debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

12

debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Jeff Pyle
debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4 Hello,

I got the following error when trying to debuild on Debian Lenny:

/chop/
dh_installudev -pmediaproxy-relay
dh_lintian -pmediaproxy-relay
dh_install -pmediaproxy-relay
cp: cannot stat `debian/tmp/usr/bin/media-relay': No such file or directory
dh_install: command returned error code 256
make: *** [binary-install/mediaproxy-relay] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1319:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc failed

My familiarity with Debian is growing, but still rather small.  And the package creation process is very new to me.  I was following the documentation under the packaging section.  Any suggestions on what might cause?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Dan Pascu
On Tuesday 26 May 2009, Jeff Pyle wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I got the following error when trying to debuild on Debian Lenny:
>
> /chop/
> dh_installudev -pmediaproxy-relay
> dh_lintian -pmediaproxy-relay
> dh_install -pmediaproxy-relay
> cp: cannot stat `debian/tmp/usr/bin/media-relay': No such file or directory
> dh_install: command returned error code 256
> make: *** [binary-install/mediaproxy-relay] Error 1
> dpkg-buildpackage: failure: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit
> status 2
> debuild: fatal error at line 1319:
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc failed
>
> My familiarity with Debian is growing, but still rather small.  And the
> package creation process is very new to me.  I was following the
> documentation under the packaging section.  Any suggestions on what might
> cause?

You should make sure your build dependencies are satisfied. First run

apt-get build-dep mediaproxy-relay

You need to have apt's sources.conf point to our repository (at least the
source part) to be able to do that.

Otherwise make sure you have debhelper version 7 or newer.

A ls -lR in debian/ (after debuild is run) may also help figuring out where
those files were placed in the first place.

What version of debian do you use and what architecture?

--
Dan

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Jeff Pyle
Hi Dan,

It's Debian 5.0.1 on sparc architecture, a fresh installation.  Debhelper is
the at the newest version, according to apt-get.

apt-get build-dep mediaproxy-relay seems okay.  It reported "0 upgraded, 0
newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."  I ran the large apt-get
install command provided in the install document to install all the
dependencies before trying to create the package last time.

The ls -lR debian/ is attached in a text file.

- Jeff

debian-ls-lR.txt (13K) Download Attachment

On Wednesday 27 May 2009, Jeff Pyle wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> It's Debian 5.0.1 on sparc architecture, a fresh installation.  Debhelper is
> the at the newest version, according to apt-get.
>
> apt-get build-dep mediaproxy-relay seems okay.  It reported "0 upgraded, 0
> newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."  I ran the large apt-get
> install command provided in the install document to install all the
> dependencies before trying to create the package last time.
>
> The ls -lR debian/ is attached in a text file.

Please also send me the build file. It's in the same directory with the .deb
files (mediaproxy-something.build)

--
Dan

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Dan Pascu
On Wednesday 27 May 2009, Jeff Pyle wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> It's Debian 5.0.1 on sparc architecture, a fresh installation.  Debhelper is
> the at the newest version, according to apt-get.
>
> apt-get build-dep mediaproxy-relay seems okay.  It reported "0 upgraded, 0
> newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."  I ran the large apt-get
> install command provided in the install document to install all the
> dependencies before trying to create the package last time.
>
> The ls -lR debian/ is attached in a text file.

I think I know what the problem is. Can you please run these (copy/paste the
lines below in a shell) and send me the output:

python
import sys
import platform
print sys.platform, platform.system()

When done, you exit the python interpreter pressing ^D

Also I need to know if this sparc architecture supports iptables and conntrack

--
Dan

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Jeff Pyle
Hi Dan,

Output was:
  linux2-sparc Linux

Iptables and conntrack are supported; the libnetfilter-conntrack-dev package
installed properly as part of the dependency packages listed in the install
file.

The build file is attached.  Looking through it I notice a few things that
cause me to raise an eyebrow, such as the parts saying it's skipping the
relay due to a non-linux platform ... even though it's on a linux platform.

- Jeff

mediaproxy_2.3.4_sparc.build (13K) Download Attachment

On Thursday 28 May 2009, Jeff Pyle wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Output was:
>   linux2-sparc Linux
>
> Iptables and conntrack are supported; the libnetfilter-conntrack-dev package
> installed properly as part of the dependency packages listed in the install
> file.
>
> The build file is attached.  Looking through it I notice a few things that
> cause me to raise an eyebrow, such as the parts saying it's skipping the
> relay due to a non-linux platform ... even though it's on a linux platform.
The test is incomplete. Use the attached patch.

--
Dan

mediaproxy.patch (584 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Jeff Pyle
That worked.

On 5/28/09 9:19 AM, "Dan Pascu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thursday 28 May 2009, Jeff Pyle wrote:
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> Output was:
>>   linux2-sparc Linux
>>
>> Iptables and conntrack are supported; the libnetfilter-conntrack-dev package
>> installed properly as part of the dependency packages listed in the install
>> file.
>>
>> The build file is attached.  Looking through it I notice a few things that
>> cause me to raise an eyebrow, such as the parts saying it's skipping the
>> relay due to a non-linux platform ... even though it's on a linux platform.
>
> The test is incomplete. Use the attached patch.

