openSIPS vs Kamailio vs SIP-Router

symack
Hello Everyone,

I can only imagine how many times this question has come up since post
2008. Please forgive
my reoccurring of  the issue.

We are looking to provide carrier grade sip services to our clients
world wide. What we need is a
lightweight, robust and scalable solution that will allow us to
terminate sip calls to our different carriers.
Performance, and high throughput are factors very important to my
employer. Features such as caller
authentication, database back-end, load balancing, and
interoperability with asterisk are things we are
interested in, as was offered using OpenSER.

With three+ open source proxy servers available on the net puts us in
a situation where we have more
solutions to choose from, at the same time wish the features from one
were available in the other, and
vice versa.

With this in mind, we will have to fall back to other factors such as
the most reliable, proven and active
projects. As mentioned, we would choose functional stability over
endless features that we will never use
and that add to the projects fingerprint...

I understand that all three projects are forks from OpenSER, people
would naturally like to know what
differentiates one from the other.

Thanks in Advance,

Nick Khamis
Toronto Hydro Telecom

Re: openSIPS vs Kamailio vs SIP-Router

David J.-2
Nick,

All are used; SIP-Router is really just kamailio; But in terms of
OpenSIP's vs Kamailio they are virtually the same software.

As far as performance goes; I think they are about even. You will notice
some differences for example OpenSIPs has a B2B module that you wont
find in Kamailio; that is used for certain scenarios like topology
hiding; if that is important to you then that maybe a reason to go with
opensips.

They both support common DB access like mysql, postgres.

Each installation has their own criteria, but in terms of scale, both
projects are used in carrier grade deployments. And in some cases both
are used for various reasons in the same network.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions.

On 8/14/11 10:41 PM, Nick Khamis wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I can only imagine how many times this question has come up since post
> 2008. Please forgive
> my reoccurring of  the issue.
>
> We are looking to provide carrier grade sip services to our clients
> world wide. What we need is a
> lightweight, robust and scalable solution that will allow us to
> terminate sip calls to our different carriers.
> Performance, and high throughput are factors very important to my
> employer. Features such as caller
> authentication, database back-end, load balancing, and
> interoperability with asterisk are things we are
> interested in, as was offered using OpenSER.
>
> With three+ open source proxy servers available on the net puts us in
> a situation where we have more
> solutions to choose from, at the same time wish the features from one
> were available in the other, and
> vice versa.
>
> With this in mind, we will have to fall back to other factors such as
> the most reliable, proven and active
> projects. As mentioned, we would choose functional stability over
> endless features that we will never use
> and that add to the projects fingerprint...
>
> I understand that all three projects are forks from OpenSER, people
> would naturally like to know what
> differentiates one from the other.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Nick Khamis
> Toronto Hydro Telecom

Re: openSIPS vs Kamailio vs SIP-Router

Mark Sayer
Ditto what Nick said. Both will likely work for you equally well. The
split of OpenSER into Kamailio and OpenSIPS was a personality issue
between the main developers that didn't really please the wider user
community.

(Not trying to start a flame war, but that's how it felt from here.)

Mark

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM, David J. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nick,
>
> All are used; SIP-Router is really just kamailio; But in terms of OpenSIP's
> vs Kamailio they are virtually the same software.
>
> As far as performance goes; I think they are about even. You will notice
> some differences for example OpenSIPs has a B2B module that you wont find in
> Kamailio; that is used for certain scenarios like topology hiding; if that
> is important to you then that maybe a reason to go with opensips.
>
> They both support common DB access like mysql, postgres.
>
> Each installation has their own criteria, but in terms of scale, both
> projects are used in carrier grade deployments. And in some cases both are
> used for various reasons in the same network.
>
> Hope that helps answer some of your questions.
>

