Sending INFO from MI

Alex Massover

Hi,

I need to pass events generated by the external application during the call. I'm thinking about to implement this with INFO.

The idea is to add sending INFO functionality to the dialog module. In analogy with 'dlg_end_dlg' MI function exported by dialog module, I want to add 'dlg_send_info' function. That will receive 2 parameters:

a)      Direction (caller, callee, both) – to what side to send INFO

b)      Headers to add to INFO

and eventually generate INFO request.

What I'm trying to understand is how complex is to add such functionality. Is the dialog module ready for such extension (I'll look at how 'dlg_end_dlg' is implemented and do similar) or it will require more advanced understanding and major changes to the module design?

--

Best Regards,

Alex Massover

Telephony Group Manager

R&D Department

Jajah Inc.

This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.

Re: Sending INFO from MI

Alex Massover

What I need to do is:

a)      Export MI function (let's leave it aside for now, not supposed to complex)

b)      Create dlg_send_info function based on dlg_end_dlg , something like:

293         int dlg_send_info(struct dlg_cell *dlg, str *extra_hdrs, int direction)

294         {

295         str str_hdr = {NULL,0};

296         int i,res = 0;

297         int callee;

298

299         if ((build_extra_hdr(dlg, extra_hdrs, &str_hdr)) != 0){

300         LM_ERR("failed to create extra headers\n");

301         return -1;

302         }

303

304         callee = callee_idx(dlg);

// implement 'direction' switch here

305         if ( send_leg_info( dlg, DLG_CALLER_LEG, callee, &str_hdr)!=0) {

306         res--;

307         }

308          if (send_leg_info( dlg, callee, DLG_CALLER_LEG, &str_hdr)!=0 ) {

309         res--;

310         }

// end of 'direction' switch

314

315         pkg_free(str_hdr.s);

316         return res;

317         }

c)       Create send_leg_info based on send_leg_buy, with following changes:

a.       Change

 str met = {"BYE", 3};

str met = {"INFO", 3};  // what is 3 btw?

b.      Remove callback:

267          bye_reply_cb, /* callback function*/

267          NULL, /* callback function*/

c.       Some minor fixes

And it supposed to work. Am I right or I totally miss something?

[...]

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.

Re: Sending INFO from MI

Alex Massover

Little correction:

 str met = {"BYE", 3};

need to change it to

str met = {"INFO", 4};

Re: Sending INFO from MI

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé

On 09/15/2010 11:17 AM, Alex Massover wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to pass events generated by the external application during the
> call. I'm thinking about to implement this with INFO.
>
> The idea is to add sending INFO functionality to the dialog module. In
> analogy with 'dlg_end_dlg' MI function exported by dialog module, I want
> to add 'dlg_send_info' function. That will receive 2 parameters:

I can't comment on technical details of your approach, as I'm not
familiar with the dialog module internals, however, what about making
this a bit more generic and allowing any request to be sent? Of course
INVITE and SUBSCRIBE wouldn't be allowed, but someone might want to send
an in-dialog OPTIONS or some other invented request such as FOO. You
could then call it dlg_send_request.

The ability to send some payload with that request might also desirable
for someone.

Just my 2 cents :-)

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects

Re: Sending INFO from MI

Alex Massover
Hi,

Yes, sounds to me as good idea, the function can receive 3 parameters: method, direction and extra headers. In the future maybe even 4 - request body.
But it will be up to user to understand what in-dialog requests he can send without breaking SIP.

On 09/15/2010 11:17 AM, Alex Massover wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to pass events generated by the external application during the
> call. I'm thinking about to implement this with INFO.
>
> The idea is to add sending INFO functionality to the dialog module. In
> analogy with 'dlg_end_dlg' MI function exported by dialog module, I want
> to add 'dlg_send_info' function. That will receive 2 parameters:

I can't comment on technical details of your approach, as I'm not
familiar with the dialog module internals, however, what about making
this a bit more generic and allowing any request to be sent? Of course
INVITE and SUBSCRIBE wouldn't be allowed, but someone might want to send
an in-dialog OPTIONS or some other invented request such as FOO. You
could then call it dlg_send_request.

The ability to send some payload with that request might also desirable
for someone.

Just my 2 cents :-)

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.

Re: Sending INFO from MI

Ovidiu Sas
You need to keep in mind that if you generate an in dialog request you
must increase the Cseq number.
If you do that, then all subsequent in-dialog request must have their
CSeq number increased.
When you receive the BYE, you will need to increase the CSeq of the
BYE that is sent in the same direction that your previous injected
request was.

