"opensipsctl fifo get_statistics 5xx_replies" - counter not incrementing

"opensipsctl fifo get_statistics 5xx_replies" - counter not incrementing

solarmon
Hi,

I'm trying to graph the 4xx and 5xx stats on my opensips cluster. I'm making use of the "opensipsctl fifo get_statistics" command to extract the 4xx and 5xx replies counters.

The 4xx counter (opensipsctl fifo get_statistics 4xx_replies) seems to incrementing as expected.

However, the 5xx counter (opensipsctl fifo get_statistics 5xx_replies) seems to stuck. One cluster the value is zero and the other clusters have an arbitrary high value. I'm expecting this counter to increase as I am seeing 5xx replies going to our opensips clusters.

Are these reply counters for outbound or inbound or both directions?

Why would the counter be stuck even when I can see such 5xx replies (inbound) in the logs and in SIP traces (using sngrep).

Thank you.

Re: "opensipsctl fifo get_statistics 5xx_replies" - counter not incrementing

Do you do understand by "stuck" ? no reply to the "get_statistics" cmd? or the value of the statistic does not change ?

Both 4xx and 5xx stats count all transactions completed with such replies.

  https://www.opensips-solutions.com
OpenSIPS Summit, Amsterdam, May 2020

On 3/19/20 2:56 PM, solarmon wrote:
[...]

I meant that the 5xx_transactions  counter value does not increment.

However, I have now found the stats counter "5xx_transactions". This does seem to increment appropriately.

So what is the difference between "5xx_replies" and "5xx_transactions"?

Thank you.

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 10:55, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu-2
https://opensips.org/html/docs/modules/3.0.x/tm.html#exported_statistics

Not sure where do you get these 5xx_replies stats - which module are they provided by ?

On 3/20/20 1:15 PM, solarmon wrote:
[...]

I use opensips 2.4 and the command "opensipsctl fifo get_statistics 5xx_replies" - as documented at:

Thank you.

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 11:22, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ben Newlin

I believe the XXX_replies statistics only count StateLess (SL module) messages. XXX_transactions count transaction handled by the TM module.

So if replies are incrementing but not transactions, it means you are not creating transactions for these messages.

Ben Newlin

Re: "opensipsctl fifo get_statistics 5xx_replies" - counter not incrementing

solarmon
Hi Ben,

Thanks for your input.

It is the other way around - in my case, the transaction counters are incrementing, but not the replies counters.

Thank you.

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 13:09, Ben Newlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

I believe the XXX_replies statistics only count StateLess (SL module) messages. XXX_transactions count transaction handled by the TM module.

So if replies are incrementing but not transactions, it means you are not creating transactions for these messages.

Ben Newlin

Re: "opensipsctl fifo get_statistics 5xx_replies" - counter not incrementing

Ben Newlin

Apologies for the confusion.

So that is expected if you are using the TM module and creating transactions for all of the 5xx responses, as far as I know.

Ben Newlin

Re: "opensipsctl fifo get_statistics 5xx_replies" - counter not incrementing

solarmon
Hi Ben,

OK, but why is there already a counter value for  5xx_replies - it is non zero.

Actually, what I have just done at the moment is to put my clusters in 'drain mode' - so all SIP Options pings to it will be responded with a 503. When in this mode, the  5xx_replies counters are going up.

Thus, I believe  5xx_replies is for 503 replies coming from opensips, and possibly 5xx_transactions is for 503 responses going to opensips.

Thank you.

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 16:01, Ben Newlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Apologies for the confusion.

So that is expected if you are using the TM module and creating transactions for all of the 5xx responses, as far as I know.

Ben Newlin

Re: "opensipsctl fifo get_statistics 5xx_replies" - counter not incrementing

Ben Newlin

The 5xx_replies would be non-zero because you are sending stateless 503 replies. Either using “sl_send_reply” or calling “send_reply” from the signaling module without creating a transaction first. This makes sense for sending negative OPTIONS replies; you don’t want to create a transaction for that you just reply quickly and statelessly and your count goes up.

The 5xx_transactions counter increments for any transaction that ends with a 5xx response *to* OpenSIPS, you are correct about that part. But if you have a single transaction and OpenSIPS receives a 5xx response and then relays that response upstream, 5xx_replies will not be incremented. So it is not as simple as the from and to.

Similarly, if you were to forward a message downstream statelessly, without creating a transaction or using TM, and then received a 5xx response, 5xx_transactions counter would not be incremented because there was no transaction. But 5xx _replies would be incremented when you relayed the response upstream, because it was done statelessly. Again, not quite as simple as received vs sent.

Ben Newlin