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Jeff Pyle
Hmm, it appears I spoke too soon.  It wants python-application version
1.1.1, but only 1.0.9-4 is available for this architecture.  Is this
crucial?

- Jeff

On 5/28/09 3:51 PM, "Jeff Pyle" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That worked.
>

> On 5/28/09 9:19 AM, "Dan Pascu" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 28 May 2009, Jeff Pyle wrote:
>>> Hi Dan,
>>>
>>> Output was:
>>>   linux2-sparc Linux
>>>
>>> Iptables and conntrack are supported; the libnetfilter-conntrack-dev package
>>> installed properly as part of the dependency packages listed in the install
>>> file.
>>>
>>> The build file is attached.  Looking through it I notice a few things that
>>> cause me to raise an eyebrow, such as the parts saying it's skipping the
>>> relay due to a non-linux platform ... even though it's on a linux platform.
>>
>> The test is incomplete. Use the attached patch.

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Jeff Pyle
Dan,

With your patch Mediaproxy 2.3.2 built packages without any problems.  On an
x86 CentOS install I run 2.3.2 with the older version of python-application.
But, installing the package, I get:

Starting MediaProxy relay: media-relayCannot start MediaProxy Relay. A Linux
host is required for operation.
 already running.

What do you think the best course of action is from here?

Thanks,
Jeff

On 5/28/09 4:01 PM, "Jeff Pyle" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm, it appears I spoke too soon.  It wants python-application version
> 1.1.1, but only 1.0.9-4 is available for this architecture.  Is this
> crucial?
>

> - Jeff
>

> On 5/28/09 3:51 PM, "Jeff Pyle" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That worked.

>>> The test is incomplete. Use the attached patch.

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Dan Pascu
On Thursday 28 May 2009, Jeff Pyle wrote:
> Hmm, it appears I spoke too soon.  It wants python-application version
> 1.1.1, but only 1.0.9-4 is available for this architecture.  Is this
> crucial?

Yes. mediaproxy-2.3.4 uses some of the new stuff in 1.1.1

--
Dan

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Dan Pascu
On Thursday 28 May 2009, Jeff Pyle wrote:
> Hmm, it appears I spoke too soon.  It wants python-application version
> 1.1.1, but only 1.0.9-4 is available for this architecture.

My guess is that you mean distribution. python-application is architecture
independent so it is available with the same version on all architectures
inside a distribution, at the same time.

--
Dan

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Dan Pascu
On Thursday 28 May 2009, Jeff Pyle wrote:
> Dan,
>
> With your patch Mediaproxy 2.3.2 built packages without any problems.  On an
> x86 CentOS install I run 2.3.2 with the older version of python-application.
> But, installing the package, I get:
>
> Starting MediaProxy relay: media-relayCannot start MediaProxy Relay. A Linux
> host is required for operation.
>  already running.

Hmm. Apparently there is a similar test in the media-relay itself which I
overlooked in the previous patch. Use the attached patch as well to fix it.

> What do you think the best course of action is from here?

I would recommend to follow the installation guide for mediaproxy and add the
AG Projects debian repository to your apt's sources list. We have version
1.1.1 for python-application there and if its dependencies are satisfied with
debian 5.0, you can install it directly. Otherwise you can always take its
source (apt-get source python-application) and built it yourself like with
mediaproxy.

Then I suggest you take the mediaproxy-2.3.4 source and build it after you
apply the 2 patches I gave you. 2.3.4 has fixed some serious issues in the
previous versions, so I suggest you use that.

--
Dan

media-relay.patch (593 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Jeff Pyle
Dan,

I believe I'm beginning to wrap my mind around the coolness that is Debian
packaging.  Per your example I updated python-application from the source
repository, applied both patches to mediaproxy-2.3.4, built the packages and
installed them without any issues.  Almost like I knew what I was doing.

Thanks for your help.

- Jeff

On 5/28/09 8:59 PM, "Dan Pascu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thursday 28 May 2009, Jeff Pyle wrote:
>> Dan,
>>
>> With your patch Mediaproxy 2.3.2 built packages without any problems.  On an
>> x86 CentOS install I run 2.3.2 with the older version of python-application.
>> But, installing the package, I get:
>>
>> Starting MediaProxy relay: media-relayCannot start MediaProxy Relay. A Linux
>> host is required for operation.
>>  already running.
>
> Hmm. Apparently there is a similar test in the media-relay itself which I
> overlooked in the previous patch. Use the attached patch as well to fix it.
>
>> What do you think the best course of action is from here?
>
> I would recommend to follow the installation guide for mediaproxy and add the
> AG Projects debian repository to your apt's sources list. We have version
> 1.1.1 for python-application there and if its dependencies are satisfied with
> debian 5.0, you can install it directly. Otherwise you can always take its
> source (apt-get source python-application) and built it yourself like with
> mediaproxy.
>
> Then I suggest you take the mediaproxy-2.3.4 source and build it after you
> apply the 2 patches I gave you. 2.3.4 has fixed some serious issues in the
> previous versions, so I suggest you use that.

