opensips performance

Ramachandran, Agalya (Contractor)

Hi Bogdan/team,

Am using opensips 2.2.2 version and using opensips as only proxy.

In the default script, in route[relay], I have called setdsturi(); No other changes with the default script.

Earlier, I have used only the default value of S_MEMORY and P_MEMORY in the /etc/default/opensips.

With this default values, for the end to end established call , I could reach only 150cps.

·         When I tried to increase S_MEMORY and P_MEMORY to 1024 and 64 respectively, and having opensips children =24, I could achieve 1000 cps.

·         I have also re-tuned OpenSIPS log file, by adding “-/var/log/opensips.log”.

·         I have set the log_level =1

When I see opensips performance with default script I see you are achieving 9000cps.

Am running on VM, with 8 core CPU, 16GB RAM  and processor is Intel Xeon E312xx(Sandy Bridge).

What are the places I need to take a look to tune up still, to get more performance. Your expertise would help me a lot.

In this particular test, I am not performing any DB operations /REST operations.

This is pure proxy, using default script.

Regards,
Agalya

Re: opensips performance

Razvan Crainea-3
Hi, Agalya!

I've just written an article about dimensioning OpenSIPS memory on the
OpenSIPS blog[1]. Perhaps that can help you.

To do further debugging, you should add some thresholds warnings to
determine what function spends most of the time processing. You can do
this by using msg thresholds[2].

Its also a good idea to check how DNS behaves on your system, using the
dns threshold[3].

Also, monitoring statistics, like memory and load might be useful for
your debug. Also, make sure bandwidth is not a problem either!

PS: for the test in the article I used my personal laptop (2 cores, 8GB
RAM) and reached 500CPS with 20 children.

[1]
https://blog.opensips.org/2016/12/29/understanding-and-dimensioning-memory-in-opensips/
[2] http://www.opensips.org/Documentation/Script-CoreParameters-2-2#toc60
[3] http://www.opensips.org/Documentation/Script-CoreParameters-2-2#toc59

Răzvan Crainea
OpenSIPS Core Developer
http://www.opensips-solutions.com

On 12/23/2016 08:39 PM, Ramachandran, Agalya (Contractor) wrote:

> Hi Bogdan/team,
>

> Am using opensips 2.2.2 version and using opensips as only proxy.
>
> In the default script, in route[relay], I have called setdsturi(); No
> other changes with the default script.
>

> Earlier, I have used only the default value of S_MEMORY and P_MEMORY in
> the /etc/default/opensips.
>
> With this default values, for the end to end established call , I could
> reach only 150cps.
>

> ·         When I tried to increase *S_MEMORY and P_MEMORY to 1024 and
> 64*respectively, and having opensips *children =24*, I could achieve
> 1000 cps.
>
> ·         I have also re-tuned OpenSIPS log file, by adding
> “-/var/log/opensips.log”.
>
> ·         I have set the log_level =1
>

> When I see opensips performance with default script I see you are
> achieving 9000cps.
>
> Am running on VM, with 8 core CPU, 16GB RAM  and processor is Intel Xeon
> E312xx(Sandy Bridge).
>
> *What are the places I need to take a look to tune up still, to get more
> performance. Your expertise would help me a lot. *
>
> * *
>
> In this particular test, I am not performing any DB operations /REST
> operations.
>
> This is pure proxy, using default script.
>

> Regards,
> Agalya

Re: opensips performance

deizeppe
Hi, is there any command that shows the value of CPS?

Thanks in advance

Re: opensips performance

aqsyounas
You could use ratelimit module.
http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/2.2.x/ratelimit.html
This is how I am doing in my configuration.

{
        $var(user) = "system";
        set_dlg_profile($var(user));
        rl_check("$var(user)", "99999", "TAILDROP");
        get_profile_size("system", "$var(size)");
        xlog("The System has CPS: $rl_count($var(user)) and CC: $var(size)");
        route(relay);
Hope it helps.

On 6 April 2017 at 02:06, deizeppe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, is there any command that shows the value of CPS?

Thanks in advance

Re: opensips performance

Qasim Ayyaz
I think there is no such direct command that will calculate CPS for you, However there are certainly ways you can calculate this CPS (One example given by Aqs) but since you are crunching maximum CPS from opensips i would recommend that you dont use opensips for its calculation, reason being that you will have to invoke extra modules and functions to achieve the task hence increasing complexity to your configuration.

Having said that i would recommend that you simply put a log for every incoming invite and offload the TPS calculation to some external script e.g. #grep -c "Apr  7 14:" this will give you total logs in one hour and you divide it by 3600 gives you average CPS per hour. You can set the resolution to your requirement.

I know this seems a bit dumb solution but then again i guess 'it aint stupid if it works' :), and you can always come up with some fancy way of doing the same thing.

Regards,
Qasim