millions of routes? what module?

Noel R. Morais
Hi Guys,

I need to build a proxy that should be able to handle millions of
routes, something near 10 millions :D

What is the best module to use in this case? carrierroute or droute?

does anybody have experience in installations like that?

thanks,

Noel

Re: millions of routes? what module?

Brett Nemeroff
I'm pretty sure the going recommendation is droute.

Let us know how that goes. I don't think anyone has actually used it with that many..
-Brett

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Noel R. Morais <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guys,

I need to build a proxy that should be able to handle millions of
routes, something near 10 millions :D

What is the best module to use in this case? carrierroute or droute?

does anybody have experience in installations like that?

thanks,

Noel

Re: millions of routes? what module?

Adrian Georgescu
Wow!

The mother of all LCR tables. I though is just a myth. Can it get even bigger?

Just kidding :-)

Adrian

On Feb 18, 2009, at 3:43 PM, Noel R. Morais wrote:

Hi Guys,

I need to build a proxy that should be able to handle millions of
routes, something near 10 millions :D

What is the best module to use in this case? carrierroute or droute?

does anybody have experience in installations like that?

thanks,

Noel

Re: millions of routes? what module?

Brett Nemeroff
I am curious, tho, why it's so big. I've done large, multi-carrier LCR tables with some prefixes down to like 7 digits and it never seems to get bigger than 700,000 to 1,000,000 routes..

Are you sure your routing is "sane" :)
-Brett

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Adrian Georgescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wow!

The mother of all LCR tables. I though is just a myth. Can it get even bigger?

Just kidding :-)

Adrian

On Feb 18, 2009, at 3:43 PM, Noel R. Morais wrote:

Hi Guys,

I need to build a proxy that should be able to handle millions of
routes, something near 10 millions :D

What is the best module to use in this case? carrierroute or droute?

does anybody have experience in installations like that?

thanks,

Noel

Re: millions of routes? what module?

Ovidiu Sas
If you mix up ratedecks from at least three different NA carriers
(NPA/NXX/B) you can easily end up with 1.5 mil routes ...

Regards,
Ovidiu Sas

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Brett Nemeroff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am curious, tho, why it's so big. I've done large, multi-carrier LCR
> tables with some prefixes down to like 7 digits and it never seems to get
> bigger than 700,000 to 1,000,000 routes..
> Are you sure your routing is "sane" :)
> -Brett
>
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Adrian Georgescu <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Wow!
>> The mother of all LCR tables. I though is just a myth. Can it get even
>> bigger?
>> Just kidding :-)
>> Adrian
>>
>> On Feb 18, 2009, at 3:43 PM, Noel R. Morais wrote:
>>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I need to build a proxy that should be able to handle millions of
>> routes, something near 10 millions :D
>>
>> What is the best module to use in this case? carrierroute or droute?
>>
>> does anybody have experience in installations like that?
>>
>> thanks,
>>

>> Noel

Re: millions of routes? what module?

Hi Noel,

As Brett already recommended, use the Drouting module as it is the only
one able to cope with so large amount of data in an efficient way. See
here some performance considerations:

http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/devel/drouting.html#id227252

Actually there was a guy on the IRC channel (#opensips) testing even
with 1M of rules and the memory scaled linearly (less than  180M  shared
mem for 1M of rules)

So, you may need something like 2G of mem for 10M rules :).

Noel R. Morais wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I need to build a proxy that should be able to handle millions of
> routes, something near 10 millions :D
>
> What is the best module to use in this case? carrierroute or droute?
>
> does anybody have experience in installations like that?
>
> thanks,
>

> Noel

Re: millions of routes? what module?

Noel R. Morais
I'm pretty sure.

I'm from Brazil and here we have number portability "feature".

Today we have 140 millions of cell phone numbers and 100 millions of
landline numbers, so, 240 millions of numbers that can be ported to
another provider.

if only 5% of the people decide to port their numbers, I will end with
12 millions of ported numbers and I need to have this route rules ...
put on this bag the normal routing rules ...

So, it's insane, I think that there is no shortcut, any ideias? :D

so, drouting seems to be The Guy .... I'll try it today and send the
results ...  :D

Cheers,

Noel

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Noel,
>
> As Brett already recommended, use the Drouting module as it is the only one
> able to cope with so large amount of data in an efficient way. See here some
> performance considerations:
>  http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/devel/drouting.html#id227252
>

> Actually there was a guy on the IRC channel (#opensips) testing even with 1M
> of rules and the memory scaled linearly (less than  180M  shared mem for 1M
> of rules)
>
> So, you may need something like 2G of mem for 10M rules :).
>
> Regards,
> Bogdan
>
> Noel R. Morais wrote:
>>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I need to build a proxy that should be able to handle millions of
>> routes, something near 10 millions :D
>>
>> What is the best module to use in this case? carrierroute or droute?
>>
>> does anybody have experience in installations like that?
>>
>> thanks,
>>

>> Noel

Re: millions of routes? what module?

Jeff Pyle
We're running into the same situation here in the states.  In fact, we can't
know the true "home" of a number because of porting until we do an expensive
LRN dip in an external database.  Once we know that, we'll have to compute
the costs of all the potential carriers (I have 6 at the moment), sort by
cost, and use that route list for serial forking.

It's looking like I'm going to have to have a programmer friend help me with
this functionality in Perl since not even the drouting module comes close.

Probably not helpful, but at least you know you're not alone.

