Soon you can Blink!

Adrian Georgescu
http://wiki.icanblink.com/

Blink implements RTP audio sessions (VoIP), session based Instant
Messaging (IM), file transfer and multi-party chat sessions using MSRP
protocol and its relay extension, desktop sharing using VNC protocol,
publication and subscription for rich presence information such as
availability, moods, activities and geo-location, management for the
presence rules, resource lists, RLS services documents using XCAP
protocol.

You can receive a notification when the software become available or
participate to our early adopter program by registering on the mailing
list:

Adrian

Re: Soon you can Blink!

Thomas Gelf
As I work on Linux only I asked someone to hand me over a Mac for 20
minutes, did some (really quick) tests and captures:

* first of all: compliments, really well done!
* also great to see G.722 support
* ICE announcements look correct, unfortunately I did not have enough
time to test it with another ICE-capable device / software, they are rare...
* How does it figure out it's reflective candidate if I didn't configure
a STUN server?
* Configuring a STUN server AND enabling ICE seems to cause problems, it
didn't place calls any more. I must confess that the person testing it
was sitting in another room, I was an the phone with him and sniffing at
proxy side. Therefore it could also be that he misstyped the STUN server
domain...
* SIP MESSAGE (SMS) looks good, special characters are encoded
* It has problems with special characters (example: german umlaut) if
configured as display name. Blink immediately says "...cannot encode
charaters..." in the "Add New Account" dialog
* Did not test MSRP

That's all for now, will do deeper tests as soon as it is available for
Linux ;-)

Cheers,
Thomas

--
 mail: [hidden email]
  web: http://thomas.gelf.net/

Re: Soon you can Blink!

Adrian Georgescu
> * How does it figure out it's reflective candidate if I didn't
> configure
> a STUN server?

The stun server must be in DNS of the caller domain or you can add
them manually in Account -> Advanced  -> Nat Traversal section

> * Configuring a STUN server AND enabling ICE seems to cause
> problems, it
> didn't place calls any more. I must confess that the person testing it
> was sitting in another room, I was an the phone with him and
> sniffing at
> proxy side. Therefore it could also be that he misstyped the STUN
> server
> domain...

Still it has to work when stun does not work. Any visible reason in /
var/log/system.log or Debug window ?

> * It has problems with special characters (example: german umlaut) if
> configured as display name. Blink immediately says "...cannot encode
> charaters..." in the "Add New Account" dialog

We will check this.

Adrian

Re: Soon you can Blink!

Adrian Georgescu

On Mar 10, 2010, at 2:49 PM, Thomas Gelf wrote:

> As I work on Linux only

If you get the latest SIP SIMPLE command line clients (they work on
Debian at least) they all have the ICE feature and display the outcome
of ICE negotiation when RTP stream is active.

http://sipsimpleclient.com/wiki/SipTesting#TestingGuide

sip-audio-sessions
sip-session

Regards,
Adrian

Re: Soon you can Blink!

Thomas Gelf
Adrian Georgescu schrieb:
>> * How does it figure out it's reflective candidate if I didn't
>> configure a STUN server?
>
> The stun server must be in DNS of the caller domain or you can add
> them manually in Account -> Advanced  -> Nat Traversal section

Ok, that explains it -> STUN server has been in the DNS :) But also
adding it manually to "Account -> Adv..." AND enabling ICE somehow
"blocked" Blink when trying to place a call, at least it didn't do
anything - and it didn't send packets to my SIP proxy. At least that's
what I have been told, have not been sitting in front of that MAC while
we did the tests with those different settings...

> Still it has to work when stun does not work. Any visible reason in /
> var/log/system.log or Debug window ?

No idea, sorry. And the MAC is no longer here :( I'll try it with more
calm once I get one next time!

>> * It has problems with special characters (example: german umlaut) if
>> configured as display name. Blink immediately says "...cannot encode
>> charaters..." in the "Add New Account" dialog
>
> We will check this.

Great!

--
 mail: [hidden email]
  web: http://thomas.gelf.net/

Re: Soon you can Blink!

Adrian Georgescu

On Mar 10, 2010, at 7:49 PM, Thomas Gelf wrote:

> Adrian Georgescu schrieb:
>>> * How does it figure out it's reflective candidate if I didn't
>>> configure a STUN server?
>>
>> The stun server must be in DNS of the caller domain or you can add
>> them manually in Account -> Advanced  -> Nat Traversal section
>
> Ok, that explains it -> STUN server has been in the DNS :) But also
> adding it manually to "Account -> Adv..." AND enabling ICE somehow
> "blocked" Blink when trying to place a call, at least it didn't do
> anything - and it didn't send packets to my SIP proxy.

Can you enable Debug -> Notifications next time and paste them back?

> At least that's
> what I have been told, have not been sitting in front of that MAC
> while
> we did the tests with those different settings...
>
>> Still it has to work when stun does not work. Any visible reason in /
>> var/log/system.log or Debug window ?
>
> No idea, sorry. And the MAC is no longer here :( I'll try it with more
> calm once I get one next time!

Again all you do with Blink can you can reproduce with the command
line tools from SIP SIMPLE client SDK. Any luck installing those?

You can toggle Trace Notifications in sip-session or sip-audio-session
too.

Adrian

Re: Soon you can Blink!

Thomas Gelf
Adrian Georgescu wrote:
> If you get the latest SIP SIMPLE command line clients (they work on
> Debian at least) they all have the ICE feature and display the outcome
> of ICE negotiation when RTP stream is active.

I'll give them a try, thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Thomas

--
 mail: [hidden email]
  web: http://thomas.gelf.net/

Re: Soon you can Blink!

Thomas Gelf
Adrian Georgescu wrote:
> Again all you do with Blink can you can reproduce with the command
> line tools from SIP SIMPLE client SDK. Any luck installing those?

Running Karmic Koala on my laptop. Discovering why python-xml won't run
was possible, but it sound's like this package will not have much
future. Installing python-xml from Lucid repository worked, but I don't
know whether it would work :p python-xml from lenny for example doesn't
like python >= 2.6. And so does python-sipsimple - shall I force
installation, or shall I better install Lenny to a chroot dir?

> You can toggle Trace Notifications in sip-session or sip-audio-session
> too.

I'll do so - as soon as it works ;-)

--
 mail: [hidden email]
  web: http://thomas.gelf.net/

Re: Soon you can Blink!

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
Hi,

> Running Karmic Koala on my laptop. Discovering why python-xml won't run
> was possible, but it sound's like this package will not have much
> future. Installing python-xml from Lucid repository worked, but I don't
> know whether it would work :p python-xml from lenny for example doesn't
> like python>= 2.6. And so does python-sipsimple - shall I force
> installation, or shall I better install Lenny to a chroot dir?

I see, you are having trouble with python-xcaplib, right? python-xml was
merged with the standard python package in latest Debian, so I guess
same is happening in Ubuntu. You may go ahead without that library.
Thanks for pointing it out, that dependency needs to be updated :)

I'm running python-sipsimple from Debian Squeeze with python 2.5 and
Snow Leopard with python 2.6. If you are finding trouble getting it to
work let us know so it can be fixed.

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects