SMS using opensips

jay1017
Hi All,
I am trying to implement the SMS feature for my SIP clients, outgoing as well as incoming. I am planning to use Kannel SMS gateway to interface with the gsm networks.
After googling a little on this topic i found a few approaches for sending out SMSs, like the following:
Sending SMS from the SIP Client:
1) Inserting the messages into a database and let Kannel periodically check and send it out.
2) Use PHP-SIP package. Send a SIP Message from Opensips to the webserver address and web-server sends an http request to the Kannel server to take it ahead.

Receiving SMS on SIP-Client
1) Kannel sending an http request to the web-server supporting PHP-SIP and web server sending a message using the XMLRPC method, then opensips can use t_uac_slg to send the message to the SIP endpoint.

Please do let me know if the above approaches are doable or if anyone else have got a better idea to implement SMS over SIP.
Thanks a lot in advance.

--- Jayesh

Re: SMS using opensips

DanB-2
Hi Jayesh,

Another recipe would be using external application server for
gateway-ing between SIP and other protocols SMS providers are using
(eg: HTTP or SMPP) and have opensips as authenticator, registration
and load balancer. Offline messages can be handled also on OpenSIPS
side using msilo module.
I personally have used Twisted and Divmod/Sine. In this way you get
two way SMS without involving any database to keep up with speed and
be able to failover between providers.

DanB

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 6:38 AM, Jayesh Nambiar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am trying to implement the SMS feature for my SIP clients, outgoing as
> well as incoming. I am planning to use Kannel SMS gateway to interface with
> the gsm networks.
> After googling a little on this topic i found a few approaches for sending
> out SMSs, like the following:
> Sending SMS from the SIP Client:
> 1) Inserting the messages into a database and let Kannel periodically check
> and send it out.
> 2) Use PHP-SIP package. Send a SIP Message from Opensips to the webserver
> address and web-server sends an http request to the Kannel server to take it
> ahead.
> Receiving SMS on SIP-Client
> 1) Kannel sending an http request to the web-server supporting PHP-SIP and
> web server sending a message using the XMLRPC method, then opensips can use
> t_uac_slg to send the message to the SIP endpoint.
> Please do let me know if the above approaches are doable or if anyone else
> have got a better idea to implement SMS over SIP.
> Thanks a lot in advance.
> --- Jayesh

Re: SMS using opensips

jay1017
Thank you very much Dan.
I will check on the possibilities and update.

--- Jayesh

Hi Jayesh,

Another recipe would be using external application server for
gateway-ing between SIP and other protocols SMS providers are using
(eg: HTTP or SMPP) and have opensips as authenticator, registration
and load balancer. Offline messages can be handled also on OpenSIPS
side using msilo module.
I personally have used Twisted and Divmod/Sine. In this way you get
two way SMS without involving any database to keep up with speed and
be able to failover between providers.

DanB

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 6:38 AM, Jayesh Nambiar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am trying to implement the SMS feature for my SIP clients, outgoing as
> well as incoming. I am planning to use Kannel SMS gateway to interface with
> the gsm networks.
> After googling a little on this topic i found a few approaches for sending
> out SMSs, like the following:
> Sending SMS from the SIP Client:
> 1) Inserting the messages into a database and let Kannel periodically check
> and send it out.
> 2) Use PHP-SIP package. Send a SIP Message from Opensips to the webserver
> address and web-server sends an http request to the Kannel server to take it
> ahead.
> Receiving SMS on SIP-Client
> 1) Kannel sending an http request to the web-server supporting PHP-SIP and
> web server sending a message using the XMLRPC method, then opensips can use
> t_uac_slg to send the message to the SIP endpoint.
> Please do let me know if the above approaches are doable or if anyone else
> have got a better idea to implement SMS over SIP.
> Thanks a lot in advance.
> --- Jayesh

Re: SMS using opensips

jay1017
Hi Dan,
I tried using PHP-SIP package and was successful in sending and receiving SMS between SIP Endpoints and Kannel. While sending the MESSAGE from Opensips to PHP-Sip I am facing some glitches but I think I'll be able to figure it out.
One question: While googling, I found a module called xHttp in kamailio which can actually act as Web-Server generating http response directly. Is there something similar available in Opensips or is there something similar in the roadmap?? This can actually elminate one element from my setup which is the php-sip package !!

Thanks in advance !!!

--- Jayesh