nat_traversal samples?

Jeff Chua
If anyone has working opensips.cfg using nat_traversal, please kindly
show me how to set one up correctly.

I'm looking for something like this ...

   SIP Client A -- OpenSIPS B -- VPN (only TCP/IP allowed) -- OpenSIPS
C -- SIP Client D

Thank you,
Jeff

Re: nat_traversal samples?

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Jeff,

You can see how nat traversal is done with nathelper + RTPproxy -
download the opensips virtual machine
(http://www.voice-system.ro/shortcuts::opensips_livedvd)  were you have
a ready to run opensips platform with NAT traversal support - you can
see in the script form the VM how the NAT traversal is done (for
signalling and media).

Jeff Chua wrote:

> If anyone has working opensips.cfg using nat_traversal, please kindly
> show me how to set one up correctly.
>
> I'm looking for something like this ...
>
>    SIP Client A -- OpenSIPS B -- VPN (only TCP/IP allowed) -- OpenSIPS
> C -- SIP Client D
>

> Thank you,
> Jeff

OpenSIPS Event - expo, conf, social, bootcamp
2 - 4 February 2011, ITExpo, Miami,  USA
www.voice-system.ro

Re: nat_traversal samples?

Jeff Chua
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> You can see how nat traversal is done with nathelper + RTPproxy - download
> the opensips virtual machine
> (http://www.voice-system.ro/shortcuts::opensips_livedvd)  were you have a
> ready to run opensips platform with NAT traversal support - you can see in
> the script form the VM how the NAT traversal is done (for signalling and
> media).
>
> Regards,
> Bogdan

Bogdan,

Thanks for the pointer. I've just downloaded the vm, and looked thru
the code. It's using nathelper with rtpproxy ... but rtpproxy only
support UDP. I'm using VPN from my home to my office and the firewall
doesn't allow UDP. That's why I'm thinking of using nat_travesal which
supports TCP. Any pointer to sample config with nat_travesal?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: nat_traversal samples?

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Jeff,

The UDP versus TCP issue is for the communication between opensips and
media relay ? If so, how comes you have a firewall between them ? you
have opensips and the media relay in different networks ?

Jeff Chua wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> You can see how nat traversal is done with nathelper + RTPproxy - download
>> the opensips virtual machine
>> (http://www.voice-system.ro/shortcuts::opensips_livedvd)  were you have a
>> ready to run opensips platform with NAT traversal support - you can see in
>> the script form the VM how the NAT traversal is done (for signalling and
>> media).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bogdan
>>

> Bogdan,
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I've just downloaded the vm, and looked thru
> the code. It's using nathelper with rtpproxy ... but rtpproxy only
> support UDP. I'm using VPN from my home to my office and the firewall
> doesn't allow UDP. That's why I'm thinking of using nat_travesal which
> supports TCP. Any pointer to sample config with nat_travesal?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

OpenSIPS Event - expo, conf, social, bootcamp
2 - 4 February 2011, ITExpo, Miami,  USA
www.voice-system.ro

Re: nat_traversal samples?

Jeff Chua
On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> The UDP versus TCP issue is for the communication between opensips and media
> relay ? If so, how comes you have a firewall between them ? you have
> opensips and the media relay in different networks ?

Bogdan,

I'm looking for something like this ...

SIP Client A -- OpenSIPS B -- VPN (only TCP/IP allowed) -- OpenSIPS C
-- SIP Client D

I read that with nat_travesal, I won't even need rtpproxy or mediaproxy.

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: nat_traversal samples?

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Jeff Chua wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> The UDP versus TCP issue is for the communication between opensips and media
>> relay ? If so, how comes you have a firewall between them ? you have
>> opensips and the media relay in different networks ?
>>

> Bogdan,
>
> I'm looking for something like this ...
>
> SIP Client A -- OpenSIPS B -- VPN (only TCP/IP allowed) -- OpenSIPS C
> -- SIP Client D
>
> I read that with nat_travesal, I won't even need rtpproxy or mediaproxy.

Jeff,

where is the nat part here ? can you directly route between OpenSIPS B
and C ?

Regarding TCP, if everything must go through TCP, that will be
tricky...you can make SIP to go via TCP, but RTP is UDP oriented ...

> Thanks,
> Jeff

OpenSIPS Event - expo, conf, social, bootcamp
2 - 4 February 2011, ITExpo, Miami,  USA
www.voice-system.ro

Re: nat_traversal samples?

Jeff Chua
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:10 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> where is the nat part here ? can you directly route between OpenSIPS B and C
> ?

Bogdan,

I'm trying to use my iPhone from home to route via my PC (vpn). It's
more like this below ...
iPhone, wlan, home PC has private IP. I'm routing from my iPhone to my
PC to the office to get a trunk out.

iPhone - wlan - PC(home) OpenSIPs - VPN - PC(office) OpenSIPS - ISDN

> Regarding TCP, if everything must go through TCP, that will be tricky...you
> can make SIP to go via TCP, but RTP is UDP oriented ...

I know very little about OpenSIPS now, but, again from I read, it
looks like nat_traversal can do the job ... I just need a working
sample if possible. I just can't find it on the net.

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: nat_traversal samples?

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu-2
Jeff,

as you have the VPN, I assume that the home and office PC are in the
same network, to the iphone can directly route to office PC, right ?  or
you home PC is doing a kind of NAT between wifi and VPN ?

Jeff Chua wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:10 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> where is the nat part here ? can you directly route between OpenSIPS B and C
>> ?
>>

> Bogdan,
>
> I'm trying to use my iPhone from home to route via my PC (vpn). It's
> more like this below ...
> iPhone, wlan, home PC has private IP. I'm routing from my iPhone to my
> PC to the office to get a trunk out.
>
> iPhone - wlan - PC(home) OpenSIPs - VPN - PC(office) OpenSIPS - ISDN
>

>> Regarding TCP, if everything must go through TCP, that will be tricky...you
>> can make SIP to go via TCP, but RTP is UDP oriented ...
>>

> I know very little about OpenSIPS now, but, again from I read, it
> looks like nat_traversal can do the job ... I just need a working
> sample if possible. I just can't find it on the net.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

OpenSIPS Event - expo, conf, social, bootcamp
2 - 4 February 2011, ITExpo, Miami,  USA
OpenSIPS solutions and "know-how"

Re: nat_traversal samples?

Jeff Chua
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:50 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> as you have the VPN, I assume that the home and office PC are in the same
> network, to the iphone can directly route to office PC, right ?  or you home
> PC is doing a kind of NAT between wifi and VPN ?

The Cisco VPN only assign one IP to the home PC, and I'm using
masquerading on the PC so the iPhone connecting via my home wireless
LAN behind can get to the office PC.

Jeff