new "disable_503_translation" parameter

Alex Massover

Hi,

Maybe I missed that lesson, but I'm curious what is the idea behind implicit translation of responses (503à500)?

Can somebody explain me please?

--

Best Regards,

Alex Massover

Telephony Group Manager

R&D Department

Jajah Inc.

This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.

Re: new "disable_503_translation" parameter

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Alex,

503 is to indicate a failure of the next hop, so it is a kind of
hop-by-hop failure indication. So, it is bogus to forward should reply
as you will forward the failure indication to a wrong hop.

For example 503 reply is used for DNS-based failover (as trigger).

So, if you have something like:
    phone   ->    proxy   ->   GW

If GW generates a 503 to indicate a failure (so the proxy to take any
failover actions), such reply must not be forwarded to phone, as
otherwise the phone will interpret the reply as a failure indication
from proxy.

Alex Massover wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Maybe I missed that lesson, but I'm curious what is the idea behind
> implicit translation of responses (503à500)?
>
> Can somebody explain me please?
>

> --
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Alex Massover
>
> Telephony Group Manager
>
> R&D Department
>
> Jajah Inc.
>

> This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure System.

OpenSIPS Bootcamp
15 - 19 November 2010, Edison, New Jersey, USA
www.voice-system.ro

Re: new "disable_503_translation" parameter

Iñaki Baz Castillo
2010/9/22 Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]>:
> 503 is to indicate a failure of the next hop, so it is a kind of
> hop-by-hop failure indication. So, it is bogus to forward should reply
> as you will forward the failure indication to a wrong hop.

And RFC 3261 clearly states that a proxy should never relay a 503
response, but instead must transform it into a 500.
:)

<[hidden email]>

Re: new "disable_503_translation" parameter

abdullahjajja
By default opensip translate 503 into 500 below is parameter which you need
to set disable_503_translation=yes default value of this parameter is no

disable_503_translation
If 'yes', OpenSIPS will not translate the received 503 replies into 500
replies (RFC 3261 clearly states that a proxy should never relay a 503
response, but instead it must transform it into a 500).

http://www.opensips.org/Documentation/Script-CoreParameters-1-8#toc34

--
Sent from: http://opensips-open-sip-server.1449251.n2.nabble.com/OpenSIPS-Users-f1449235.html