Using OpenSIPS/MediaProxy infrastructure with ICE enabled - looking for feedback

Using OpenSIPS/MediaProxy infrastructure with ICE enabled - looking for feedback

Adrian Georgescu
Hello,

We have enabled the latest OpenSIPS/MediaProxy versions with support
for ICE negotiation on http://sip2sip.info

We managed to obtain with our initial testing using Blink (based on
PJSIP stack) directly connected RTP media streams between the end-
points (by using the server reflexive candidates obtained from the
STUN server) when setting the MediaProxy relay to low priority.

If someone else has ICE enabled end-points, can test and provide us
with feedback about the success rate of the ICE negotiation would be
great to fine tune the software!

The ICE functionality is described here:

http://mediaproxy-ng.org/wiki/ICE

Regards,
Adrian

Re: Using OpenSIPS/MediaProxy infrastructure with ICE enabled - looking for feedback

Thomas Gelf
As I consider ICE one of the most exciting and underestimated features
in the SIP world, I decided to dedicate ICE a whole test day within this
week. I'll set up a dedicated OpenSIPS proxy, a single MediaProxy relay
and make intensive tests using a few snom phones (370, 820, 870 - they
all shall support ICE) behind different NAT types (symmetric and others).

I'll let you know the result as soon as I have done so. In the meantime
a big hug for all your effort and for your great software!

Cheers,
Thomas

--
 mail: [hidden email]
  web: http://thomas.gelf.net/

Re: Using OpenSIPS/MediaProxy infrastructure with ICE enabled - looking for feedback

Thomas Gelf
Additional note: I did not yet start my tests, but I already made some
captures and gave a look at the SDP body generated by those snom phones
allowed to use ICE.

It seems that they are still doing ICE as proposed in
draft-rosenberg-sipping-ice - and not as in the RFC-to-be mmusic draft.

The new OpenSIPS/Mediaproxy enhancement does not have support for this
"legacy" ICE variant, does it?

Regards,
Thomas

Thomas Gelf wrote:

> As I consider ICE one of the most exciting and underestimated features
> in the SIP world, I decided to dedicate ICE a whole test day within this
> week. I'll set up a dedicated OpenSIPS proxy, a single MediaProxy relay
> and make intensive tests using a few snom phones (370, 820, 870 - they
> all shall support ICE) behind different NAT types (symmetric and others).
>
> I'll let you know the result as soon as I have done so. In the meantime
> a big hug for all your effort and for your great software!
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas
>
> Adrian Georgescu wrote:
>> If someone else has ICE enabled end-points, can test and provide us
>> with feedback about the success rate of the ICE negotiation would be
>> great to fine tune the software!

--
 mail: [hidden email]
  web: http://thomas.gelf.net/

Re: Using OpenSIPS/MediaProxy infrastructure with ICE enabled - looking for feedback

Adrian Georgescu
We support the current and latest version, the version that is going
to become an RFC (is now in the RFC editor queue).

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-19.txt

Depending on which previous version of ICE the device implement they
may work or not only real testing can show.

Adrian

Adrian Georgescu wrote:
> We support the current and latest version, the version that is going
> to become an RFC (is now in the RFC editor queue).

Thought so.

> Depending on which previous version of ICE the device implement they
> may work or not only real testing can show.

Unfortunately what they are doing looks more like the initial draft, as
written by the sipping-WG:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosenberg-sipping-ice-01

There was also some post from snom on the sipping ML while alternatives
and better strategies have been discussed. Then finally Rosenberg
announced the new draft and explained the move:

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sipping/current/msg05449.html

At this point snom probably decided to no longer go invest development
time unless ICE is getting "stable". And the following post (nearly two
years later) let's me believe that their implementation is still the one
it was at that time:

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sipping/current/msg08461.html

I reported my thoughts to snom, waiting for feedback...
In the meantime: thank you once again!

Cheers,
Thomas

--