. Your feedback is important to drive the project into a direction that reflects the user's needs!.
>
> So, I will here the starting points, for both release planing and release content.
>

> Content
> -------
> What was done:
>        http://www.opensips.org/Main/Ver190#toc2
> What is planned:
>        http://www.opensips.org/Main/Ver190#toc9
> Planned items have priorities (for being addressed); it is a must to have all items done for the next release, as we need to fit into a time frame. Whatever is not done, will be left for the next release (1.10)
>

> Planing
> -------
> Release candidate:
>    second half of January 2012, depending on the progress with the items to be done.
> Testing phase:
>    1 month allocated (it may be extended if critical problems show up)
> Stable release:
>    second half of February (after the testing phase is done).
>

> Once again, your feedback on these matters is important to us.

I'll edit the wiki with the items we've been working on for presence.

Can you give a bit more detail on the dialog ping with re-INVITEs? re-INVITEs are particularly troublesome, because there can only be one of them at a time.

Also, can we add the in-dialog requests when using GRUU bug to the wishlist? :-)

Keep up the good work guys!

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects

On Oct 26, 2012, at 5:46 PM, Duane Larson wrote:

> Is there any roadmap for "SIP over Websocket"?  I know there is now OverSIP but wasn't sure if OpenSIPS had any plans to implement a module.  Just asking since WebRTC is still evolving.

I personally don't see the need to do it in the 1.x series. You can use OverSIP to do protocol translation to TCP/TLS and send the call to OpenSIPS. Now, IIRC there was some problem in parsing the Via headers, because they now have a different transport parameter (ws and wss), but I think someone posted a patch already.

--
Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RELEASES] Planing OpenSIPS 1.9.0 major release

osiris123d
Good point.

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Oct 26, 2012, at 5:46 PM, Duane Larson wrote:

> Is there any roadmap for "SIP over Websocket"?  I know there is now OverSIP but wasn't sure if OpenSIPS had any plans to implement a module.  Just asking since WebRTC is still evolving.

I personally don't see the need to do it in the 1.x series. You can use OverSIP to do protocol translation to TCP/TLS and send the call to OpenSIPS. Now, IIRC there was some problem in parsing the Via headers, because they now have a different transport parameter (ws and wss), but I think someone posted a patch already.

--
Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RELEASES] Planing OpenSIPS 1.9.0 major release

Brett Nemeroff
Bogdan,
Very excited to see NOSQL support. I know we discussed this before, but is there any possibility of native acc support for any NOSQL backend?

Thanks!
-Brett

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: [RELEASES] Planing OpenSIPS 1.9.0 major release

Ryan Bullock
The re-Invite pinging sounds great, so long as it is separate dlg flag from the OPTIONs ping. I know from experience that certain systems (Asterisk) will sometimes incorrectly respond with a 200 OK to in-Dialog OPTIONS when the call is actually gone. On the other hand, some equipment can't handle re-Invites either.

A few things that I have noted, and that would be nice to see in a future release:

1. Better failure handling for cachedb_*. We use memcached and have lost a cache node before. Opensips will just continually timeout trying to read from the failed node. The only way to get it to stop was to edit the configuration to remove the dead node then restart opensips. Would be nice if this behaved similar to db_virtual or rtpproxy in detecting timeouts and retrying so often, as well as some mi commands to disable a cache temporarily.

2. Opensips should be able to start even if db_virtual was not able to connect to all databases. So long as it can connect to at least 1 it should still work. We have had to move away from using db_vritual because of this problem.

3. Insert buffering support for db_virtual. Currently these two things don't work together, which can make it a bit difficult to scale out database writes.

On another note, I submitted a patch for direct futex support under linux for locking. It has shown good promise in my testing and I am wondering if there is any interest in trying to get it included for 1.9?

Regards,

Ryan

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Brett,

Indeed that's something interesting...and how to pack all fields into a single value? Json ? Also the key name should be time based....i guess we need to dynamically generate them.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Brett Nemeroff <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ali Pey
I do also see a lot of value in sip over websocket. WebRTC is pretty much here and it makes much more sense to be able to support it on one proxy server rather than having to use OverSIP and then OpenSIPS. WebRTC seems to be very popular and the thing of tomorrow and it will be very important for a sip proxy server to support it.

Regards,
Ali Pey

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Oct 26, 2012, at 5:46 PM, Duane Larson wrote:

> Is there any roadmap for "SIP over Websocket"?  I know there is now OverSIP but wasn't sure if OpenSIPS had any plans to implement a module.  Just asking since WebRTC is still evolving.

I personally don't see the need to do it in the 1.x series. You can use OverSIP to do protocol translation to TCP/TLS and send the call to OpenSIPS. Now, IIRC there was some problem in parsing the Via headers, because they now have a different transport parameter (ws and wss), but I think someone posted a patch already.

--
Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RELEASES] Planing OpenSIPS 1.9.0 major release

Nick Altmann
Maybe Jan 2013?

I'd like to see in this release more complex support of cachedb.
First is cachedb support for usrloc. I think it's good idea to save locations in cachedb, but not in sql database.

--
Nick

2012/10/26 Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]>
[...]

SamyGo
+1for new module to drive SANGOMA cards in for transcoding (similar to driving the rtpproxy or mediaproxy)

Regards,
Sammy

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 4:41 AM, Ali Pey <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do also see a lot of value in sip over websocket. WebRTC is pretty much here and it makes much more sense to be able to support it on one proxy server rather than having to use OverSIP and then OpenSIPS. WebRTC seems to be very popular and the thing of tomorrow and it will be very important for a sip proxy server to support it.

Regards,
Ali Pey

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Oct 26, 2012, at 5:46 PM, Duane Larson wrote:

> Is there any roadmap for "SIP over Websocket"?  I know there is now OverSIP but wasn't sure if OpenSIPS had any plans to implement a module.  Just asking since WebRTC is still evolving.

I personally don't see the need to do it in the 1.x series. You can use OverSIP to do protocol translation to TCP/TLS and send the call to OpenSIPS. Now, IIRC there was some problem in parsing the Via headers, because they now have a different transport parameter (ws and wss), but I think someone posted a patch already.

--
Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RELEASES] Planing OpenSIPS 1.9.0 major release

Brett Nemeroff
Bogdan,
For both it would make sense to use JSON I think. Moreso for couchbase which understands JSON natively.

For the key, just setting it as a TimeUUID I think would make a lot of sense.

-Brett

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Ovidiu,

It could be - first we need to evaluate how large the code will be (or
not) - but at the end it's not so relevant where it will end :)

On 10/26/2012 06:34 PM, Ovidiu Sas wrote:

> Locks for config could be integrated in cfgutils (instead of creating
> a new module).
>
> -ovidiu
>
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to start a discussion about the next OpenSIPS major release -
>> and in this discussion anyone is welcomed with options, ideas, critics and
>> other. Your feedback is important to drive the project into a direction that
>> reflects the user's needs!.
>>
>> So, I will here the starting points, for both release planing and release
>> content.
>>

>> Content
>> -------
>> What was done:
>>          http://www.opensips.org/Main/Ver190#toc2
>> What is planned:
>>          http://www.opensips.org/Main/Ver190#toc9
>> Planned items have priorities (for being addressed); it is a must to have
>> all items done for the next release, as we need to fit into a time frame.
>> Whatever is not done, will be left for the next release (1.10)
>>

>> Planing
>> -------
>> Release candidate:
>>      second half of January 2012, depending on the progress with the items to
>> be done.
>> Testing phase:
>>      1 month allocated (it may be extended if critical problems show up)
>> Stable release:
>>      second half of February (after the testing phase is done).
>>

>> Once again, your feedback on these matters is important to us.
>>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> --
>> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
>> OpenSIPS Founder and Developer
>> http://www.opensips-solutions.com

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RELEASES] Planing OpenSIPS 1.9.0 major release

Hi Saul,

We were thinking at re-INVITE pinging from OpenSIPs level towards the
caller and callee. There will be 2 modes (at least this is the current
plan).
     1) remember all the time the last SDPs from each side and re-use
them when pining the other sides (just to trick the SDP negotiation)
     2) start with a lateSDP negotiation on one side and do normal SDP
on the other side (to avoid SDP storing), but this means at least one of
the parties should support late SDP negotiations
     3) open to other suggestions....

About the GRUU stuff, could you detail a bit :D ?

On 10/26/2012 06:51 PM, Saúl Ibarra Corretgé wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Oct 26, 2012, at 5:20 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to start a discussion about the next OpenSIPS major release - and in this discussion anyone is welcomed with options, ideas, critics and other. Your feedback is important to drive the project into a direction that reflects the user's needs!.
>>
>> So, I will here the starting points, for both release planing and release content.
>>

>> Content
>> -------
>> What was done:
>>         http://www.opensips.org/Main/Ver190#toc2
>> What is planned:
>>         http://www.opensips.org/Main/Ver190#toc9
>> Planned items have priorities (for being addressed); it is a must to have all items done for the next release, as we need to fit into a time frame. Whatever is not done, will be left for the next release (1.10)
>>

>> Planing
>> -------
>> Release candidate:
>>     second half of January 2012, depending on the progress with the items to be done.
>> Testing phase:
>>     1 month allocated (it may be extended if critical problems show up)
>> Stable release:
>>     second half of February (after the testing phase is done).
>>

>> Once again, your feedback on these matters is important to us.
>>
> I'll edit the wiki with the items we've been working on for presence.
>
> Can you give a bit more detail on the dialog ping with re-INVITEs? re-INVITEs are particularly troublesome, because there can only be one of them at a time.
>
> Also, can we add the in-dialog requests when using GRUU bug to the wishlist? :-)
>
> Keep up the good work guys!

> Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
> AG Projects

Re: [RELEASES] Planing OpenSIPS 1.9.0 major release

Hi Ryan,

Indeed, several SIP stacks do not properly implement in-dialog OPTIONS - this is why we want to add re-INVITE as this is widely supported.

1) we can add that on the wish list, let's see what time will allow to do.

2) interesting idea...We need to check on connecting on the fly - add it to the list.

3) why is it not working ? could you detail the issues you have there ?

Regarding the FUTEX patch  - it definitely looks really interesting - we will do a review and upload it on SVN.

Thanks and Regards,

On 10/26/2012 09:01 PM, Ryan Bullock wrote:
[...]

Hi Ali,

I have to admit I'm not really familiar with the WebRTC and what are the requirements for this to work directly over OpenSIPS - there is pending patch for compatibility with WebRTC (parsing and detecting more VIA params, specific to WebRTC), but we will need to have a clear view on what needs to be done for a complete integration - and at that point to say if makes sense to do it or not.

On 10/27/2012 02:41 AM, Ali Pey wrote:
I do also see a lot of value in sip over websocket. WebRTC is pretty much here and it makes much more sense to be able to support it on one proxy server rather than having to use OverSIP and then OpenSIPS. WebRTC seems to be very popular and the thing of tomorrow and it will be very important for a sip proxy server to support it.

Regards,
Ali Pey

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Oct 26, 2012, at 5:46 PM, Duane Larson wrote:

> Is there any roadmap for "SIP over Websocket"?  I know there is now OverSIP but wasn't sure if OpenSIPS had any plans to implement a module.  Just asking since WebRTC is still evolving.

I personally don't see the need to do it in the 1.x series. You can use OverSIP to do protocol translation to TCP/TLS and send the call to OpenSIPS. Now, IIRC there was some problem in parsing the Via headers, because they now have a different transport parameter (ws and wss), but I think someone posted a patch already.

--
Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RELEASES] Planing OpenSIPS 1.9.0 major release

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
Hi Bogdan,

On Oct 29, 2012, at 11:26 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:

> Hi Ali,
>
> I have to admit I'm not really familiar with the WebRTC and what are the requirements for this to work directly over OpenSIPS - there is pending patch for compatibility with WebRTC (parsing and detecting more VIA params, specific to WebRTC), but we will need to have a clear view on what needs to be done for a complete integration - and at that point to say if makes sense to do it or not.

In a nutshell:

WebRTC is a combined effort between IETF and W3C to bring realtime communications to web browsers. WebRTC only specifies the media plane, so signaling is up to applications. Here is the draft specifying the WebSocket transport for SIP: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-websocket-05 which allows applications written in JavaScript and running in web browsers to connect to existing SIP infrastructure.

Since OpenSIPS is a SIP proxy and thus is not concerned by the media plane, supporting the WebSocket transport is what would be required for it to enter the "WebRTC game". That said, IMHIO, makes little to no sense to do it until TCP works properly, given that WebSocket is a transport protocol on top of TCP.

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RELEASES] Planing OpenSIPS 1.9.0 major release

Adrian Georgescu
Hi Brett,

I have also done some research on NoSQL backends and I discovered that MongoDB is a much better suited candidate for storing accounting records  an SIP traces than key/value store databases.

Adrian