Various newbie questions

Yehavi Bourvine
Hello,

  As I said here in the past I am trying to migrate my currently working Asterisk configuration into a mix of OpenSIPS and Asterisk. For this I have to move some functionality from Asterisk to OpenSIPS and have a few questions:

  • Presence: I have here some hole in my knowledge: If I understand correctly, OpenSIPS has a simple presence/dialog-state mechanism built-in, right? Then, why do I need an external one like OpenXCAP? Just to have connectivity with other presence packages?
  • BLF and call pickup on Polycom phones: This is the most hurting issue, and I must solve it... Most of our users are using Polycom phones, and they want a BLF key which shows the other party status, and allow direct pickup if his/her extension is ringing. The problem is that Polycom subscribes for presence and not for dialog state. Here are my related questions:
    • When OpenSIPS receives the subscribe message, is there some simple tool/function which allows me to modify it or create a new subscribe message with the relevant information?
    • With Asterisk I program the BLF keys to send something like *7xxxxx where xxxx is the destination extension. This way I can catch it at the dialplan and act according to the dialled extension state: If it is free, it just dials it; if it is ringing then a pickup function is called, an if it is busy then it works according to the busy policy (busy or voicemail). The questions:
      • How can I find the state of the destination extension?
      • How can I pickup its call?
  • voicemail and fax: My current plan is to use Asterisk as the voicemail and media server. The main drawback is the lack of fax support on Asterisk voicemail. Is there some other voicemail application that does fax termination?

That's for now...

                                      Thanks! __Yehavi:

Re: Various newbie questions

Iñaki Baz Castillo
El Domingo, 26 de Abril de 2009, Yehavi Bourvine escribió:

>    - *Presence*: I have here some hole in my knowledge: If I understand
>    correctly, OpenSIPS has a simple presence/dialog-state mechanism
> built-in, right? Then, why do I need an external one like OpenXCAP? Just to
> have connectivity with other presence packages?

Hi, obviously you haven't investigated about what XCAP means, you should do it
before. Read:
  http://openxcap.org/

>    - *BLF and call pickup on Polycom phones*: This is the most hurting
>    issue, and I must solve it... Most of our users are using Polycom
> phones, and they want a BLF key which shows the other party status, and
> allow direct pickup if his/her extension is ringing. The problem is
>    that Polycom subscribes for presence and not for dialog state. Here are
> my related questions:
>     - When OpenSIPS receives the subscribe message, is there some simple
>       tool/function which allows me to modify it or create a new
> subscribe message with the relevant information?

This doesn't make sense at all. If a phone is subscribing for "presence" it
has nothing to do with "dialog" events, nothing. Again, you should read about
what "presence" events and "dialog" events mean.

>       - With Asterisk I program the BLF keys to send something like *7xxxxx
>       where xxxx is the destination extension. This way I can catch it at
> the dialplan and act according to the dialled extension state: If it is
> free, it
>       just dials it; if it is ringing then a pickup function is
> called, an if it
>       is busy then it works according to the busy policy (busy or
> voicemail). The
>       questions:
>        - How can I find the state of the destination extension?

This is Asterisk related.

>          - How can I pickup its call?

This is Asterisk related.

>          - *voicemail and fax*: My current plan is to use Asterisk as the
>    voicemail and media server. The main drawback is the lack of fax support
> on Asterisk voicemail. Is there some other voicemail application that does
> fax termination?

Is it an OpenSIPS related question?

Please, if you have questions about Asterisk don't ask them here.

Regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>

2009/4/26 Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>

> El Domingo, 26 de Abril de 2009, Yehavi Bourvine escribió:

> >       - With Asterisk I program the BLF keys to send something like *7xxxxx
> >       where xxxx is the destination extension. This way I can catch it at
> > the dialplan and act according to the dialled extension state: If it is
> > free, it
> >       just dials it; if it is ringing then a pickup function is
> > called, an if it
> >       is busy then it works according to the busy policy (busy or
> > voicemail). The
> >       questions:
> >        - How can I find the state of the destination extension?
>
> This is Asterisk related.
>
> >          - How can I pickup its call?
>
> This is Asterisk related.