Regards,
Ovidiu Sas

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Alex Massover <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, sounds to me as good idea, the function can receive 3 parameters: method, direction and extra headers. In the future maybe even 4 - request body.
> But it will be up to user to understand what in-dialog requests he can send without breaking SIP.

Hi Alex,

As Ovidiu pointed out, this is not an easy one - if you generate a
in-dialog request from the proxy, you will de-sync the cseq numbers
between the 2 end-parties....So any change from the mid-proxy will imply
the proxy to "fix" all the following cseq numbers in the following
in-dialog requests (from the end parties).

With the BYE this is not a problem as after BYE there is not other

Alex Massover wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to pass events generated by the external application during the
> call. I'm thinking about to implement this with INFO.
>
> The idea is to add sending INFO functionality to the dialog module. In
> analogy with 'dlg_end_dlg' MI function exported by dialog module, I
> want to add 'dlg_send_info' function. That will receive 2 parameters:
>
> a) Direction (caller, callee, both) – to what side to send INFO
>
> b) Headers to add to INFO
>
> and eventually generate INFO request.
>
> What I'm trying to understand is how complex is to add such
> functionality. Is the dialog module ready for such extension (I'll
> look at how 'dlg_end_dlg' is implemented and do similar) or it will
> require more advanced understanding and major changes to the module
> design?
>
> --
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Alex Massover
>
> Telephony Group Manager
>
> R&D Department
>
> Jajah Inc.
>

> This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.

OpenSIPS Bootcamp
20 - 24 September 2010, Frankfurt, Germany
www.voice-system.ro

Re: Sending INFO from MI

Alex Massover
Hi,

Yes, that is a complication.

As far as I understand dialog module is able to handle CSeqs for both direction. The dirty workaround can be 'fix_dlg_seq()' function exported by dialog and to be called before forwarding request (maybe some flag can be turned on).

For example, after loose_route():
if (is_dlg_flag_set("16")) { // indicating that unidirectional request was locally generated, breaking cseq
        fix_dlg_cseq();
}

Or a better solution is making TM aware of dialog and it can check cseqs automatically for every transaction.

Alex Massover wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to pass events generated by the external application during the
> call. I'm thinking about to implement this with INFO.
>
> The idea is to add sending INFO functionality to the dialog module. In
> analogy with 'dlg_end_dlg' MI function exported by dialog module, I
> want to add 'dlg_send_info' function. That will receive 2 parameters:
>
> a) Direction (caller, callee, both) – to what side to send INFO
>
> b) Headers to add to INFO
>
> and eventually generate INFO request.
>
> What I'm trying to understand is how complex is to add such
> functionality. Is the dialog module ready for such extension (I'll
> look at how 'dlg_end_dlg' is implemented and do similar) or it will
> require more advanced understanding and major changes to the module
> design?
>
> --
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Alex Massover
>
> Telephony Group Manager
>
> R&D Department
>
> Jajah Inc.
>

> This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.

OpenSIPS Bootcamp
20 - 24 September 2010, Frankfurt, Germany
www.voice-system.ro

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.

Re: Sending INFO from MI

Kennard White

I think even "BYE" can be a problem, because it can fail (non 2xx), and then the next BYE has a bumped CSeq. Most common example is authentication. The first BYE will fail due to stale credentials, and then the next one must have larger CSeq.

Kennard

Inactive hide details for Bogdan-Andrei Iancu ---09/15/2010 05:37:12 AM---Hi Alex, As Ovidiu pointed out, this is not an easy oBogdan-Andrei Iancu ---09/15/2010 05:37:12 AM---Hi Alex, As Ovidiu pointed out, this is not an easy one - if you generate a

From: Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]>
To: OpenSIPS devel mailling list <[hidden email]>
Date: 09/15/2010 05:37 AM
Sent by: [hidden email]

Alex Massover wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to pass events generated by the external application during the
> call. I'm thinking about to implement this with INFO.
>
> The idea is to add sending INFO functionality to the dialog module. In
> analogy with 'dlg_end_dlg' MI function exported by dialog module, I
> want to add 'dlg_send_info' function. That will receive 2 parameters:
>
> a) Direction (caller, callee, both) – to what side to send INFO
>
> b) Headers to add to INFO
>
> and eventually generate INFO request.
>
> What I'm trying to understand is how complex is to add such
> functionality. Is the dialog module ready for such extension (I'll
> look at how 'dlg_end_dlg' is implemented and do similar) or it will
> require more advanced understanding and major changes to the module
> design?
>
> --
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Alex Massover
>
> Telephony Group Manager
>
> R&D Department
>
> Jajah Inc.
>

> This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.

