Re: losing subsequent requests - loose routing question?

Re: losing subsequent requests - loose routing question?

Brett Nemeroff
Ok, I'm really confused..

My carrier, who is running some variant of OpenSER says that I have to
change the value of my "Contact:" header to indicate the IP of my own
server. Otherwise subsequent requests within the dialog (ie: BYE) will
not go via me.

Well I thought this was the purpose of record-route? no? I am record
routing the INVITE that establishes the dialog. Isn't that good
enough?

I was under the impression that messing with the contact header will
break all sorts of dialog matching. Any ideas out there?
-Brett

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Brett Nemeroff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Question...
> In general the receipient of an INVITE should respond to that invite to the
> address in the contact header, right?
> What if there is a record-route header? That should prevail, right?
> I'm having a problem that with a single provider, some (not all) calls they
> don't send the BYE from the FAR side of the call back via me, instead it
> goes direct to the originator.
> Example:
> My customer places a call to me. I send to my provider. Provider sends it to
> destination.
> Destination hangs up, BYE goes to my customer instead of me.. My INVITE to
> my provider DOES have a record-route header init.
> Originally, this problem began because my customer would reinvite the call
> right after the call was established and the re-invite, because it was
> in-dialog wouldn't get record routed.
> So I moved my record-route block to before my loose route block.  Now,
> sometimes I get byes.. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.. any ideas?
> -Brett

Re: losing subsequent requests - loose routing question?

Iñaki Baz Castillo
2009/3/4 Brett Nemeroff <[hidden email]>:
> Ok, I'm really confused..
>
> My carrier, who is running some variant of OpenSER says that I have to
> change the value of my "Contact:" header to indicate the IP of my own
> server. Otherwise subsequent requests within the dialog (ie: BYE) will
> not go via me.

This is the typicall reply coming from the ignorance. Don't trust him at all.

> Well I thought this was the purpose of record-route? no? I am record
> routing the INVITE that establishes the dialog. Isn't that good
> enough?

SURE

> I was under the impression that messing with the contact header will
> break all sorts of dialog matching. Any ideas out there?

A proxy SHOULD NOT change the Contact. Well, this is false since in
case the request comes from NAT (with no STUN and so) the Contact will
be a private address, so it won't be reachable for sending in-dialog
requests. Then, the proxy replaces the private Contact address with
the real reecived public address, but this is not the proxy address of
course.

Your carrier has no idea of how SIP works.

<[hidden email]>