What I am asking here is how to do this with OpenSIPS. I've described how I do it with Asterisk and now I want to move this functionality into OpenSIPS.

                                   Thanks, __Yehavi:

Re: Various newbie questions

Steven C. Blair

2009/4/26 Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>

> El Domingo, 26 de Abril de 2009, Yehavi Bourvine escribió:

> >       - With Asterisk I program the BLF keys to send something like *7xxxxx
> >       where xxxx is the destination extension. This way I can catch it at
> > the dialplan and act according to the dialled extension state: If it is
> > free, it
> >       just dials it; if it is ringing then a pickup function is
> > called, an if it
> >       is busy then it works according to the busy policy (busy or
> > voicemail). The
> >       questions:
> >        - How can I find the state of the destination extension?
>
> This is Asterisk related.
>
> >          - How can I pickup its call?
>
> This is Asterisk related.

What I am asking here is how to do this with OpenSIPS. I've described how I do it with Asterisk and now I want to move this functionality into OpenSIPS.

[[scb]] WIth our OpenSIPs implementation of BLA the status indicator on the phone which answered the call turns green while the status indicator for the same number on different sets remains red for the duration of the call. A second incoming call can be picked-up on any of the remaining, idle, sets which have the same number. Is this what you are trying to accomplish?

-Steve
                                   Thanks, __Yehavi:

Re: Various newbie questions

Yehavi Bourvine
Hello Steve,

  The BLA part is working just as you described, and some users need it. The others need a BLF because:

  1. They don't want the other one's extension to ring in their place; all they want is to pick it when they hear the other phone ringing and the guy is not there.
  2. It can work with non-Polycom phones as well.
If nothing helps then I'll have to use BLA only...

                        Thanks! __Yehavi:

2009/4/26 Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>

> El Domingo, 26 de Abril de 2009, Yehavi Bourvine escribió:

> >       - With Asterisk I program the BLF keys to send something like *7xxxxx
> >       where xxxx is the destination extension. This way I can catch it at
> > the dialplan and act according to the dialled extension state: If it is
> > free, it
> >       just dials it; if it is ringing then a pickup function is
> > called, an if it
> >       is busy then it works according to the busy policy (busy or
> > voicemail). The
> >       questions:
> >        - How can I find the state of the destination extension?
>
> This is Asterisk related.
>
> >          - How can I pickup its call?
>
> This is Asterisk related.

What I am asking here is how to do this with OpenSIPS. I've described how I do it with Asterisk and now I want to move this functionality into OpenSIPS.

[[scb]] WIth our OpenSIPs implementation of BLA the status indicator on the phone which answered the call turns green while the status indicator for the same number on different sets remains red for the duration of the call. A second incoming call can be picked-up on any of the remaining, idle, sets which have the same number. Is this what you are trying to accomplish?

-Steve
                                   Thanks, __Yehavi:

Re: Various newbie questions

El Domingo, 26 de Abril de 2009, Yehavi Bourvine escribió:

> What I am asking here is how to do this with OpenSIPS. I've described how I
> do it with Asterisk and now I want to move this functionality into
> OpenSIPS.

I've tryed presence_dialoginfo and pua_dialoginfo in OpenSIPS, but it didn't
seem to me reliable. I recommend using BLF with Asterisk (OpenSIPS routes
SUBSCRIBE "Event: dialog" to Asterisk and you configure the "hints" in
Asterisk). Asterisk BLF's is really a hack (it is a really limited and sad
implementation ofRFC 4235, but it could be enough if the phone supports it).
AFAIK Linksys and Aatra implement Asterisk BLF.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>

Re: Various newbie questions

Yehavi Bourvine
Thanks. Since the number of BLF's is much smaller than the number of extensions then Asterisk can handle this load. I'll try implementing it this way.

                                   Thanks, __yehavi: