[presence] timer for waiting or pending states in winfo

[presence] timer for waiting or pending states in winfo

Iñaki Baz Castillo
Hi, how does OpenSIPS implement the timers for "pending" and "waiting" status
in Subscription State Machine (RFC 3857 Section 4.7.1):

   Of course, policy may never be specified for the subscription.  As a
   result, the server can generate a giveup event to move the waiting
   subscription to the terminated state.  The amount of time to wait
   before issuing a giveup event is system dependent.

   The giveup event is generated in either the waiting or pending states
   to destroy resources associated with unauthorized subscriptions.
   This event is generated when a giveup timer fires. This timer is set
   to a timeout value when entering either the pending or waiting
   states.  Servers need to exercise care in selecting this value.  It
   needs to be large in order to provide a useful user experience; a
   user should be able to log in days later and see that someone tried
   to subscribe to them.  However, allocating state to unauthorized
   subscriptions can be used as a source of DoS attacks.  Therefore, it
   is RECOMMENDED that servers that retain state for unauthorized
   subscriptions add policies which prohibit a particular subscriber
   from having more than some number of pending or waiting
   subscriptions.

This is, A subscribes to B whie B is not registered. B becomes registered
after 2 days and subscribes to its own watcher information. Would B receive
the notification about the subscribe attemp from A to B?

Thanks.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>

Re: [presence] timer for waiting or pending states in winfo

Anca Vamanu-2
Hi Inaki,

The current implementation keeps the waiting subscription for 24h only
and it is a hard coded value. Maybe it should be done configurable.

regards,
Anca

2009/6/15 Anca Vamanu <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Inaki,
>
> The current implementation keeps the waiting subscription for 24h only and
> it is a hard coded value. Maybe it should be done configurable.

Hi Anca, thanks for the response.
Maybe 24 hours is a too low value (IMHO).

<[hidden email]>

Re: [presence] timer for waiting or pending states in winfo

Anca Vamanu-2
Yes, I think you are right. I will introduce a module parameter for it
and set the default value to 3 days.

Anca

Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:

> 2009/6/15 Anca Vamanu <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi Inaki,
>>
>> The current implementation keeps the waiting subscription for 24h only and
>> it is a hard coded value. Maybe it should be done configurable.
>>

> Hi Anca, thanks for the response.
> Maybe 24 hours is a too low value (IMHO).

Re: [presence] timer for waiting or pending states in winfo

Iñaki Baz Castillo
2009/6/15 Anca Vamanu <[hidden email]>:
> Yes, I think you are right. I will introduce a module parameter for it and
> set the default value to 3 days.

Great! thanks a lot.

<[hidden email]>

Re: [presence] timer for waiting or pending states in winfo

Adrian Georgescu
Hi

Shouldn't this parameter reflect the actual possibility that both parties go in holiday at different moments in time and they might miss each others first subscriptions.

If for instance Alice subscribes to Bob and Bob is offline but comes after 4 days and then sets his pidf-manipulation XCAP document with lets say "I am in holiday for 30 days in Jamaica", Alice might come back after that at any time and get no notify as Bob missed her presence.winfo NOTIFY.

Isn't 30 days a more appropriate default value for this?

Adrian