database connections

Stanisław Pitucha
Hi,
I'm trying to reduce the number of connections to the database, because
the current setup is completely killing table cache unfortunately. 20
children (6 listening ips) * 5 modules.... not nice. I was wondering if
there is any way to cut the number of connections via the virtual db
module. If I set it up, I should get only the virtual connection up
(with one DB per process) and other modules would be using it - is this
right?
Do I lose anything this way? Like prepared queries functionality, or any
other speedup?

Are there any other db connection limiting ideas I could use?

Thanks,
Stan

Re: database connections

Stanisław Pitucha
Ok - I already see that was a bad question, since it's one connection
per process, not per module, so virtual db won't save me here... Please
ignore :)

Re: database connections

Kyle Romulas
Stan,

Have you considered optimizing your DB?  We are handling thousands of calls per minute with a cluster of proxies balanced via SRV and using a centralized DB server.  We had to optimize when we discovered that under peak call periods we were exceeding the default T1 timer for responding to UAC INVITES.

If you are using MySQL, we found the following two links highly beneficial to increasing the performance of our DB.
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/mysqlperformance.htm
http://hackmysql.com/mysqlreport

We run the report weekly to maintain performance.

Cheers.

- Kyle
DoubleHorn Communications-Platform Services, LLC

On 20.03.2010 17:02, Kyle Romulas wrote:
> Have you considered optimizing your DB?  We are handling thousands of calls per minute with a cluster of proxies balanced via SRV and using a centralized DB server.  We had to optimize when we discovered that under peak call periods we were exceeding the default T1 timer for responding to UAC INVITES.
>
> If you are using MySQL, we found the following two links highly beneficial to increasing the performance of our DB.
> http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/mysqlperformance.htm
> http://hackmysql.com/mysqlreport

Sure - these are helpful in general, but I already know we're killing
the table cache especially. That's because we have 50+ db connections
that try to open many tables (so it ends up being ~40k reported open
tables - it would be crazy to allow that many open files) - so I'm
looking for a way to limit the number of connections themselves.
As far as I can see that's probably not possible with the current way
opensips does multiprocessing...