[RFC] What repo to use for 2.0 ?

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi everyone,

As we are getting closed to first working code for OpenSIPS 2.0 (a proto
core including config, transport, threading, reactor and dispatcher), we
will upload the code the public SF repo.

I would like to get some feedback from you about what repo type to use -
as we have the opportunity to start a fresh new piece of code, we have
the option to use a different repo than SVN.

SF offers the following options
    - SVN
    - git
    - mercurial
    - bazaar

Should we keep SVN ? pros ? minuses ? something much better ?

PS: should we create a poll on the project web site ?

www.voice-system.ro

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RFC] What repo to use for 2.0 ?

Norman Brandinger
I have found that the speed of mercurial seems to be an issue with
larger sized project.

For example, try downloading adium: hg clone http://hg.adium.im/adium

My vote is for git.

Regards,
Norm

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> As we are getting closed to first working code for OpenSIPS 2.0 (a proto
> core including config, transport, threading, reactor and dispatcher), we
> will upload the code the public SF repo.
>
> I would like to get some feedback from you about what repo type to use -
> as we have the opportunity to start a fresh new piece of code, we have
> the option to use a different repo than SVN.
>
> SF offers the following options
>     - SVN
>     - git
>     - mercurial
>     - bazaar
>
> Should we keep SVN ? pros ? minuses ? something much better ?
>

> Regards,
> Bogdan
>
> PS: should we create a poll on the project web site ?

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RFC] What repo to use for 2.0 ?

Fabián Sellés Rosa
You can offer both GIT and SVN with git-svn [1]. I think that git it's
very more powerful and comfortable to use than subversion.

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RFC] What repo to use for 2.0 ?

Brett Nemeroff
Bogdan,
I personally really like SVN. It's widely accepted and well documented. I'm sure that some newer code repo systems offer some really nice features, but I'm curious what percent of the community has used newer repo types and would be comfortable using them to their full potential (properly!).

I'm speaking, of course, as a user and not a developer.

Thanks for your consideration. :)

-Brett

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

As we are getting closed to first working code for OpenSIPS 2.0 (a proto
core including config, transport, threading, reactor and dispatcher), we
will upload the code the public SF repo.

I would like to get some feedback from you about what repo type to use -
as we have the opportunity to start a fresh new piece of code, we have
the option to use a different repo than SVN.

SF offers the following options
   - SVN
   - git
   - mercurial
   - bazaar

Should we keep SVN ? pros ? minuses ? something much better ?

PS: should we create a poll on the project web site ?

www.voice-system.ro

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RFC] What repo to use for 2.0 ?

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Brett,

if you look here http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html, GIT and SVN (at least
from user perspective) are very similar (as concepts and commands too).

I would go for GIT (even if never used it so far), mainly because it is
distributed - sometime SF is slow (when using from europe) and sometimes
you want to keep private custom copies, but sync with the public version
- of course, this is for developers :)

Brett Nemeroff wrote:

> Bogdan,
> I personally really like SVN. It's widely accepted and well
> documented. I'm sure that some newer code repo systems offer some
> really nice features, but I'm curious what percent of the community
> has used newer repo types and would be comfortable using them to their
> full potential (properly!).
>
> I'm speaking, of course, as a user and not a developer.
>
> Thanks for your consideration. :)
>
> -Brett
>

> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
>
>     Hi everyone,
>
>     As we are getting closed to first working code for OpenSIPS 2.0 (a
>     proto
>     core including config, transport, threading, reactor and
>     dispatcher), we
>     will upload the code the public SF repo.
>
>     I would like to get some feedback from you about what repo type to
>     use -
>     as we have the opportunity to start a fresh new piece of code, we have
>     the option to use a different repo than SVN.
>
>     SF offers the following options
>        - SVN
>        - git
>        - mercurial
>        - bazaar
>
>     Should we keep SVN ? pros ? minuses ? something much better ?
>

>     Regards,
>     Bogdan
>
>     PS: should we create a poll on the project web site ?
>
>     --
>     Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
>     www.voice-system.ro <http://www.voice-system.ro>

www.voice-system.ro

Re: [OpenSIPS-Users] [RFC] What repo to use for 2.0 ?

Hi Fabian,

That is interesting - thanks for the hint ;)