drouting (opensips 1.11.x) - maximum number of gateways?

drouting (opensips 1.11.x) - maximum number of gateways?

Max Mühlbronner-2
Hi,

I've never noticed this until i came across it recently. I got a weird issue with drouting, it turned out that even though the gatewaylist ("carrier") contains a total of 20 gateways, only 12 are being used. (all gateways got the same weight)

E.g. if all gws are rejecting the calls, it will cycle through the gatewaylist but it never tries all of the gateways, only 12.

Is there an internal limitation for the number of gateways? I know there is a limitation due to the database scheme, and there is also DR_MAX_GWLIST in the drouting.c module.

Any idea why i am only able to "failover" 12 gateways in a carrier/gatewaylist?

BR

Max Muehlbronner

Re: drouting (opensips 1.11.x) - maximum number of gateways?

Max Mühlbronner-2

I think i got it, default limit is 12 branches in config.h. Which corresponds to my limit of 12 gateways, I will try and report back. :)

#define MAX_BRANCHES    12                      /*!< maximum number of branches per transaction */

Max Mühlbronner
------
42com Telecommunication GmbH
Straße der Pariser Kommune 12-16
10243 Berlin

Fon: +49-(0)30-2434299-28
Fax: +49-(0)30-2434299-99
E-Mail: [hidden email]
Web:
www.42com.com

Firmenangaben/Company information:
Handelsregister/Commercial register: Amtsgericht Berlin HRB 99071 B
Umsatzsteuer-ID/VAT-ID: DE223812306
Geschäftsführer/CEO: Thomas Reinig, Alexander Reinig

Diese E-Mail enthält Informationen von 42com Telecommunication GmbH. Diese sind möglicherweise vertraulich und ausschließlich für den Adressaten bestimmt. Sollten Sie diese elektronische Nachricht irrtümlicherweise erhalten haben, so informieren Sie uns bitte unverzüglich telefonisch oder per E-Mail.

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us immediately.

Re: drouting (opensips 1.11.x) - maximum number of gateways?

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu-2
Hi Max,

Yes, a transaction cannot have more than 12 branches used. But this does not limit how many GWs you can put in Dynamic Routing - you can put as many as you want on DR, but of course only 12 will be tried. But this depends a lot on the GW selection algorithm (with wights, with carriers, etc). To actually end up trying 12 gw for a call is a very rare case, I would say :)

OpenSIPS Bootcamp 2017, Houston, US
  http://opensips.org/training/OpenSIPS_Bootcamp_2017.html
On 07/03/2017 12:19 PM, Max Mühlbronner wrote:

[...]

Thanks, i will try raising max_branches to allow the use of more gateways.

Yeah i know it seems to be unusual to "try" so many gateways, but the setup works with a lot of smaller instances which are immediately rejecting calls when full to allow a failover to the next instances. Load balancing would be a better solution, but is not feasible in my scenario.

Also it seems that tm module additionally has a limit of 30 branches. Anyway it should be enough even for me. :)

BR

Re: drouting (opensips 1.11.x) - maximum number of gateways?

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu-2
Max,

After moving to 30, just check the usage of the shm memory, as TM will start using more (the branches are statically part of the transactions, so the transactions will become larger with 30 branches).

On 07/03/2017 01:42 PM, Max Mühlbronner wrote:

Thanks, i will try raising max_branches to allow the use of more gateways.

Yeah i know it seems to be unusual to "try" so many gateways, but the setup works with a lot of smaller instances which are immediately rejecting calls when full to allow a failover to the next instances. Load balancing would be a better solution, but is not feasible in my scenario.

Also it seems that tm module additionally has a limit of 30 branches. Anyway it should be enough even for me. :)

BR

Re: drouting (opensips 1.11.x) - maximum number of gateways?

Max Mühlbronner-2

Thanks for the hint. I will keep an eye on it.

BR

Max M.