- Jeff

On 2/18/09 10:09 AM, "Noel R. Morais" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure.
>
> I'm from Brazil and here we have number portability "feature".
>
> Today we have 140 millions of cell phone numbers and 100 millions of
> landline numbers, so, 240 millions of numbers that can be ported to
> another provider.
>
> if only 5% of the people decide to port their numbers, I will end with
> 12 millions of ported numbers and I need to have this route rules ...
> put on this bag the normal routing rules ...
>
> So, it's insane, I think that there is no shortcut, any ideias? :D
>

> so, drouting seems to be The Guy .... I'll try it today and send the
> results ...  :D
>
> Cheers,
>
> Noel
>
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Noel,
>>
>> As Brett already recommended, use the Drouting module as it is the only one
>> able to cope with so large amount of data in an efficient way. See here some
>> performance considerations:
>>  http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/devel/drouting.html#id227252
>>

>> Actually there was a guy on the IRC channel (#opensips) testing even with 1M
>> of rules and the memory scaled linearly (less than  180M  shared mem for 1M
>> of rules)
>>
>> So, you may need something like 2G of mem for 10M rules :).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bogdan
>>
>> Noel R. Morais wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I need to build a proxy that should be able to handle millions of
>>> routes, something near 10 millions :D
>>>
>>> What is the best module to use in this case? carrierroute or droute?
>>>
>>> does anybody have experience in installations like that?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>

>>> Noel

Re: millions of routes? what module?

Brett Nemeroff
So are you putting in full DIDs for the ported numbers?

In the US, the incumbant providers perform the LNP (Local Number Portability)  lookups and there are large national databases that store this information. I've worked with a couple of independent LNP data providers to route based on an XML query for LNP results.

Static LNP data loaded into a LCR table seems like it would give you constant issues with customers moving around, canceling service, etc.  In general, if portability is implemented properly, you shouldn' thave to think about it.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Noel,
>
> As Brett already recommended, use the Drouting module as it is the only one
> able to cope with so large amount of data in an efficient way. See here some
> performance considerations:
>  http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/devel/drouting.html#id227252
>

> Actually there was a guy on the IRC channel (#opensips) testing even with 1M
> of rules and the memory scaled linearly (less than  180M  shared mem for 1M
> of rules)
>
> So, you may need something like 2G of mem for 10M rules :).
>
> Regards,
> Bogdan
>
> Noel R. Morais wrote:
>>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I need to build a proxy that should be able to handle millions of
>> routes, something near 10 millions :D
>>
>> What is the best module to use in this case? carrierroute or droute?
>>
>> does anybody have experience in installations like that?
>>
>> thanks,
>>

>> Noel

Re: millions of routes? what module?

Adrian Georgescu
Besides ported numbers, which are exception based and for which, you need to have some database, the LCR however is something that can be optimized. I have clients who confronted with same problem simply prefer to throw more data at the database and look for improving the algorithms rather than optimize the provisioning process. They say is you switch you fix it, we cannot ro do not want to optimize it.

So is a more of shared issue between both supplier and carrier they should work together to fix it. This is the hard part ....

Adrian

Noel R. Morais wrote:

Hi Guys,

I need to build a proxy that should be able to handle millions of
routes, something near 10 millions :D

What is the best module to use in this case? carrierroute or droute?

does anybody have experience in installations like that?

thanks,

Noel

Re: millions of routes? what module?

Noel R. Morais
Hi Brett,

I'm out of topic here.

I'm curious about local number portability in US.

How do I know what the provider of a number is? Do I have to pay to know that?

Thanks,

Noel
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Brett Nemeroff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So are you putting in full DIDs for the ported numbers?
>
> In the US, the incumbant providers perform the LNP (Local Number
> Portability)  lookups and there are large national databases that store this
> information. I've worked with a couple of independent LNP data providers to
> route based on an XML query for LNP results.
>
> Static LNP data loaded into a LCR table seems like it would give you
> constant issues with customers moving around, canceling service, etc.  In
> general, if portability is implemented properly, you shouldn' thave to think
> about it.
>

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Noel R. Morais <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm pretty sure.
>>
>> I'm from Brazil and here we have number portability "feature".
>>
>> Today we have 140 millions of cell phone numbers and 100 millions of
>> landline numbers, so, 240 millions of numbers that can be ported to
>> another provider.
>>
>> if only 5% of the people decide to port their numbers, I will end with
>> 12 millions of ported numbers and I need to have this route rules ...
>> put on this bag the normal routing rules ...
>>
>> So, it's insane, I think that there is no shortcut, any ideias? :D
>>

>> so, drouting seems to be The Guy .... I'll try it today and send the
>> results ...  :D
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Noel
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Noel,
>> >
>> > As Brett already recommended, use the Drouting module as it is the only
>> > one
>> > able to cope with so large amount of data in an efficient way. See here
>> > some
>> > performance considerations:
>> >  http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/devel/drouting.html#id227252
>> >

>> > Actually there was a guy on the IRC channel (#opensips) testing even
>> > with 1M
>> > of rules and the memory scaled linearly (less than  180M  shared mem for
>> > 1M
>> > of rules)
>> >
>> > So, you may need something like 2G of mem for 10M rules :).
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Bogdan

Re: millions of routes? what module?

Jiri Kuthan
indeed. in fact, for off-line LNP databases any high-performance database
does it (whose lookup returns something that can be matched against
aggregated routing tables). for on-line database, that's a more complex
story -- we (tklc) have been building such ss7/sigtran systems for years but
that goes far beyond what SER can do.

-jiri