OpenSIPS Bootcamp
20 - 24 September 2010, Frankfurt, Germany
www.voice-system.ro

Re: Sending INFO from MI

Alex Massover

We're on the way to implement the feature. The idea is to have one more counter that will be incremented each time in-dialog request is initiated and proxy needs to fix all following requests considering this counter's value.

It will work in following way:

a) dlg_send_info will send INFO request just like dlg_end_dlg sends BYE
b) in dlg_cell struct there will be counter lcseq (at dialog level not per leg). This counter will be initiated with 0 by dlg_create_dialog().
c) each time dlg_send_info is called it will increment lcseq counter
d) each time dlg_send_info is called it will increment callee_cseq and caller_cseq (in dlg struct)
e) each time dlg_onroute is called (triggered by loose_route()) it will update callee_cseq and caller_cseq not by request's cseq but by reqquest's cseq + lcseq
f) each time loose_route() called and lcseq > 0, request's cseq should be fixed (by adding lcseq to it)

This way I believe the cseq problem can be fixed.

a, b, c, e are already done.

I'm missing d and f.

What do you think? And I need a tip please how to implement f. Can it be done from dialog module or I should play with TM as well?

Alex Massover wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to pass events generated by the external application during the
> call. I'm thinking about to implement this with INFO.
>
> The idea is to add sending INFO functionality to the dialog module. In
> analogy with 'dlg_end_dlg' MI function exported by dialog module, I
> want to add 'dlg_send_info' function. That will receive 2 parameters:
>
> a) Direction (caller, callee, both) – to what side to send INFO
>
> b) Headers to add to INFO
>
> and eventually generate INFO request.
>
> What I'm trying to understand is how complex is to add such
> functionality. Is the dialog module ready for such extension (I'll
> look at how 'dlg_end_dlg' is implemented and do similar) or it will
> require more advanced understanding and major changes to the module
> design?
>
> --
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Alex Massover
>
> Telephony Group Manager
>
> R&D Department
>
> Jajah Inc.
>

> This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.

OpenSIPS Bootcamp
20 - 24 September 2010, Frankfurt, Germany
www.voice-system.ro

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.

Re: Sending INFO from MI

Hi Kennard,

That is true - but I'm not sure how ideal (or real) this case is - most
of the phones do not support auth for sequential requests
.....Nevertheless, strictly referring at RFC, you are right.

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think even "BYE" can be a problem, because it can fail (non 2xx),
> and then the next BYE has a bumped CSeq. Most common example is
> authentication. The first BYE will fail due to stale credentials, and
> then the next one must have larger CSeq.
>
> Kennard
>
> Inactive hide details for Bogdan-Andrei Iancu ---09/15/2010 05:37:12
> AM---Hi Alex, As Ovidiu pointed out, this is not an easy
> oBogdan-Andrei Iancu ---09/15/2010 05:37:12 AM---Hi Alex, As Ovidiu
> pointed out, this is not an easy one - if you generate a
>
> From: Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]>
> To: OpenSIPS devel mailling list <[hidden email]>
> Date: 09/15/2010 05:37 AM
> Subject: Re: [OpenSIPS-Devel] Sending INFO from MI
> Sent by: [hidden email]

> Hi Alex,
>
> As Ovidiu pointed out, this is not an easy one - if you generate a
> in-dialog request from the proxy, you will de-sync the cseq numbers
> between the 2 end-parties....So any change from the mid-proxy will imply
> the proxy to "fix" all the following cseq numbers in the following
> in-dialog requests (from the end parties).
>
> With the BYE this is not a problem as after BYE there is not other
> "following in-dialog requests" ;)
>
> Regards,
> Bogdan
>
> Alex Massover wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to pass events generated by the external application during the
> > call. I'm thinking about to implement this with INFO.
> >
> > The idea is to add sending INFO functionality to the dialog module. In
> > analogy with 'dlg_end_dlg' MI function exported by dialog module, I
> > want to add 'dlg_send_info' function. That will receive 2 parameters:
> >
> > a) Direction (caller, callee, both) – to what side to send INFO
> >
> > b) Headers to add to INFO
> >
> > and eventually generate INFO request.
> >
> > What I'm trying to understand is how complex is to add such
> > functionality. Is the dialog module ready for such extension (I'll
> > look at how 'dlg_end_dlg' is implemented and do similar) or it will
> > require more advanced understanding and major changes to the module
> > design?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Alex Massover
> >
> > Telephony Group Manager
> >
> > R&D Department
> >
> > Jajah Inc.
> >

> > This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.

> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> OpenSIPS Bootcamp
> 20 - 24 September 2010, Frankfurt, Germany
> www.voice-system.ro

OpenSIPS Bootcamp
15 - 19 November 2010, Edison, New Jersey, USA
www.voice-system.ro