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Jeff Pyle
It appears I wrote too soon.

While everything did install correctly, media-relay gives the following
error:

fatal error: failed to create MediaProxy Relay: cannot import name
_conntrack
Traceback (most recent call last):
--- <exception caught here> ---
  File "/usr/bin/media-relay", line 55, in <module>
    from mediaproxy.relay import MediaRelay
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mediaproxy/relay.py", line 44, in
<module>
    from mediaproxy.mediacontrol import SessionManager
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mediaproxy/mediacontrol.py", line
22, in <module>
    from mediaproxy.interfaces.system import _conntrack
exceptions.ImportError: cannot import name _conntrack

apt-get reports "libnetfilter-conntrack-dev is already the newest version."

I did find the file:
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/mediaproxy/interfaces/system/_conntrack.so

Any thoughts?

- Jeff

On Saturday 30 May 2009, Jeff Pyle wrote:

> It appears I wrote too soon.
>
> While everything did install correctly, media-relay gives the following
> error:
>
> fatal error: failed to create MediaProxy Relay: cannot import name
> _conntrack
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> --- <exception caught here> ---
>   File "/usr/bin/media-relay", line 55, in <module>
>     from mediaproxy.relay import MediaRelay
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mediaproxy/relay.py", line 44, in
> <module>
>     from mediaproxy.mediacontrol import SessionManager
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mediaproxy/mediacontrol.py", line
> 22, in <module>
>     from mediaproxy.interfaces.system import _conntrack
> exceptions.ImportError: cannot import name _conntrack

It looks as if it's not in the path, or it has a problem while loading.

Please run and paste the results of these commands:

python -c "import sys; print sys.path"
ldd /var/lib/python-support/python2.5/mediaproxy/interfaces/system/_conntrack.so

--
Dan

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Jeff Pyle
Dan,

# python -c "import sys; print sys.path"
['', '/usr/lib/python2.5', '/usr/lib/python2.5/plat-linux2-sparc',
'/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload',
'/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages',
'/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages', '/var/lib/python-support/python2.5']

# ldd
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/mediaproxy/interfaces/system/_conntrack.so
    libnetfilter_conntrack.so.1 => /usr/lib/libnetfilter_conntrack.so.1
(0xf7ea4000)
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xf7e78000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xf7d04000)
    libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xf7cec000)
    libnfnetlink.so.0 => /usr/lib/libnfnetlink.so.0 (0xf7cd4000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x70000000)

- Jeff

On 5/30/09 7:22 AM, "Dan Pascu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It looks as if it's not in the path, or it has a problem while loading.
>
> Please run and paste the results of these commands:
>
> python -c "import sys; print sys.path"
> ldd
> /var/lib/python-support/python2.5/mediaproxy/interfaces/system/_conntrack.so

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Dan Pascu
On Saturday 30 May 2009, Jeff Pyle wrote:

> Dan,
>
> # python -c "import sys; print sys.path"
> ['', '/usr/lib/python2.5', '/usr/lib/python2.5/plat-linux2-sparc',
> '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload',
> '/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages',
> '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages', '/var/lib/python-support/python2.5']
>
> # ldd
> /var/lib/python-support/python2.5/mediaproxy/interfaces/system/_conntrack.so
>     libnetfilter_conntrack.so.1 => /usr/lib/libnetfilter_conntrack.so.1
> (0xf7ea4000)
>     libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xf7e78000)
>     libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xf7d04000)
>     libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xf7cec000)
>     libnfnetlink.so.0 => /usr/lib/libnfnetlink.so.0 (0xf7cd4000)
>     /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x70000000)

Everything seems to be all right there, so I'm not sure what might be wrong.

Try to run the following command (as root or using sudo). It should return
prompt without printing anything. If not paste the output.

python -c "from mediaproxy.interfaces.system import _conntrack"

--
Dan

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Jeff Pyle
Dan,

It did not exit cleanly:

# python -c "from mediaproxy.interfaces.system import _conntrack"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>

On 5/31/09 6:34 AM, "Dan Pascu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Everything seems to be all right there, so I'm not sure what might be wrong.
>
> Try to run the following command (as root or using sudo). It should return
> prompt without printing anything. If not paste the output.
>
> python -c "from mediaproxy.interfaces.system import _conntrack"

Re: debuild error on MediaProxy 2.3.4

Dan Pascu

On 1 Jun 2009, at 16:11, Jeff Pyle wrote:

Dan,

It did not exit cleanly:

# python -c "from mediaproxy.interfaces.system import _conntrack"
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name _conntrack

I do not know what the matter is. The file is there and python has its directory in the path, so it should be able to find it. Maybe it has troubles loading it. Was it built using the same version of python?