limiting multiple registrations

Jeff Pyle
Hello,

When registrar's max_contacts is set to 1, it appears a UA must
deregister itself before it can register itself from another IP address.
Otherwise the registration is rejected and a log entry appears
indicating the maximum registrations has already been reached.  I'd like
to limit the maximum amount of registrations to 1, but I need any new
registration to supercede an existing one.  Is there a relatively easy
way to do this, or do I need to manually search the location table
before saving each new registration?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: limiting multiple registrations

Brett Nemeroff
I think that makes sense.. why is your UA not deregistering?

If you are just removing power or plugging it in from one network to another without properly unregistering, then I'd expect this behavior.

I don't think the server would have any idea if the UA is unique or not.

Changing the Registration period to be lower might help you with your problem.. But it's just masking the real issue, which is that the old registration isn't being properly deleted.

-Brett

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 7:10 AM, Jeff Pyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

When registrar's max_contacts is set to 1, it appears a UA must
deregister itself before it can register itself from another IP address.
Otherwise the registration is rejected and a log entry appears
indicating the maximum registrations has already been reached.  I'd like
to limit the maximum amount of registrations to 1, but I need any new
registration to supercede an existing one.  Is there a relatively easy
way to do this, or do I need to manually search the location table
before saving each new registration?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: limiting multiple registrations

Jeff Pyle
X-Lite/Eyebeam and a Polycom with 3.x SIP software on it are the only two UAs I know of that deregister.  But I've hardly seen them all.  That being said, I need to knock out any existing registrations on in the registrar when a new, valid one comes in.  I'm not sure how one would do that.  Is there a way to force an expiration before saving the new one?  Or, perhaps to outright delete it through a function of the registrar module somehow?

- Jeff

Re: limiting multiple registrations

Hi Jeff,

removing the registration from the proxy is not a sane thing to do :) -
you still have a client that thinks it is still registered.

What you can do is to set max contacts to 2 and disable parallel forking
in registrar (append_branch param -> 0).
    http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.4.x/registrar.html#id2502622

Also set ordering of the contacts based on time criteria:
    http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.4.x/usrloc.html#id2523601

so, more or less you will have the most recent registrations on top of
the list and you will use only the first one....