priority differences between carrierroute and drouting

priority differences between carrierroute and drouting

Gabriel Bermudez
Hi everybody,

I've read the documentation on carrierroute and drouting, about the algorithm used to select a gateway.  I understand that on carrierroute the gateway selected depends on the prefix dialed and the value of the prob field.  For example for prefix 49, gateway x.x.x.x with prob=0.2 and gateway y.y.y.y with prob=0.8 can exists in the carrierroute table.

+----+---------+-----------+-----------------+-------+--------+-------------------+
| id | carrier | domain | scan_prefix | flags | prob | rewrite_host  |
+----+---------+-----------+-----------------+-------+--------+-------------------+
| 1  |       1 |      0      | 49              |     0 |  0.2   | x.x.x.x         |
| 2  |       1 |      0      | 49              |     0 |  0.8   | y.y.y.y         |
+----+---------+-----------+-----------------+-------+--------+-------------------+

I understand that this means 20% of the calls will be sent to x.x.x.x and 80% to y.y.y.y
Is this the same for drouting, or only the highest priority rule is selected?

Thanks for your answers

Re: priority differences between carrierroute and drouting

Gabriel Bermudez
Seems that a weighted load balancing is not directly posible with
drouting (http://lists.opensips.org/pipermail/users/2009-September/008106.html),
but you can trick the system to behave like this. It would be great if
the module could also support this feature natively, maybe by handling
a special format on the gwlist colum (GW1=0.4,GW2=0.2,GW3=0.4)

I was interested on use drouting, because it can be managed with
opensips control panel.  Is the carrierroute module on plans?

2010/2/1 Gabriel Bermudez <[hidden email]>

> Hi everybody,
>
> I've read the documentation on carrierroute and drouting, about the algorithm used to select a gateway.  I understand that on carrierroute the gateway selected depends on the prefix dialed and the value of the prob field.  For example for prefix 49, gateway x.x.x.x with prob=0.2 and gateway y.y.y.y with prob=0.8 can exists in the carrierroute table.
>
> +----+---------+-----------+-----------------+-------+--------+-------------------+
> | id | carrier | domain | scan_prefix | flags | prob | rewrite_host  |
> +----+---------+-----------+-----------------+-------+--------+-------------------+
> | 1  |       1 |      0      | 49              |     0 |  0.2   | x.x.x.x         |
> | 2  |       1 |      0      | 49              |     0 |  0.8   | y.y.y.y         |
> +----+---------+-----------+-----------------+-------+--------+-------------------+
>
> I understand that this means 20% of the calls will be sent to x.x.x.x and 80% to y.y.y.y
> Is this the same for drouting, or only the highest priority rule is selected?
>
> Thanks for your answers

Re: priority differences between carrierroute and drouting

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Gabriel,

The selection of the Gateways (from the list for a prefix) is a bit more
complex in Drouting as you have 3 ways of choosing (including random,
group based, etc) - see the "sort" param
http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/devel/drouting.html#id272114.
But indeed, maybe a new mode (for sort) could be added for having
directly weight.

CR module in opensips is not actively maintained.

www.voice-system.ro

Re: priority differences between carrierroute and drouting

Gabriel Bermudez
HI Bodgan,

2010/2/4 Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Gabriel,
>
> The selection of the Gateways (from the list for a prefix) is a bit more
> complex in Drouting as you have 3 ways of choosing (including random,
> group based, etc) - see the "sort" param
> http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/devel/drouting.html#id272114.
> But indeed, maybe a new mode (for sort) could be added for having
> directly weight.

then, can this be a feature request? :D

> CR module in opensips is not actively maintained.

then one more reason to change to drouting.  I was thinking on I

> Regards,
> Bogdan
>

> Gabriel Bermudez wrote:
>> Seems that a weighted load balancing is not directly posible with
>> drouting (http://lists.opensips.org/pipermail/users/2009-September/008106.html),
>> but you can trick the system to behave like this. It would be great if
>> the module could also support this feature natively, maybe by handling
>> a special format on the gwlist colum (GW1=0.4,GW2=0.2,GW3=0.4)
>>
>> I was interested on use drouting, because it can be managed with
>> opensips control panel.  Is the carrierroute module on plans?
>>
>> 2010/2/1 Gabriel Bermudez <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I've read the documentation on carrierroute and drouting, about the algorithm used to select a gateway.  I understand that on carrierroute the gateway selected depends on the prefix dialed and the value of the prob field.  For example for prefix 49, gateway x.x.x.x with prob=0.2 and gateway y.y.y.y with prob=0.8 can exists in the carrierroute table.
>>>
>>> +----+---------+-----------+-----------------+-------+--------+-------------------+
>>> | id | carrier | domain | scan_prefix | flags | prob | rewrite_host  |
>>> +----+---------+-----------+-----------------+-------+--------+-------------------+
>>> | 1  |       1 |      0      | 49              |     0 |  0.2   | x.x.x.x         |
>>> | 2  |       1 |      0      | 49              |     0 |  0.8   | y.y.y.y         |
>>> +----+---------+-----------+-----------------+-------+--------+-------------------+
>>>
>>> I understand that this means 20% of the calls will be sent to x.x.x.x and 80% to y.y.y.y
>>> Is this the same for drouting, or only the highest priority rule is selected?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your answers
>>>
>>> Regards,

> Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> www.voice-system.ro

Re: priority differences between carrierroute and drouting

Gabriel Bermudez
HI Bodgan,

2010/2/4 Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Gabriel,
>
> The selection of the Gateways (from the list for a prefix) is a bit more
> complex in Drouting as you have 3 ways of choosing (including random,
> group based, etc) - see the "sort" param
> http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/devel/drouting.html#id272114.
> But indeed, maybe a new mode (for sort) could be added for having
> directly weight.

then, can this be a feature request? :D

> CR module in opensips is not actively maintained.

then one more reason to change to drouting.  I was thinking maybe I
could help with the development of the opensips control panel's
carrierroute module.  I'm no php expert but I do have the need to
manage my carrier routes.  Is there someone in charge of the project
that I could contact to get a little coding insight?

Gabriel Bermudez wrote:

> HI Bodgan,
>
> 2010/2/4 Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi Gabriel,
>>
>> The selection of the Gateways (from the list for a prefix) is a bit more
>> complex in Drouting as you have 3 ways of choosing (including random,
>> group based, etc) - see the "sort" param
>> http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/devel/drouting.html#id272114.
>> But indeed, maybe a new mode (for sort) could be added for having
>> directly weight.
>>

> then, can this be a feature request? :D

Sure it does :)

>> CR module in opensips is not actively maintained.
>>

> then one more reason to change to drouting.  I was thinking maybe I
> could help with the development of the opensips control panel's
> carrierroute module.  I'm no php expert but I do have the need to
> manage my carrier routes.  Is there someone in charge of the project
> that I could contact to get a little coding insight?

Sure, that will be great - you can use the opensips devel list for your
questions on CP.

www.voice-system.ro