nat_traversal module

Gavin Henry
Hi,

Does http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.5.x/nat_traversal.html
work in tandem with MediaProxy and RTPproxy to handle SIP signalling?

Thanks.

--
http://www.suretecsystems.com/services/openldap/
http://www.suretectelecom.com

Re: nat_traversal module

Iñaki Baz Castillo
El Martes, 2 de Junio de 2009, Gavin Henry escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Does http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.5.x/nat_traversal.html
> work in tandem with MediaProxy and RTPproxy to handle SIP signalling?

Not in tandm, it just works perfectly (it "fixes" NAT issues in signalling
while RrtpProxy/MediaProxy "fix" NAT issue related to media.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>

Re: nat_traversal module

Gavin Henry
2009/6/2 Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>:

> El Martes, 2 de Junio de 2009, Gavin Henry escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.5.x/nat_traversal.html
>> work in tandem with MediaProxy and RTPproxy to handle SIP signalling?
>
> Not in tandm, it just works perfectly (it "fixes" NAT issues in signalling
> while RrtpProxy/MediaProxy "fix" NAT issue related to media.
>
> --
> Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>

Yes, I should have read the docs:

"The nat_traversal module provides support for handling far-end NAT
traversal for SIP signaling. "

I'm confused, wouldn't you need to do both is SIP signalling is
suffering from NAT issues? Or does it depend on media routes?

--
http://www.suretecsystems.com/services/openldap/
http://www.suretectelecom.com

Re: nat_traversal module

Iñaki Baz Castillo
El Martes, 2 de Junio de 2009, Gavin Henry escribió:

> 2009/6/2 Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>:
> > El Martes, 2 de Junio de 2009, Gavin Henry escribió:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Does http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.5.x/nat_traversal.html
> >> work in tandem with MediaProxy and RTPproxy to handle SIP signalling?
> >
> > Not in tandm, it just works perfectly (it "fixes" NAT issues in
> > signalling while RrtpProxy/MediaProxy "fix" NAT issue related to media.
> >
> > --
> > Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>
>
> Yes, I should have read the docs:
>
> "The nat_traversal module provides support for handling far-end NAT
> traversal for SIP signaling. "
>
> I'm confused, wouldn't you need to do both is SIP signalling is
> suffering from NAT issues? Or does it depend on media routes?

You need both.

nat_traversal will fix the NAT issues in signaling (making possible requests
in-dialog as re-INVITE, BYE... to arrive to the natted destination, mantaining
the NAT keepalive for INVITE, REGISTER, SUBSCRIBE...).

mediaproxy or nathelper (rtpproxy) modules allow rewritting the SDP emdia
address in order to force the RTP through a media proxy (MediaProxy or
RtpProxy). This will fix the audio issues when caller and/or called are behind
NAT.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>

Re: nat_traversal module

Gavin Henry
2009/6/2 Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>:

> El Martes, 2 de Junio de 2009, Gavin Henry escribió:

>> > Not in tandm, it just works perfectly (it "fixes" NAT issues in
>> > signalling while RrtpProxy/MediaProxy "fix" NAT issue related to media.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Yes, I should have read the docs:
>>
>> "The nat_traversal module provides support for handling far-end NAT
>> traversal for SIP signaling. "
>>
>> I'm confused, wouldn't you need to do both is SIP signalling is
>> suffering from NAT issues? Or does it depend on media routes?
>
> You need both.
>
> nat_traversal will fix the NAT issues in signaling (making possible requests
> in-dialog as re-INVITE, BYE... to arrive to the natted destination, mantaining
> the NAT keepalive for INVITE, REGISTER, SUBSCRIBE...).
>
> mediaproxy or nathelper (rtpproxy) modules allow rewritting the SDP emdia
> address in order to force the RTP through a media proxy (MediaProxy or
> RtpProxy). This will fix the audio issues when caller and/or called are behind
> NAT.

OK, as I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

Gavin.