> On 8/14/11 10:41 PM, Nick Khamis wrote:
>>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I can only imagine how many times this question has come up since post
>> 2008. Please forgive
>> my reoccurring of  the issue.
>>
>> We are looking to provide carrier grade sip services to our clients
>> world wide. What we need is a
>> lightweight, robust and scalable solution that will allow us to
>> terminate sip calls to our different carriers.
>> Performance, and high throughput are factors very important to my
>> employer. Features such as caller
>> authentication, database back-end, load balancing, and
>> interoperability with asterisk are things we are
>> interested in, as was offered using OpenSER.
>>
>> With three+ open source proxy servers available on the net puts us in
>> a situation where we have more
>> solutions to choose from, at the same time wish the features from one
>> were available in the other, and
>> vice versa.
>>
>> With this in mind, we will have to fall back to other factors such as
>> the most reliable, proven and active
>> projects. As mentioned, we would choose functional stability over
>> endless features that we will never use
>> and that add to the projects fingerprint...
>>
>> I understand that all three projects are forks from OpenSER, people
>> would naturally like to know what
>> differentiates one from the other.
>>
>> Thanks in Advance,
>>
>> Nick Khamis
>> Toronto Hydro Telecom

Re: openSIPS vs Kamailio vs SIP-Router

symack
Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your responses,

David: The topology hiding feature looks interesting, will defiantly
follow up on it. In terms of running both solutions on the same
network, we would rather stick with one that offers most of what we
are looking for....

Mark: No need for flame wars, it's always good to keep the user
community in mind.

In terms of high availability and more importantly load balancing, do
both projects use the same implementation?

Thanks in Advance,

Nick

Re: openSIPS vs Kamailio vs SIP-Router

David J.-2

Load balancing is the same in both.
What I was saying is that in some networks you may find the need to use both. I was not suggesting that you need to do that. Each has a slightly different subset of modules outside the that each developer made after the split. So potentially you would have a case where one module that you absolutely need is not available in the version your using

On Aug 15, 2011 8:52 AM, "Nick Khamis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Thank you all for your responses,
>
> David: The topology hiding feature looks interesting, will defiantly
> follow up on it. In terms of running both solutions on the same
> network, we would rather stick with one that offers most of what we
> are looking for....
>
> Mark: No need for flame wars, it's always good to keep the user
> community in mind.
>
> In terms of high availability and more importantly load balancing, do
> both projects use the same implementation?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Nick

Re: openSIPS vs Kamailio vs SIP-Router

Hi Nick,

On 08/15/2011 03:52 PM, Nick Khamis wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Thank you all for your responses,
>
> David: The topology hiding feature looks interesting, will defiantly
> follow up on it. In terms of running both solutions on the same
> network, we would rather stick with one that offers most of what we
> are looking for....
Just take a look at the list of modules:
     http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsModules17
and the goodies in last release
     http://www.opensips.org/Main/Ver170
> Mark: No need for flame wars, it's always good to keep the user
> community in mind.
I guess the volume of this mailing list and the rich documentation
proves how important the community is for the OpenSIPS project.

> In terms of high availability and more importantly load balancing, do
> both projects use the same implementation?
OpenSIPS has a nice carrier-grade LB support:
     http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsTutorials#toc4

> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Nick

OpenSIPS eBootcamp - 19th of September 2011
OpenSIPS solutions and "know-how"

Re: openSIPS vs Kamailio vs SIP-Router

Brett Nemeroff

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mark: No need for flame wars, it's always good to keep the user
community in mind.

I guess the volume of this mailing list and the rich documentation proves how important the community is for the OpenSIPS project.

Nick,
To echo a lot of other users who have provided input, I think you'll see a lot of features, especially core feature are pretty similar amongst the projects. My decision to stick with OpenSIPs is based on the quality of the communication amongst  members in the OpenSIPs community and the frequency and quality of the updates to the project. In general, I'm looking for a project that regularly squashes bugs, and carefully rolls out features such that the core "stable" product doesn't become bloated and unstable.

-Brett